Is this rude?

Options
RedSierra
RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
edited July 2017 in Motivation and Support
Just blowing off steam here.

I was walking my dog yesterday and met a neighbor walking her dog, too. I say hello to this woman and her husband from time to time, but don't socialize with them.

We chatted for a minute and then she asked me, "You've lost a lot of weight. I hope you didn't lose it for health reasons."

She was asking if I lost weight because I was ill (a serious disease, etc.)

I lost 40 pounds using MFP last year and have maintained for about 10 months. I'm 5'4" and weigh 139 pounds, which is what I want to weigh. I told her I lost the weight because I was obese and didn't want all the problems that go with it.

Her comment made me feel really bad. What is with people anyway? I would never ask somebody that.

Replies

• STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I think it was her nosy way of wanting to know if you were sick.
  • RedSierra
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I just need to blow it off. STLBADGIRL, I think you probably nailed it.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I had two friends in two days who I complemented for losing weight. The following week one told me she was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, and the other was diagnosed with cervical cancer and was dead in a month. Neither knew they were sick when I complemented them. So, count me as guilty of congratulating someone for weight loss and then saying casually "intentional right?". Although after reading your post I think I'll stop saying that.
  • RedSierra
    Options
    Cat3141, that must have been a rough experience. I understand what you mean about not wanting to share all the details.

I had a great time losing weight last year and getting more physically fit and it made me feel bad that somebody would look at it as something dire. I probably need to lighten up.
  • despondentdelerium
    despondentdelerium Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm awkward, I have put my foot in my mouth so many times.
    I'm sure she was just awkwardly making sure you were ok. Drastic changes can indicate medical issues, maybe she had someone close to her have that happen.. and she's extra sensitive to it.
    I think it's cool she cared enough to notice, to care... even if she didn't phrase it right. (yikes!)

Though, good for you!! It's a lot of hard work and dedication!
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Sounds well-intentioned. I'd say Thanks so much for your concern but I'm fine :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    A few people thought I was "dying," too. Some people can't handle change so they tend to interpret it as a bad thing sometimes. I wouldn't take it personally. She probably means well. Her opinions, thoughts and feelings are her problem, not yours. B)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I don't think she meant to be rude. I'm guilty of congratulating someone inappropriately - a friend I had not seen in a couple of years - her response was "Well, I find I don't bother cooking as much since my husband died." Sometimes awkwardness happens - unless someone was intentionally trying to be hurtful, try to think the best of them.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Don't take it personally. You never know what people have experienced previously. Maybe she complimented someone in the past on their weight loss only to be told the reason was due to serious illness. It happens. Happened to a friend of mine.

Just keep focusing on your health and don't read too much into what others have to say about it.

I was taking a shuttle to Mayo Clinic last week. The shuttle passengers are mostly patients, so we tend to be pretty open. A woman told me she wished she was as skinny as me. I told her i got sick, and she apologized and said sge didn't want to lose weight that way lol. It was a well intentioned comment, and i was not offended. i am guessing that your neighbor had a similar experience.

• Neurotic22
    Neurotic22 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree with majority - she seemed to be trying to be kind, just trying not to assume.

I mean not only does it show she might be concerned, but also imagine you were perfectly happy then got sick...only to have everyone compliment you! Wouldn't be nice at all!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    I'll just keep saying this...people have no filter. I don't think it's ever appropriate to comment on someone's weight. This is why. Nunyabidness. It goes just as badly when someone asks a lady if she's pregnant. Just don't. :blush:

If it's a good friend, they are already up-to-date on your diet. If it's close family, same thing. Anyone else is over-stepping polite conversation in my opinion.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My husband often remarks that he's amused/bemused by the fact that the most compliments he got on his appearance was when he lost a lot of weight due to an undiagnosed illness. She may have had an experience with that and wanted to compliment you but not put her foot in it. It was clumsily done, and I agree that the safest way is to not comment at all unless the other person brings it up (kind of like not commenting on a pregnancy unless you see the baby coming out). But I wouldn't be offended.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I took her comment as being 'sweet', she was hoping you are in good health.

Her views may be biased by her experience, if she's known several people who lost weight because of specific health issues.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Some people feel hurt if their weight loss is NOT noticed, while others get upset anytime weight is mentioned, even if it's a compliment. So unfortunately, there is no single "correct" way to approach a situation in which someone has lost a noticeable amount of weight. I tell myself- when in doubt, take it as a compliment. If it was meant to be a rude/mean comment, the person probably wouldn't be saying it to my face.

Personally I don't comment unless it's someone I know, like a friend, and usually in those cases I know whether or not the person would want a compliment. If I'm not sure I might just say something like "looking good, girl!" since that could refer to anything- weight, an outfit, a good hair or makeup day, etc.
  • Dharma36
    Dharma36 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have gotten the opposite. I am on chemo and just gained weight with emotional eating and steroids. People have said, "I thought you were supposed to LOSE weight with cancer." And then laugh. As humans, we are awkward and weird. People do mean well usually but just mess the whole thing up. Keep up the good, healthy work. The lady probably went inside and banged her head against a wall for putting her foot in her mouth.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think it probably was not rude.
    So many of us need to lose weight, or do lose weight, these days that she probably did not think it was a sensitive subject.