Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I just don't get it

124»

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited July 2017
    @lamnotasenior you have miss quoted me. I would never make a statement like that.

It was @kokonani that made the original statement that you reacted to.

This was my reply to the quote you have miss-attributed to me.

'Good for you. You don't have to do it. :)

For me, 5'1 100-105lbs 63yo, 1200 is MFP maintenance when sedentary, not even to lose.
    That isn't what I eat but the number was quite accurate when I started maintenance 7 years ago.

1200 is headlined so much in mags etc that a lot of women come here and override the MFP recommendations and do 1200 to lose fast. All those lose 10 lbs and lose 5in off your waist in a week headlines are selling a myth too many women buy into.

Cheers, h.

Cheers, h.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 17,377 Member
    Another problem may be trusting MFP's food database. It's not their fault sometimes, just inexperience with the app and blind trust.

2zfjqwqgx20d.jpg

Exactly. How big is that wrap (or serving, piece, slice, etc) in the database, anyway? I weigh the serving of shawarma (or other exotic food) and can't find any foods that have weight units.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Another problem may be trusting MFP's food database. It's not their fault sometimes, just inexperience with the app and blind trust.

2zfjqwqgx20d.jpg

Exactly. How big is that wrap (or serving, piece, slice, etc) in the database, anyway? I weigh the serving of shawarma (or other exotic food) and can't find any foods that have weight units.

For what it's worth and from my own curiosity driven shawarma deconstructing adventures, chicken shawarma has roughly similar calories per gram to pizza. 2.2 to 2.9 calories per gram depending on the condiments, bread included. I don't know about beef since I don't eat it. The one on the left appears to be a lettuce wrapped one, which a new user may not know (even an experienced user may not pay attention sometimes).
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    lkpducky wrote: »

2zfjqwqgx20d.jpg

What I often do it search for the food and put g at the end eg "chicken schwarma g" which often brings up a different set of entries, which have gram masses for them. (Note, haven't actually tried it with schwarma though!)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member
    dcristo213 wrote: »
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

This New York Times article on the Biggest Loser Show gives you a good perspective on how severely limiting your calories does not work.

Wow! Of course the sample size was small but they found after the weight loss the contestants were burning significantly fewer calories in their resting metabolism for what would be expected for their size and weight. One person over 800 fewer!! Also multiple hormones leading to increased hunger and inability to feel full while in the lower weight range. So interesting. Of course it is about what goes in your mouth but this research highlights what an incredibly uphill battle it can be against Biology not "just will power" once the weight has been lost.

Compassion means to not want suffering. Have compassion for yourself. Have compassion for others.
    dcristo213 wrote: »
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

This New York Times article on the Biggest Loser Show gives you a good perspective on how severely limiting your calories does not work.

Wow! Of course the sample size was small but they found after the weight loss the contestants were burning significantly fewer calories in their resting metabolism for what would be expected for their size and weight. One person over 800 fewer!! Also multiple hormones leading to increased hunger and inability to feel full while in the lower weight range. So interesting. Of course it is about what goes in your mouth but this research highlights what an incredibly uphill battle it can be against Biology not "just will power" once the weight has been lost.

Compassion means to not want suffering. Have compassion for yourself. Have compassion for others.

Meh.

Keep in mind that that small sample consisted entirely of people who had done something really, very, extremely extreme. Besides that, this study drew quite a bit of technical critique.

So, yeah, adaptive thermogenesis is a real thing, but research suggests there are some pretty doable ways to avoid major problems.

Consider this, a really nice analysis by a fellow MFP-er of a different research study with a small sample size (and pay particular attention to the CR+EX arm):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/reduced-metabolism-tdee-beyond-expected-from-weight-loss-616251

P.S. The "compassion" part of your post? Endorsed! :)