Calories in calories out is it that simple?

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    According to the AMA and other authoritative bodies within the United States, a "balanced diet" is not really all that subjective, and looks something like this:

mg69rd99y1ck.jpg

However, I think you will find many people among the fad diet crowd who would not find this to be healthy at all. Such a diet would fill them with paranoia. Bread, cheese, rice, pasta, butter (on my!) or nearly any other individual food on the above graphic representing a balanced diet has to the potential to cause several dieting cults or "clean" eating psychos to lose their cookies. Why? Because most of these individual sects operate largely outside the realm of medical science and nutrition and rely instead on semantics and pop culture to forward their ideas.

Regardless of this, I know one universal way to improve health and decrease risk for a wide assortment of health related conditions and diseases, and that is to decrease your BMI. In this context your diet of choice is largely irrelevant. Be it clean, balanced or otherwise. the biological mechanism to achieve weight loss is identical.

If you are diabetic, that's a terrible diet. I wonder if the AMA makes a differentiation. PS - your average doctor knows nothing about diet and nutrition.

Why should the average person worry about being diabetic?

Diabetes also doesn't mean you have to forgo carbs.

Paging @earlnabby .

Because the way things are going, in 20 years the average person will be diabetic.

Yes, diabetes means you should forgo grains, sugars and starches as much as possible, unless you want to slowly deteriorate over the course of your life because of the diabetes. It's a fact.

Do you know what causes diabetes? I don't think you do.

Yes I do. And I did not say grains, starches and sugar cause T2 diabetes. You should avoid grains, sugars and starches if you are pre-T2 or T2. Unless you want to inject large amounts of insulin for the rest of your life, likely gain weight, and likely be a lot less healthy than people who do not have T2.

Incorrect. You should manage them. You don't need to avoid them. Some T2's need to avoid certain grains and not others.

What T2's should do is reach a normal weight and become active.

Again, paging @earlnabby

I have read case after case on-line of people stopping or reversing T2 diabetes not by avoiding carbs (green veggies have carbs and you can eat all the green veggies you want), but avoiding, as best as you can, grains, starches and sugars. Why? Because they have a high glycemic index.

That's it. Not making this up. If you don't want to believe me, that's fine.

The two diabetics posting in this thread don't count then? Alrighty then.

Their experiences aren't unique because they are being treated by programs who treat other diabetic patients who share similar success.

Your method is like putting a cast on a simple cut, sure, it works to stop the bleeding, but it's not necessary when a simple bandage will do the same thing.

The thing is that not everyone who needs to put diabetes into remission wants to forgo grains and sugar, and the good news is that they don't have to.

My partner was diagnosed with T2. We eat pretty well, but we do enjoy our breads and grains and some sugar.
    He was just told he's on his way to being taken off his meds. How? Daily exercise, moderate weight loss, and being more careful about - but not eliminating - some of his bread intake.