What the hell are carbs?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    annabel92 wrote: »
    I would imagine that your nutritionist is referring to heavy/refined/processed carbs that don't have much nutrition, such as bread or pasta.

Carbs in fruits and vegetables are fine as they're natural - these are 'fiber' carbs and needed.

Just like sugar in a banana is natural when compared to sugar in sweets, natural carbs are full of nutrition (such as fibre) and are a much better choice when compared to processed carbs.

this is just wrong...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Wow, some of these points scrutinising everything I say for no reason really...

I'm not saying to cut out bread and pasta - I eat both - I'm answering the first question asking what the nutritionist meant by carbs. It's obvious she didn't mean vegetables.

Eating bread isn't the same as eating vegetables; cooking salmon doesn't make it artificial. Absolutely ridiculous points you're trying to make.

BREAD WOULD NOT EXIST UNLESS SOMEONE COMBINED THE INGREDIENTS, KNEADED IT, LET IT RISE, AND BAKED IT; yes, it's made from natural ingredients, that doesn't make it a raw food, which I'm guessing is what the nutritionist is referring to - you're not eating wheat raw, are you?!

I'm not saying to cut out bread and pasta, I'm saying that a low carb diet refers to this (again, like atkins and keto diets).

It's not rocket science.

Chili wouldn't exist unless someone chopped the ingredients, mixed them, and applied heat. Salmon, as a food, wouldn't exist unless someone went to the water, got a fish out, killed it, cut it into pieces, applied seasoning, and cooked it. So . . . what's the point?

What does any of this have to do with whether or not we should eat bread?

I have not once said we shouldn't eat bread, I have said that a LOW CARB DIET cuts out high calorie carbs such as pasta and bread. That's all!!!!!!
    So if I restrict myself to 50g of carbs a day and they all come from pasta & bread that's not a low carb diet?

#doingitwrong
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Dazzler21 wrote: »
    Spot on Sijomial it also creates a change in the bodies metabolism.
    Low carb diets make the body utilise fats as the main energy source. Hence low carb calorie restricted diets result in faster fat loss. HOWEVER Once you re-introduce carbs, you'll find you likely gain weight back on quicker as carbs are easier to metabolise than fats and the extra cheese you've been cramming becomes your new fat storage... Bad times...

Good for a quick burn, but not an ideal resolution long term as chocolate etc will come calling again one day.

(This is my own experience - I'm not saying its guaranteed, but from my POV it is what has happened to me previously and my clients despite me warning them away from this kind of diet.)

no, they don't.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    If it didn't have a face at one point, it has carbs.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    Starting to wish I hadn't asked!

That is what happens in a open forum, especially if it is called MFP. The problem is that people ask questions without providing enough information about their personal situation, and as you said, sometimes using irony that doesn't translate well in the written word. The results are: hijacked thread, members arguing with each other answers, some people giving the wrong information, and the tune goes on and on.

Next time that you post a question, take your time and explain what kind of information you are really looking for. Or better, Google it first. The last time that I checked, Mr. Google or Ms. Cortana don't argue with each other and don't hijack threads.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    @cwolfman13
    If you say so. I was never part of any other internet forum so I can't argue with that statement. And after reading your comment, I never will.
    One of the things that I learned in all the years that I have been part of MFP is to never ask any questions about health, fitness or diet. Good answers get lost in the mix of arguments.

Oh yeah, MFP is pretty mild compared to others-you should have been on MDA during it's heyday, brutal :p
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So with help of a nutritionist I'm meant to be on a low carb diet.

But now I'm confused.

Items such as cucumber are coming up as carbs? And so are carrots?

And she's told me now I'm eating too many carbs??

I live on meat, fish, fresh fruit, veg and a few nuts.

So what are carbs???????

OP, your thread kind of got hijacked here but I waned to add something.

If I remember correctly, it came up in another thread that your diet is already very restrictive due to stomach issues. It is completely unnecessary to restrict your diet any further than it absolutely needs to be. If a food agrees with your digestive system, log it and eat it. You don't HAVE to eat low carb to lose weight.

I would strongly recommend asking your doctor for a referral to a Registered Dietitian to go over the foods that upset your stomach and how to make a healthy diet from what's left. :drinker:
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So with help of a nutritionist I'm meant to be on a low carb diet.

But now I'm confused.

Items such as cucumber are coming up as carbs? And so are carrots?

And she's told me now I'm eating too many carbs??

I live on meat, fish, fresh fruit, veg and a few nuts.

So what are carbs???????

OP, your thread kind of got hijacked here but I waned to add something.

If I remember correctly, it came up in another thread that your diet is already very restrictive due to stomach issues. It is completely unnecessary to restrict your diet any further than it absolutely needs to be. If a food agrees with your digestive system, log it and eat it. You don't HAVE to eat low carb to lose weight.

I would strongly recommend asking your doctor for a referral to a Registered Dietitian to go over the foods that upset your stomach and how to make a healthy diet from what's left. :drinker:

Hi, thanks for noticing my original question . I have just explained what I was actually trying to say.

I get severe stomach pains from gluten, starchy foods and most dairy. So I tend to just try and eat a very basic diet and that's what works for me.

OP, have you seen a doctor? You really should if you have not already to find out what the cause is of your gastrointestinal distress. A condition behind the issues could be causing other havoc with your body of which you may by asymptomatic and not aware.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I would imagine that your nutritionist is referring to heavy/refined/processed carbs that don't have much nutrition, such as bread or pasta.

Carbs in fruits and vegetables are fine as they're natural - these are 'fiber' carbs and needed.

Just like sugar in a banana is natural when compared to sugar in sweets, natural carbs are full of nutrition (such as fibre) and are a much better choice when compared to processed carbs.

So carbs in bread....are not fiber carbs...and are not natural? Hmmmm.

No, bread isn't natural, it's man made and it's a refined carb (especially if it's white, whole grain is better for you and more nutritional). Bread is made from natural ingredients (wheat) so does have fiber in it, but it's a 'starchy' refined carb and nowhere near as nutritional as natural fiber carbs found in vegetables that grow naturally, such as broccoli.

How can something with "natural ingredients" be unnatural? I mean, if I made a pot of chili that would be (wo)manmade, but it doesn't mean that the nutrients in it somehow vanish. Many of the foods we eat undergo some form of prep or processing (either by us or prior to the point of purchase).

A diet can include bread and broccoli. It's not like we have to forgo all the benefits of broccoli forever in order to have a slice of bread.

Beans in that chili or Texas style? Just had to ask.....

Just sharing for funsies: My mom used to make chili with beans, but we didn't like it so she started using macaroni. Thank God nobody called the authorities, because I'm pretty sure that was a crime.

Your mom made goolosh.

I though goulash traditionally had beets in it?