What the hell are carbs?

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    nefudaboss wrote: »
    Carbs, non essential macro nutrient aka sugar, glucose, hydrogen, carbon, oxygen... the trigger for insulin (fat storage hormone) also known for lowering cortisol (stress) and raising leptin ( tells brain your full and to burn fat)

Low carb is messed up unless you go keto (high fat) with it, cause Itll make you cranky and argumentive

Excess calories result in fat storage, not insulin

This is technically incorrect. If your body produces no insulin, as in type 1 diabetes, you will lose weight no matter how many calories you consume.

Freely quoting wikipedia: "Particularly in type 1 diabetics the lack of insulin in the bloodstream prevents glucose absorption, thereby inhibiting the production of oxaloacetate (a crucial molecule for processing Acetyl-CoA, the product of beta-oxidation of fatty acids, in the Krebs cycle) through reduced levels of pyruvate (a byproduct of glycolysis), and can cause unchecked ketone body production (through fatty acid metabolism) potentially leading to dangerous glucose and ketone levels in the blood."

It's basically a deadly cycle of "oh, brain needs glucose and it's not getting any (because no insulin but your body doesn't know that), better make more glucose. Oh I'm making a lot of glucose so I can't break down this fat, better make ketones." It's a malfunction as the calories can't actually be used and your body just keeps pouring them into your bloodstream anyway.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    annabel92 wrote: »
    I would imagine that your nutritionist is referring to heavy/refined/processed carbs that don't have much nutrition, such as bread or pasta.

Carbs in fruits and vegetables are fine as they're natural - these are 'fiber' carbs and needed.

Just like sugar in a banana is natural when compared to sugar in sweets, natural carbs are full of nutrition (such as fibre) and are a much better choice when compared to processed carbs.

So carbs in bread....are not fiber carbs...and are not natural? Hmmmm.

No, bread isn't natural, it's man made and it's a refined carb (especially if it's white, whole grain is better for you and more nutritional). Bread is made from natural ingredients (wheat) so does have fiber in it, but it's a 'starchy' refined carb and nowhere near as nutritional as natural fiber carbs found in vegetables that grow naturally, such as broccoli.

So....ummmm...is it the chopping that makes wheat not a "natural fiber carb"? And...uh...what happens if you chop the tender broccoli florettes from the thick, inedible, gnarly, but surely naturally fibrous stalks?

[French Peasant scratches her head as she looks at a stand of wheat growing next to some broccoli plants in her garden.]

A bit off topic, but you're missing out if you don't eat the stalks ;). They're the best part! You may have to trim the very outside off if you're not cooking them, but the steamed broccoli stalk is fabulous. I'm at the point where I get mad at the preponderance of stores only selling broccoli crowns.

There's a big ole sign right next to the broccoli stand at my fruit n veg store saying ""Do NOT remove the stalks,
    if you do so you will be charged for broccoli crowns"
    , which are far more expensive than the regular stalk broccoli.
    Admittedly i have snapped the stalks off before putting the broccoli in the bag (what a scab i am), because it bugs me to pay for the bit i discard which is the heaviest part! But that sign scared me straight :lol: Not just the paying more part, but being embarrassed and called out at the checkout.

I was finally reading my spiralizer cookbook and it tells how to spiralize broccoli stalks - one of these days I'm going to try it!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I would imagine that your nutritionist is referring to heavy/refined/processed carbs that don't have much nutrition, such as bread or pasta.

Carbs in fruits and vegetables are fine as they're natural - these are 'fiber' carbs and needed.

Just like sugar in a banana is natural when compared to sugar in sweets, natural carbs are full of nutrition (such as fibre) and are a much better choice when compared to processed carbs.

No, bread isn't natural, it's man made and it's a refined carb (especially if it's white, whole grain is better for you and more nutritional). Bread is made from natural ingredients (wheat) so does have fiber in it, but it's a 'starchy' refined carb and nowhere near as nutritional as natural fiber carbs found in vegetables that grow naturally, such as broccoli.

So....ummmm...is it the chopping that makes wheat not a "natural fiber carb"? And...uh...what happens if you chop the tender broccoli florettes from the thick, inedible, gnarly, but surely naturally fibrous stalks?

[French Peasant scratches her head as she looks at a stand of wheat growing next to some broccoli plants in her garden.]

A bit off topic, but you're missing out if you don't eat the stalks ;). They're the best part! You may have to trim the very outside off if you're not cooking them, but the steamed broccoli stalk is fabulous. I'm at the point where I get mad at the preponderance of stores only selling broccoli crowns.

There's a big ole sign right next to the broccoli stand at my fruit n veg store saying ""Do NOT remove the stalks,
    Admittedly i have snapped the stalks off before putting the broccoli in the bag (what a scab i am), because it bugs me to pay for the bit i discard which is the heaviest part! But that sign scared me straight :lol: Not just the paying more part, but being embarrassed and called out at the checkout.

Try cooking them! They have an entirely different flavor (to me) than the crown. Trim the very bottom off, and if you need to you can shave the sides with a vegetable peeler, but closer to the crown it's usually pretty tender. That way, no fear of shame OR waste ;)

I am definitely going to try this next time :+1:

They are also very good in soups!
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Carbs, non essential macro nutrient aka sugar, glucose, hydrogen, carbon, oxygen... the trigger for insulin (fat storage hormone) also known for lowering cortisol (stress) and raising leptin ( tells brain your full and to burn fat)

Low carb is messed up unless you go keto (high fat) with it, cause Itll make you cranky and argumentive

This is technically incorrect. If your body produces no insulin, as in type 1 diabetes, you will lose weight no matter how many calories you consume.

Which is the exact opposite of what I was saying and I was referring to someone with no medical condition....

Insulin is required for everyone, medical condition or not, and it does effect the way the body handles and stores calories. I know this won't get heard on this particular forum, but multiple studies have found that the same exact calories don't always result in the same amount of fat gain. The body is a complicated machine.

Links to said studies...

Without insulin you wouldn't be able to store fat. It's a pretty basic understanding of how the human body works...

That is false.

Based off what?

How would your body store fat without insulin, please explain.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »

I was finally reading my spiralizer cookbook and it tells how to spiralize broccoli stalks - one of these days I'm going to try it!

I do this, they're a lot less soggy than zucchini when cooked, and are great blanched and in a salad.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Which is the exact opposite of what I was saying and I was referring to someone with no medical condition....

Insulin is required for everyone, medical condition or not, and it does effect the way the body handles and stores calories. I know this won't get heard on this particular forum, but multiple studies have found that the same exact calories don't always result in the same amount of fat gain. The body is a complicated machine.

Links to said studies...

Without insulin you wouldn't be able to store fat. It's a pretty basic understanding of how the human body works...

You said multiple studies show the same exact calories don't by result in weight losss and I asked you to link to said studies.

But please, keep changing the subject ...
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

Links to said studies...

You said multiple studies show the same exact calories don't by result in weight losss and I asked you to link to said studies.

I think you're confused and should look at the quotes to see who said what.

But back to what I was saying. Without insulin you aren't able to put on fat. In response to you saying "Excess calories result in fat storage, not insulin". Without insulin, there is no fat storage.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

Links to said studies...

I think you're confused and should look at the quotes to see who said what.

But back to what I was saying. Without insulin you aren't able to put on fat. In response to you saying "Excess calories result in fat storage, not insulin". Without insulin, there is no fat storage.

Acylation Stimulating Protein aka ASP
  • emmaellery1989
    emmaellery1989 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How do I delete this? Had so much negativity over a simple question.

People seem to think both myself and my nutritionist are idiots
  • quafferj
    quafferj Posts: 45 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Carcomymrates are like spaghetti, breads, paper towels...

Yea i just cant kick the paper towel habit

You should meet my puppy...paper towels and toilet paper ARE a food group for him, i swear