WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    "lhscapil wrote: »
    ON another note, I was just thinking about all the good things that have happened for me healthwise since I joined MFP last December.

1.) Quit drinking alcohol. I loved beer and decided to give it up - didn't like the calories or the constant gastritis it caused. I too was on Nexium and Prilosec for a while. Don't need it anymore! Woo hoo! Wouldn't mind having a nice Bloody Mary if the occasion arises, but no more beer. Haven't drank wine in years but sometimes cook with it- not sure I could drink it again. Sometimes DH has a glass of "dago red" wine and it doesn't even smell good.

2.) Found a love for strength training. I had no idea what it was all about. Thanks again Barbie for the book that opened my eyes: Strong Women Stay Young. I've been at it for 2 months now, hope I can continue it for a long time.

3.) Off blood pressure meds! The only thing I take now is a mild antihistamine every night with my vitamins and hopefully once more of the cat hair gets swept up, I'll be able to stop taking that stuff when hay fever season is over.

4.) Easily getting from 8,000 to 10,000 steps every day. Taking that puppy out for "walks" many times a day is helping. I'll take it.

Excellent! :)

I was put onto Nexium a few years ago by a well-meaning Dr who was right out of med school and didn't think to check interactions with other conditions. It was completely the wrong thing for me. Since I had been on it for over a year by the time I realised what was going on, I had to wean off of it. It's a horrible drug.

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    Lenora - I love the SNAFU definition. Pretty accurate when it comes to some city & county government tasks! I did get booked on the Chinese Warrior tour in Seattle - it's there until Sept 4th. I think the entrance fee is normally $35 or so - $89 pays for it and the transportation, which isn't bad. I'd pay more just to not have to drive up there. ;) My garden used to be a REAL WEEDY MESS. DH got tired of it (of course I was working, so no time to really tend to it) and brought in those chips-laid over landscape cloth a couple years ago. So now I have little teensy plots to plant things, which is fine.

DH is Mr. Neat and Tidy and he's out there right now stacking his firewood like a mason laying bricks.

Tere - I love your mom's strategy regarding birthday gifts. I've been trying to think of a way of stopping obligatory birthday and Christmas cards and $$ gifts to a few nieces and nephews who "forget" to even send us an email. This is a good solution. Glad your shopping trip with DH was a success!! She sounds like a lot of fun.

I found a good-looking meatloaf (or meatballs that I can stuff with cheese) recipe for the IP and will make it tomorrow for supper. I bought fresh mozzarella I'll stick in the center and plop them into muffin tins.

I have my bedtime snack planned.... a bit of cantaloupe, 1/2 of a low-carb muffin, and a little piece of cheese. We'll see how things look in the blood sugar department tomorrow morning. I know the last time I cut out added sugar, it was back to 100 or under within a few days.

Have a great evening, ladies!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Lanette, your list of accomplishments through MFP is so inspiring. You have a right to be proud of yourself

NYKAren, I must have missed what your audition is for. I love anything musical.

Becca, love, love, love the apron curtain. The pocket needs something special in it.

Well today hasn't been what I wanted at all. First of all the landscaping company called last week and moved the start to tomorrow. But I still thought that Michelle would be here today. She called this morning and said she had a stomach bug. I remember Saturday her asking me if I had an antacid for her to take along with her when she went to this haunted Sanitorium in Louisville, Ky. So I don't know of it is a 24 hour thug or not. So we don't even have a paint picked out. And I do t know if Charlie will go on with having cRpet installed not. He says I didn't tell him the complete price of the landscaping and has his panties in an uproar over it. We will have to pay more because we can not move the furniture and that will be an added cost. But we have done some things on our own. I got up and immediately got to cleaning my closet. I didn't clean the shelf but I bagged up some of my size medium and some of my 'what was I thinking about' clothes and took hem to Goodwill. We have swept the kitchen floor twice which means we had to move all the chairs out. We need to use the Swiffer Wet next and then will use a steam cleaner. I am going to tackle the junk drawer in the kitchen. I think Charlie and I can do the fixing of the outlets on our own but he wants Michelle here. It's always fun to sweep with the kitten. Also as I was staking my clothes on my bed, he had to get in, under, over and through the pile. I just hope Michelle is OK to at least help me pick out a paint and help us move the rest of the furniture out in the room. I do think we can paint, will just take longer. When we were taping today, I did around the bathroom door, closet door and some floor level and Charlie did one very small segment of floor level. Luckily the rest is floor level. Oh, the sanding. I won't let him do it because he will just settle to what he thinks iOS adequate. He says the paint will cover everything. Uh, no.

Joyce, Indiana
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening my dear Friends,

Chris, I feel as bad for DH and/or DD if they forget my birthday as they do. So many years ago I started telling, reminding and over reminding them as to when my BD is approaching. At this point I don’t care if I get a gift or even a card but I do declare it “Queen’s Day” and expect (demand) that I be treated like Royalty. LOL It’s somewhat of a joke but it works in our family. Glad you had a grand time at the Cape.

Katla, sorry you had a problem with acid reflux. I rarely have it any more and sure don’t miss it. I do hope it was a one-time thing. ((((Hugs))))

M, that is so scary about your DH escaping the fires. I hope all your family stays safe.

NYKaren, glad you had a good time shopping with your DD. Mine is a much better bargain shopper than I am. I do well in my regular stores but not in resale shops and stores I don’t normally frequent. I do believe it’s a gift.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I read all the posts this afternoon and the plan was to read what was written from then to now, when I got home from my meeting. The problem is, I’m exhausted and my back can’t/won’t sit in a chair any longer. So I’ll say good night for now and start again in the morning.

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Did 10 min of Crunch Bikini Body DVD, held my plank for 2 min 51 sec, extremepump class. The plan for tomorrow is to do some HIIT. I'll have Rummikub here so I'm thinking that I should burn off extra calories.

Marclyn - that's really crazy that you need to see your doc. All those expenses don't forget his time to see you when really you don't need to be seen.

Chris - awesome pics and what a blue sky!

We got this placq for our wedding with our names and the date on it. I really liked it so I'm going to get one for Denise. Now, I admit I did tell her that I couldn't find anyone IN NORTH CAROLINA to make it. But I did find someone in Florida. Opps...bad me...I forgot to mention that part <insert wicked smile>. I'm hoping to surprise her at her shower with it. The lady who is making it just told me that she's having a hard time finding a stencil (the kind you stick on) of a bride and groom, so she asked me if this border would be OK. Hey, it has to be OK. Actually, it's really not my taste, looks too rustic. But that's keeping with Denise's theme so it'll all work out.

katla - get better fast

Regarding vinegar - if you put vinegar on a grass stain, it comes out. Now if the grass stain is really imbedded, you might have to do it twice.

tere - that's great that your gd bought things at the consignment shop!

Lenora - David's Bridal went belly up? Or was it just one store? That's where I got my gown from and I haven't had any problem. Yes, that's the store where she got her gown.

Marcelyn - thanks so much for putting my mind at ease telling me it wasn't David's Bridal that went out of business. There was a bridal store here in Charlotte that went out of business. One day gals who went to pick up their dress found the doors locked. Heartbreaking

NYKaren - keeping fingers crossed for you

Michele in NC
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    July Accountability
    Progress - Sunday, July 16th

✔️1. Carbs 50-75g (limit 25g/meal)
    (B0, L0, D8, AS22, BBS20 =50g)
    ✔️2. Fiber 30g (30g)
    ✔3. Track/complete entry daily
    4. Vegetables - big salad daily
    5. Exercise - 30 Fitbit minutes

I let Friday's pizza night derail me. I get unsauced wings and have them with salad and Ranch. Hubby always buys the big chocolate chip cookie... and it came warm and melts... and I couldn't resist. I've banned the cookie from our house.

Sleep REALLY screwed up for 3 or 4 days.
    So... back on track.

Ever Onward.
    -- Ginger in Texas
  • Machka9
    Options
    Regarding birthdays ... most of my family and friends just say "Happy Birthday" to each other when Facebook reminds us. That's good enough for me! :)

That said, my mother will send cards to my brother and me, and I'll send cards to my parents and grandmother, but that's it. No gift/money exchange or anything like that.

Maybe it helps that we're all so scattered around the world ... it costs a fortune to mail stuff and we're all using different currencies. :grin:

Even my husband and I don't get each other gifts for birthdays, Christmas or anything. If we want or need something we get it when we want or need it. However, we usually have at least one special trip each year. This year, it was our month in Canada. We both listed off things we wanted to see and do on that trip ... and we did them. That was our Christmas, birthday, and anniversary gift to each other. :)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    I've broken down and purchased black cohosh ... but I haven't taken any yet. Still a little concerned about the side effects. However,it is my second to last resort for all these hot flashes and night sweats.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Maskca, my daughter takes flaxseed for her hot flashes with great results.

Barbie, your house and yard look great. They look like you, minimalist but lovely and very pleasant to the eye.

I am hoping our work will start tomorrow. He has said weather permitting but out heat ibexes are around 105 this week. When we had our family room redone several years ago, the guy left with no word but left all his equipment here. I left messages to his answering machine that I would leave them all on the porch for him to pick up, no questions asked. Those were in the days our shrubs were so huge anything could be hidden behind them he never did so we kept them all. One thing he left was a gravy duty fan he use to try to dry the drywall mud. I am going to put it in the garage tomorrow so the guys can have a retreat. I'll also make sure they have plenty of water but our last outdoor job brought his own. We will have to sit out on the porch every evening and water whatever he does. Michelle is feeling ok enough to come over. We will
    I know out the paint first then I have a doctors appointment and her and her Dad can get started while I am gone. It's one of those appoinyptments you have to have when you sign a pain contract. I'll have to pee in a bottle. But there are other issues I need to talk to her about. I did clean out my junk drawer and the plastic 3 drawer cabinet I keep in the linen closet. The top drawer is a makeshift medical kit. I guess I could put a blood pressure cuff and my stethoscope in it. Half the kitchen is swelter real good. And my back is killing me. I am having Michelle bring over my TENS unit. Oh, I got my colonoscopy scheduled for Septemner. Now I guess I should use this time when I am in a 'do hints line you should' time to schedule my mammogram

Joyce, Indiana
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    LANETTE - hope you get to go see Terracotta Warriors I think I've said before that DH and I saw them in Berlin and London they are really wonderful. Congrats on your achievements on MFP I've also come off BP meds and I exercise every day. Hooray for MFP

Loving all pics of gardens and houses

Kate UK <3
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Machka9 - It's at times like these that we are reminded of what is truly important.

My ankle is really acting up, I hope it settles down again.

Dr. wants to see me so going at 10:45, I really don't like the word imperative. I'm hoping that it is just something to do with my sugar levels. They should be getting better as I have more activity.

I think DS and DDIL are missing their boys. They are texting and calling, half the time the boys are not available.

My DS and DBIL did not like Hawaii all that much. I would like to try it out.

DH is taking the boys to Kelowna to meet their Dad. He will probably leave here on the 23rd. Ryan has a tattoo convention so about 5-6 hrs shorter for us. I hope that some of the highways are opened.

I need to get back in the swing of things.

Here's a game that the 5,6 and 7 year old came up with while travelling in our car.
    You answer a question like "What colour is glass when it's dead?"
    Answer: "It's dead glass colour. What did you think?" Then everyone laughs like crazy and you get 5 points.
    Then you say gopher guts and laugh some more. It's a great game.

In the other car, the 14 yr. old and 16 yr. old are figuring out the speed of breaking the sound barrier and how long it would take to travel home if you could travel that fast.

The boys stayed at their cousins' tonight. I hope DD can get some sleep. She did volunteer though.

Penticton is filled with people evacuated from Williams Lake. My friend is safe in Prince George for now and someone was kind enough to lend her, the boys and their pets a holiday trailer to stay in. Looking like they could be displaced for another 2 weeks. B.C. is burning and we have friends and family all over the province. Praying is the only thing I can do.

-Sharon in Lethbridge (choking on the smoke)
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    B)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    Slept well, I wake early for a couple hours and then am able to go back to sleep... dropping my son off at work, go feed my DFIL and then working 9-6..off to walk the boys(Homer and Chester) and then go pick up Dan...
    will check in tonight..
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Lanette love the garden. I saw some of the soldiers as part of an exhibit At the Minneapolis Institute or Arts. The emperor Chin was responsible for creating his funeral city. The warriors were part of this. China is named after him.

Barbie love the look. We have lots of trees where we live so once a year I vacuum out the rock. I break it down into 8 sections so I can take it slowly. I just started the process yesterday. I use a Toro vacuum/blower not a house vacuum. Last year I was better at blowing out the rock consistently so the vacuuming was minimal. I was not so good this year so it needs a major vacuum.

Sharon prayers that they get fires under control soon. Scary.

:heart: Margaret
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning!