Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Exactly that, estherdragon.
  • raquele3394
    raquele3394 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    In 1996 When I was 25 years I experienced that! I was gaining weight but did see in the mirror how fat I was. The only way that I could tell that I was gaining weight was the scale.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think a lot of us can relate to this a little bit. I know I can.

But it's just denial and not a mental disorder for the majority. I'm just glad I've always reigned it in before getting too out of control.

• blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    normally when I pass a mirror, I take a moment to flex.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    blakejohn wrote: »
    normally when I pass a mirror, I take a moment to flex.

You flex your fat?

Flatorexia makes me think of flatulence but that's another topic clearly. Seems a little ridiculous really. And an attempt to make a name for acceptance. Although I never saw myself as fat as I was, oddly I don't see myself as the shape I currently am.
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Wow! I had no idea that posting something from the Daily Mail would make people not click on it! Pardon my ignorance, I'm originally South American so I don't even know what kind of reputation that site has.

I ran across the term in this article in a Spanish-speaking newspaper: http://tn.com.ar/salud/lo-ultimo/megarexia-el-mal-de-ser-feliz-con-sobrepeso-afecta-8-de-cada-10-obesos_805490
    But I figured not many would be able to read it. So I just google searched the term and copy pasted the first English-language article I found on the topic.

I guess now I know better eh?
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    @estherdragonbat I have had the exact same moment - "yeah I could probably lose a bit of weight" - and then there was THAT photo that just hit me and it really, really hit home.

Thank you for sharing, I am still not brave enough to share mine!!!
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    As others have said - Its the Daily Mail enough said. It, along with that other joke paper "The Sun" wouldn't know a fact if it came up and slapped them across the face. Check somewhere else and see if this is the case - you'll not get anyting useful from The Daily Mail.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't the opposite of anorexia involve deliberately trying to gain weight because you think you're too skinny? Maybe I'm splitting hairs..
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I was very fat. I didn't mind it, but there was no doubt in my mind that I was obese, it just didn't bother me enough to make changes until it did. I don't think these "symptoms" apply to the obese. Obese people know that they are obese. Someone who is overweight with visible extra fat may think they are "big boned" just because they are not morbidly obese. Yes, there are people like that, but it does not cause distress or is a result of some deep seeded mental/emotional issues. Not everyone who is in denial about something has mental illness, otherwise we would have "cellphoneorexia" for those who deny spending too much time on their cellphones, "foodorexia" for those who deny eating a lot, "relationshiporexia" for those who are in denial that their relationship is falling apart...etc. What a bunch of hogwash.

If they believe "being in denial" is too mainstream of a term, they could use "podsnappery".

P.S:

How do you know that term is made up?

The suffix -orexia has to do with appetite and food intake. Being in denial about being fat has nothing to do with food intake.
  • Marjayhan
    Marjayhan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    "P.S:

How do you know that term is made up?

The suffix -orexia has to do with appetite and food intake. Being in denial about being fat has nothing to do with food intake"

Because there is already words to describe what that person is. Obese and denial, suffering from obesity and conning herself into thinking all is ok,not fatorexia. Caused mostly by addiction to food not focusing on themselves or their health for whatever issues they have in their lives because the food makes them feel good. It's hard to abstain from an addiction to food because you still need to eat in order to live. It looks like the person is looking for an excuse to be pitied in the way she made herself be. And looking to not be judged for overeating. Which leads me to the next word got to do with her condition. Denial. Denial and not thinking you are that big, and seeing a skinny person in the mirror is not fatorexia. I know people in this situation as well. An obese woman i know said, oh! you must be only a size 8! (uk) and i was like ehhh...no actually i'm a size 12. And she said oh i would never have thought that you don't look it! And as i looked at her just generally i noticed this obese woman wasn't wearing big baggy clothes to hide what she was, she was wearing tight real fitted clothes where you could see everything squished and hanging out here and there (and she's absolutely entitled to) and i thought to myself, this is a person herself in denial squashing herself into smaller ill fitting clothes, because she was in denial as to her real situation. If she wore clothes that fit her size she would definitely have to go up 3-4 sizes more.

As other people have stated it sounds like after she lost the weight she wanted to sell a story.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think people can wrongly perceive the size of their body but that is not reverse anorexia.
    I think how we see ourselves can be complicated and inaccurate at any size.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Loug1983 wrote: »
    That was a painful read, woman avoids mirrors and pretends she doesn't know she is fat, woman is forced to face reality and then compares her denial to people with a mental health issue.

I'm sure there are many of us who have not noticed just how much weight we have allowed ourselves to put on. I know even now the person in the mirror doesn't look too fat to me, but the camera never lies so I know full well I still have work to do!

This. Seeing myself in the mirror, I always thought I looked 'okay'. Sure, I could lose a few pounds, but it wasn't so obvious.

And then there was this:

5du3krkqfd2n.png

Yeah, truth hurts. That doesn't make not noticing it a mental health issue. (I guess a case can be made for not being depressed about my previous appearance because I didn't notice how heavy I was, but it sort of got obvious when I went clothes shopping. And I sure as heck didn't walk into a place like Victoria's Secret or Lulu Lemon and wonder why nothing fit.)

As a frequent con goer, I want to know who is cut out!

Eldon "Foggy Nelson" Henson from Daredevil. (And Mighty Ducks, Hunger Games: Mockingjay, and few other things.)

giphy.gif
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    That's him! <3
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Loug1983 wrote: »
    That was a painful read, woman avoids mirrors and pretends she doesn't know she is fat, woman is forced to face reality and then compares her denial to people with a mental health issue.

I'm sure there are many of us who have not noticed just how much weight we have allowed ourselves to put on. I know even now the person in the mirror doesn't look too fat to me, but the camera never lies so I know full well I still have work to do!

This. Seeing myself in the mirror, I always thought I looked 'okay'. Sure, I could lose a few pounds, but it wasn't so obvious.

And then there was this:

5du3krkqfd2n.png

Yeah, truth hurts. That doesn't make not noticing it a mental health issue. (I guess a case can be made for not being depressed about my previous appearance because I didn't notice how heavy I was, but it sort of got obvious when I went clothes shopping. And I sure as heck didn't walk into a place like Victoria's Secret or Lulu Lemon and wonder why nothing fit.)

This reminds me of when I was at a con and got my picture taken with Eliza Dushku. I was feeling like I was looking awesome that day. And then I got the picture back and she looked like a gorgeous pixie and I looked like a sweaty beached land whale. (I wasn't even warm, the light was just hitting me the wrong way!) Now I have a pic with one of my favorite actors that I NEVER look at. It's shoved down in the dark and never sees the light of day because looking at it makes me feel like absolute *kitten*.

I always look so much fatter in pics than I feel looking in the mirror.