• mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Karen!

Chris in MA
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Lenora: I am a dirty martini girl. Although I usually only have one. They are for sipping for sure as they are all alcohol. Most of my enjoyment comes from the martini glass. I love stemware. I don’t particularly care for shots. People seem to do several shots at a time and each shot is almost equal to the alcohol content of a martini.

Michele: I think weddings bring out the worst in people. You know DH and I had a surprise wedding. After most of our family members caused conflict and confusion we got so disgusted one afternoon we decided to cancel everything and asked our pastor to marry us in his office. He decided that it would not do and said he would marry us at the conclusion of service two weeks later. His sermon that morning was about wedded life. He concluded by saying all that was needed was a groom and DH went to the alter; he then said all that was needed was a bride and I marched down the aisle. It was wonderful. We did have an opportunity to get our parents there. Nobody else knew there would be a wedding that morning. We merely asked our children to come to church with us that morning without telling them why. We had a very small reception at home. Needless to say it altered our opinion of several family members in a negative manner. We also saved thousands of dollars. I bought my gown from Alfred Angelo’s (the store that went bankrupt) and was able to wear it for the ceremony. Denise will always know that you did everything you could to support her in this endeavor and will remember that her MIL is pushy. Be the gracious one and know that MIL’s behavior will manifest itself later in their marriage. Denise will be forewarned and ready to take appropriate actions.

Karen: Happy Happy Birthday!

yiovbdtpa1iy.jpg

Tere in RVA
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    Tere, love your wedding story and your advice to Michele. We seem to get worked up over the tiniest details sometimes. I remember my daughter freaking out because the post office raised the price of stamps right before her invitations were due to go out and the new wedding stamp was not ready. She had to use the old stamp and a stamp with flowers to make it the two cents or whatever the raise was. You would have thought the world had ended. Then when my cousin's son was getting married, they were having a very simple Christmas season church wedding on a budget with friends and family providing finger foods to go with barbecue in the fellowship hall. The bride wanted peanut butter and jelly finger sandwiches because PB&J is her favorite. My cousin ranted and raved to me (thank goodness not to her). My son is marrying a child. She needs to grow up. Who has PB&J at a wedding? I told her to get over it. It was Kayla's wedding and if she wanted PB&J then she could have it. It was fine. The spread of food was great, and everybody had a good time. Nobody gossiped or judged because there was kiddie food. In the end, that kind of stuff doesn't matter. The wedding is about the people, not the things.

Oh, and if you can bear with me, one more wedding story where my daughter could have freaked, but she didn't. She had already asked her fiancé's niece and nephew to be flower girl and ring bearer. My mother completely overstepped the line and told my brother's little girl that she and her little brother could be flower girl and ring bearer. I could not believe my mother. I was flabbergasted. My daughter graciously said, well we can't hurt their feelings. I'll just have two flower girls, a ring bearer, and a Bible bearer. It truly is about the people in the end. There will always be folks (like my mother and Pete's mother) who overstep. Sometimes you have to set them straight. Sometimes it's best to take the high road.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Michele – Then the ‘news’ had it all wrong when they showed the pictures on the news here; looked like it was David’s Bridal and that a store right across the street was offering a discount. I’d STILL be pissed if I have ‘purchased’ my gown and was not allowed to get it. Especially if my wedding was coming up in 6 days. Depending on the type of bankruptcy they are going through, the brides who have weddings way out, might be able to petition the bankruptcy court that they had paid for the gowns and that they should be allowed to pick them up. Of course, they’d have to have a receipt to do this … if it could be done at all. I assumed it was the entire chain; or else I would have thought they would have just put the inventory in another store in another town. Y’all better call and find out what is going on, you certainly do not want to have money tied up in gowns and then not be able to get them, especially at the last moment. Hopefully y’all have already picked them up.

When I walked yesterday, the humidity about killed me. Even after I cooled down and then took a shower, my face was still ‘beet red’. I am surprised I was able to get up this AM to eat breakfast with Louis, but, I did. I’m still sore; but, maybe running errands and going to the grocery store will work that out. We had bad storms and lightening, too. Right after I got home. Louis said that 2 of the jobs they were to go on had the ‘floor men’ there and therefore they couldn’t work them; then they went to an outside job and it started raining, so he was home before 4:00pm.

Becca – I thought the apron as a window covering was cute! I have 2 shelves in front of my kitchen window and the bottom sill has wood on it; so I put some of my flamingos and a few plants on it. That way I can watch the hummingbird feeder without scaring them away. They’ve been sucking it down on the deck side. Next time I had to fill them I will have to soak them in some bleach water to get the mildew out of them. We normally get a wasp or two in a couple. The carpenter bees, get into the bee traps and then are ‘too stupid’ to get out because they don’t know to fly down.

My DDnL#2 painted the ceiling of her porch and carport ‘sky blue’ … that way the wrens won’t build nests in them.

Ginger - Pizza got me, too, this weekend; but, after yesterday’s walk-a-thon, maybe I worked it all off.

Barbie – Cute house. So, in front of the ‘river rock’ barrier; what are those stones, and is that a road right in front of them?

Joyce – With the heat index being as high as it has been, I have had to water the plants on our porch about every 3rd day. When it is going to rain, I drag my big Kimberly Queen and Leather Leaf fern to the 2nd step of the deck stairs along with my 2 Boston Ferns. Then Louis waters my 3 hanging baskets on the porch of my studio. I have some sort of plant, not sure what it is, has thick leaves and if you break them off, they quickly root. It has been blooming all over the place for the past 3 months. Has a waxy light pink cluster of flowers that have a very faint sweet scent. The a spider plants, and a Moses in the Basket (purple plant with pink flower that look like they are ‘in a boat/canoe’. All my other ferns are on a thing that looks like a wooden swing set. Biggest problem is I cannot reach up to get any of them off without a ladder. I know it is not in the best place because it get sun from morning to noon, then it is shaded by my studio after that. We’ve been planning for a long time to make a patio around the tractor wheel we use as a burn pit. We have about a pallet of bricks that came off the chimney to the old farmhouse that was on the land. I’d like to get 1 or 2 more pallets of brick and think I’d like to get some stone to put around the tractor wheel to ‘hide’ it to camouflage it.

Sharon – I feel so sorry for all those affected by the storms all over. Losing everything they have and most of all losing things that cannot even be replaced. My DYS used to collect baseball cards. He has a trunk load of them, and then about 9 big binders of them. He said to us (once) that if the house caught on fire, we needed to get them out. Sorry son, we’ll get out; but, that might be about all. I’m not going to die in a fire trying to save something. We really want to be able to take them out to him this summer; but, I don’t know where he could store them. Actually, Tami bought him a big gun safe; and, they put it on an outside wall (or will … I don’t think he has it yet; but, his DFnL built him a bed to go into the lake place like they have that belonged to Tami before they married. It has drawers all the way around it and you just have to put a big mattress on it. Hers has an old door as a headboard; I don’t think his has a headboard (at least not at the moment. But, since the lake place is a trailer; they are going to have to enforce the MBR floor because of the weight of the bed and the gun safe. But, that is something that he and his DFnL can do.

Karen in Virginia – Happy 63rd birthday. My oldest son was due on July 4, 1976; but, I told my OB/GYN that he’d be closer to 3 weeks early (and he was 6/16). Because it was the Bicentennial birthday of the USA … he got a special birth certificate that we could hang on the wall. I am pretty sure he’s got it. When my DYS was born 27 months later, we had moved to Macon; but, his birth certificate was a picture superimposed on the BC. I sent that to him so they could get their marriage certificate. Tami and he were in the car and she took a selfie with it, then when they got her new SSN in her name we got a copy of it; but, the other info had been redacted.

Lanette – Talking about HOT, Will was born on 8/31 … and I looked like I had a beach ball stuck up under my shirt; from the back, I did not even look pregnant, had a waistline. He constantly kicked me and it was like a 4-point landing … one of the reasons they thought I was carrying twins. I was considered a ‘high risk pregnancy’ because of having an Hyditidaformole pregnancy before having Trey … so even then, although they closely monitors me, my HCG levels were more elevated than someone carrying a single child. I look at him and ‘think’ … OMGoodness … what WOULD I have done if they both had the same personality? He was in constant motion. I ended up putting a harness on him so he would bolt away from me. I got confronted once in a parking lot and I about cursed a woman out about sticking her nose in my business. It was for HIS protection, I did not want to have a ‘dead child’ in a parking lot (as a car sped through the parking lot going the wrong way and cutting across it like he was in a race. Trey on the other hand was a ‘roller’, he’d roll over if I got into a comfortable position or if I stood and talked to others. Both of them would stick their feet out.

Katla – Yes, that is the same exhibit …. I would go again, if it ever came back down South within a 3 hour ride one way.

I grew up in a small town (now it is almost like a suburb of Macon (25 miles from each other; but, growing fast. I had a happy childhood and enjoyed going to school. Worked as a lifeguard at the city pool with about 11 other of my friends for 3 years. I used to wish that I could be the ‘new kid’ a few times; but, now that we have moved into a county where the people ‘think’ if you have not been born here – or have a lot of money – you are an outsider. They won’t even ‘give’ you a chance to be a part of their circles. I don’t care any longer … I have friends in Albany and I see my BF every other Tuesday when I go to get weighed in. The rest of them, I keep up via FB. Having my DOS and his family next door has been both a ‘blessing’ and a ‘curse’; but, mostly a BLESSING.

My DMnL helped me with ‘both’ my sons; but she was a ‘nanny’ and my own Mother just did not ‘like’ babies, period. As we got older, I think she liked us; but, she was never very demonstrative; but, at least our Daddy was, at least until we started into puberty; then we could no longer sit in his lap or on him when he was laying down on the couch. One reason was we were too big and heavy. But, I would lay down beside him and lay of my side just to be close. When he had his stroke (which he ultimately died from complications) and was in the ICU. If I walked into the room the ‘bells and whistles would all go crazy’. My Mother would stand ‘right outside the door’ and if she stood in the doorframe, they would slow down. I was grown and married by that time. I remember climbing up in his bed in ICU and telling him that ‘he could go “Home”; but, when I died, I wanted him to “Call me, Dale, Daddy!” Because he always called me Dale (unless I was ‘in trouble’) and that way I would know that I had died and it wasn’t a bad dream.

I know I probably took my childhood for granted; but, I had great parents who let us try new things and also made sure I always had an ‘art teacher’. But, I do remember sitting beside my Mother’s death bed and apologizing for being ‘such a handful’. The Tuesday before she died on Saturday my oldest sister told me that if I wanted to see her ‘lucid’ I needed to come on up, they were going to be giving her Morphine later that day. I went up, checked into a motel, and went straight to the A.L.F. When I walked in, she had been sleeping and opened her eyes and said, “Hi there!” I thought she probably thought I was Suzanne and asked her ‘if she knew who I was’? Very indignantly she said, “OF COURSE I DO!” And she called me by name. The next day my middle sister flew up from Miami; and, even though she was on ‘morphine’ when she came in, she opened her eyes and said, ‘you’re here, good’. She went back to sleep and never woke up, not even when her brother finally showed up, on Friday. I had gotten to the point, that I no longer cared for him much due to the way he acted when Mimi was sick once. I called him to tell him that she was hallucinating and I thought he needed to come down. He acted like I had told him to ‘go to the moon and bring me an ice cream cone’. He said, ‘oh, your Mother just tends to over exaggerated. MY MOTHER NEEDS A FREAKING BREAK!!! She’s been with her 4 days 24/7. Go to Hell-o Kitty; but, that isn’t all I said. He and his ‘wife’ (2nd one) came down. When she died and they were dividing up things, my Daddy told her that neither of them were to go over there, because he did not want her to be saying, ‘Oh, I want that’! It worked out for just the 2 of them to divided things up. Later I asked him, ‘if he ever did not want the other ½ of Mimi’s china, would he allow me to buy it from him’? That’s when he told me, ‘no, I have 5 children and one of them might want it’. Two of them were step-children. His wife had gotten rid of his first wife’s collection of elephants, without asking any of his 3 children if they wanted it. Karen had. They came to the funeral and she said that they’d have to wait until she had the Will probated before they could come in and ‘ask’ for what they wanted. Knowing her, she probably changed her own Will to cut them out. She’d act all ‘sweetness and light’ when she was around our family; but, she had very little to do with his 3 children.

Don’t expect a lot of people to show up on a ‘holiday weekend’ … especially one that signifies the ‘end of summer’.

Sounds like there is going to be some tension between each set of parents; but, that is often the case when the couple live so near to one set and not the other. If they have children together it will get worse, probably. A friend of mine’s son married an only child and he told his Mom that he felt like he had gotten married to two women. She was constantly calling her Mother about ‘what should I do’? About ‘every little thing’. They have fought over custody, visitation, child support, and whether or not the child can come visit his other set of grandparents (who have been to Columbus, GA for every single hearing). The Mother of the wife had a lot to say about that; but, she is also there. This has been going on for nearly 2 years. They are divorced; but, they cannot agree to a “Settlement Agreement” because when they are close her mother throws monkey wrench into the middle of things. It is ‘constant’. He made the comment to his Mother that his ‘wife would even sleep with her own mother’. They just could not let go of one another. This ‘not letting go’ might be what Pete’s mother is having such a problem with. I know it was difficult to ‘let go of our boys’; but, I did. Because that is what the Bible says parents should do when they child takes on a spouse. ONLY if I am ‘asked’ will I put my 2¢ in, and I always caveat it with … ‘well, if it was my decision … this is what I’d do; but, it isn’t … so that is just a suggestion’. I’ve chewed off the tip of my tongue MANY TIMES!!!!!

Lenora
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    <3
    Dana in Arkansas
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Karen Happy Birthday! May it be a memorable one :)

Lois NS of Ma
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,837 Member
    Options
    Hey all. Reading posts, but just focusing on each day and the choices that come my way. Both with my health and with my daycare kids/activities. The weather has been kind of wishy-washy lately, so I have been coming up with "plan b" for most outdoor time.
    Happy Birthday Karen- wonderful birth story! I always think of my childhood as being a wonderful one; but as an adult I can see the "non-wonderfulness" that, as a child, I just thought was normal. Like having parents that didn't encourage you to go to college (neither of my parents attended college), parents that didn't attend school functions/conferences, being on welfare, etc. Those aren't big offenses, just part of my "normal"; and I didn't notice the abnormalness of it until I was older.
    Pip-I personally was thinking a green to pick up the green leaves in the curtains; but you could also do a neutral beige or cream make some pillows with the crazy mix and match colors and patterns. If they give you an extra swatch of the curtain material, it'd be fun to make some buttons or ruffles for the geometric or patterned pillows out of it. Kind of like a Matilda Jane clothing style. https://www.matildajaneclothing.com/ Eclectic, but cool!
    Tere- Love your wedding story! I bet everyone was surprised and thrilled!
    NY Karen- Congrats on the call back. Yep, best thing you can do is breathe, and go on like nothing has happened. I am sure it will all work out the way it should. Sending you calm thoughts and warm wishes! :)

Saw this just this morning and it made me laugh! This guy has legs worth fighting for! Yummmm! Viral Video UK: Gangster crab! - YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QaAKi0NFkA

Hope that link pops up! Enjoy all! ttfn xoxoxo KJ
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Karen :flowerforyou:
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Becca Your apron curtain reminded me I use my grandparent's napkin rings as tie backs in our kitchen. It reminds me of them. They used cloth napkins and rather then throw them in the wash every use they would wrap their napkin ring around their napkin.

Grandfather's, grandmother's

Rock before and after. It did rain after I did it so some needles to get into the vacuumed.

:heart: Margaret
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    NYKaren – How do you audition for ‘conductor’ of an orchestra? Do you put music on at home and pretend you are the conductor? Hope everything works out for you and that you get it. Is this middle age or high school age kids? All during middle school my DOGD play the violin. She put it up during HS so that the younger girls would not get to it, moved it when she moved for college. How I wish she would take it up again. I love the sound of a violin as well as a fiddle. I know the violin has a rounded ‘strut’? And that the fiddler has one shaped like the side of a standard guitar. I really like fiddling music. I like all much other than hardcore ‘nasty words’ rapping.

Pip – Whose birthday? Yours? Kirby's? Or one of your babies? Happy Birthday to whoever it is.

KJ – Trey, my oldest son, really encourages his girls to make ‘good grades’ and to ‘go to college and finish it’. Especially has pushed Taylor (because he had to drop out – or chose to) when her Mama became pregnant with him. They got a divorce less than 3 years later. We ‘tried’ to tell him that he could come ‘home and live’, go to school at night (or work swing shifts); but, his attitude was ‘I’ve got to work, I have a baby to support’. Now, he regrets it. He was 40 in June and has been working since the paint store where he was the manager ‘closed’ due to the boss not paying taxes and skimming money off the top. Then, he got killed in a motorcycle accident when a woman pulled out of Wal-Mart in front of him. When Trey saw it on the news, he ‘knew’ it had to have been him, because it was an orange bike that had belonged to his son (who he gave his truck to once he and his wife had a baby). The son worked in the ‘new’ store in another town. Trey would not move and would not commute every day. The son called him one morning and said there was a padlock on the door and what should he do. Trey told him, ‘go home’ and he did not even bother going in … this guy had gone in with 3 other men; and, all 3 of them had pulled out because of how he mishandled the business … I think they even walked away with nothing they had put into it. Trey had left another paint store as manager because of a ‘raise’; but, that went away with the store; and, nobody else would invest in it. None of us had the money or any way to get it. It had started making money and Trey had told him that he needed it to start being able to ‘hold its own’ before opening the other store.

The crab video was funny. I almost thought that it was going to show him holding the knife in the other hand and use his big claw to try to play it like a fiddle. LOL!

Margaret – Mimi ALWAYS used an apron. Nannie-L most always used an apron. Now, all I do is put on a torn T-shirt and don’t worry about carrying things (like eggs) or wiping my hands on it. My DDnL#1’s mother always makes me about 4 dishcloths that have a crotched end to them with a button and I can put one on the oven door and one on the refrigerator door. They are really handy and you can never have too many.

I might consider doing some rocks; but, then Louis would have to pick the up and throw them back before he could mow. The sidewalks in the town I grew up in had sidewalks that had small pebbles or shells in them. I can also remember when several streets in Macon were made of brick pavers. Now, they have built or remodeled a lot of the ‘old portion of town’ and put brick pavers at the crosswalks.

Lenora
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening my dear Friends,

Lanette, isn’t it great all the wonderful changes we’ve been able to make since getting on MFP? Keep up the great work! Your garden is beautiful and soooo clean!

Tere, so glad you had a good time shopping with DGD.

Ginger, I know something like a warm chocolate chip cookie is hard to resist. I agree that they should not be allowed in the house. I mean we do have our limits!!!

Barbie, the front yard looks wonderful. I know that was a lot of work but it certainly paid off. Great job.

Leigh, wonderful job on losing 66 pounds. That is fantastic!!!! Yes you will be looking at Onderland before you know it. Keep up the great work!!! lets-party-smiley-emoticon.gif

NYKaren, congrats on the call back for your audition. Sending good thoughts your way.

KarenVA, Happy, Happy Birthday. I hope it has been a special day for you. party-blower-smiley-emoticon.gif It’s so nice to hear that you had a happy childhood. I did too and never really gave it a thought. We didn’t have much money but neither did anyone I knew.

Katla, if my cocktails would cause me acid reflux maybe I’d stop having them and then could/would lose some weight. They don’t and right now I just don’t want to cut that out of my life. I guess we chose our poison.
    Tere, it’s not that I have never had a shot in my life but I think people do shots just to get drunk! I personally enjoy a cocktail but certainly don’t like to get drunk. I see young people doing multiple shots and just wonder what they think is going to happen. I’m just not a martini fan as it is straight alcohol, but to each his own. I’m with you on the glasses. 

Kay, what a great job your DD did about the flower girls and ring bearers. She must have been raised right.

Okay, I have to stop for a short rant. DH now has 3 tool boxes in varying sizes. I have one that I stocked with the everyday needed tools for most around the home projects. That is because I’m the one that does most of them. If it comes to cars or lawn mowers, that is DH’s department. The problem is, he wants to save every piece of wire, leather, screw, etc that he finds and has some of each in each toolbox along with assorted tools. When he needs a tool, he never knows where to look. I was going to put a molly bolt in the hall bathroom because the towel bar had come loose. I went to get my toolbox and it was so heavy that I could barely pick it up. Why??? Because DH has filled it with things. Grrrr I did take out a few of the larger tools and duplicates and took them to him to put in one of his tool boxes. He is not Mr Handyman but bless his heart, he tries. I know that he is a wonderful husband and this is a small thing in the big scheme of things, but I do feel better now. Thanks for listening, my friends.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

It’s been a good day. DH went shopping this morning and when he got home I washed all the fresh veggies so it will be easier to use some for dinner tonight. With my DD here the fridge is staying very full as she has some of her own favorites that she buys and eats. She doesn’t eat much red meat or poultry so it’s mostly fruit, veggies, and fish.

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    ⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,820 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    still hacking cough.. nyquil night.. will check in ,in the am
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options

Hi Gals,

Karen NY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, and what a nice note about the day and your childhood… Who better to conduct a youth orchestra than someone who had a great childhood, and can use that example to help make these kid’s youth positive.

Tere – I love the idea of a surprise wedding…. As so many headaches seem to appear in the planning and I have friends that just had a double party -- 25 years of marriage and the last payment on the loan for the wedding… It was an amazing wedding, but really!?!

Had an errand to run and needed a bit of milk, so stopped at the market, and as is my normal way, I got what I needed and stopped by all the spots they do discounted products… My store has a place for meat/fowl/fish, dairy that is going to hit the sell by date soon and it has 30% off if the date is 3 days out, 50% if it is tomorrow and then a spot for shelf stable things and that is always 50% so today I found red cocktail napkins (left from 4th of July) I’ll use them for Christmas, a bit bag of 128 mini snickers for just $5 ( it’s tucked away that is what I’ll give out for Halloween, and then the crowning item 2 racks of pork ribs for $2.50 a pound…I put them right in the freezer – I have a great recipe, marinaded, smoked, and then BBQ hot to crisp the edges, whose coming for dinner?

I was pretty pleased, often there is nothing I am interested in, but when I can get stuff I need I’m a happy shopper!!!

More embroidery to do! Its been busy

Oh and when I mentioned the loan someone said something about bartering the repayment, and that was a great idea, and one that has had me thinking… thanks for helping me think outside the box.

Smiles

Kim from N. California
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,893 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies: Good day today. I got my gazebo all cleaned up, the furniture cleaned off and ready for book club on Thursday. Wouldn't you know it? It is supposed to rain that day, the only day this month. I guess I will spend time tomorrow cleaning inside just in case. Did yoga today and have been doing well on eating.

Karen in VA - Happy birthday!!!

Sharon - Hope fires are soon under control.

NY Karen - Good luck on the audition, I am sure you will do well.

Lanette - We went on the bus with a group from the YM to see the warriors. I loved not having to find parking or driving in traffic. The warriors were awesome. Be sure to see the IMAX movie first.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA