Planet Fitness

Replies

• KaeCir09
    KaeCir09 Posts: 9 Member
    piefeck wrote: »
    The membership fees sound too good to be true. Is there a catch? For those of you that go, what are the good & bad opinions you have?

There is not a catch. I find it convenient. I like to use the treadmill and some of the other machines that target the stomach and quadriceps.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    To answer the original question.

Every PF is a little different. Mine(and many others) are very little different from a regular gym.

Others are hostile towards "lunks"

Where I go...it's my rainy day plan... there's folks doing DLs in the Smith's, there are kettlebells and folks swinging them. No screaming... but an occasional grunt or sigh.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    dym1 wrote: »
    the catch is they don't like people who take their workouts too seriously - no deadlifts, no noises, no supersets, no benching, no overhead press. if you like just cardio I guess it could be ok.

You are incorrect in almost everything you said.

I dead lift, super set, bench and overhead weekly.
    They don't want people screaming and dropping weights. If you are referring to that as noise. Actually its nice, not having that guy doing massive 70 pound bench press grunting like he just lifted a car.

It is not the gym to turn you into mr olympia. But for the other 80% of people that don't need more than 75 pound dumbbells, and are okay using a smith machine its a good place.
    Cheap, clean, never much if any wait for using a machine or spot to use the dumbbells.

If you think a 70lb bench press is massive, then you're right, Planet Fitness is perfect for you.

Pretty sure that was an ironic use of the word massive.

Because at any gym I've ever been at. It's not the guys doing actually massive lifts(250-400lb) screaming... it's the puffy(not to be confused with fluffy) guy who's doing 70 or 90 lbs. And it's not like he's grunting on the last press he's screaming like he's on the electric chair for 30-90 seconds.

I must have lucked out most of my life with gyms...I've only ever been a member of one like this and it was a Gold's...I've been in and out of gyms most of my life and I've rarely encountered this kind of stuff.

I'm at a small studio gym now that isn't open to the public...pretty much everyone there is just serious business...and Oly lifting is part of what everyone does, including my 70 year old lifting buddy...who would obviously be considered a lunk at PF...super intimidating 70 year old man doing clean and jerks...
  • Xymheia
    Xymheia Posts: 65 Member
    edited July 2017
    I know that type of puffy guy, he's likely on 'roids and uses bro technique. In my gym this type of guy grunts like there is no tomorrow and also drops the weights without reason. I usually ignore them, but sometimes groups of them hog the bench press and lat pull down which is annoying.

Provided the equipment is half decent and you're just beginning (especially for women who tend to start at a lower level than men) it's fine to train with machines, a couple of dumbbells, kettlebells and do some cardio to build up strength and fitness for a year and then switch to another gym if needed. Just make sure you challenge yourself and use progressive overloading like ordinary barbell training. If you don't know whether you'll like strength training it's a bit of a stretch to join an oly or power lifting gym but if it's something you'd like to try out certainly do.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    PF is alright. The massage chairs are nice, the equipment is generally well taken care of and clean.

The problem is the lack of barbells makes it quite limited.

But it's alright for light dumbbell workouts and cardio.
  • southerngirl1966
    southerngirl1966 Posts: 24 Member
    edited July 2017
    I think it depends on the size of the gym and the area you are in. I LOVE the 2 Planet Fitness gyms that I frequent. They actually have up to 150 pound dumb bells but i do not need them. There are also lots of them, but these are both very large gyms. They both have quite a few "lunks" that are members. The Lunk gym in our area closed so they had to go somewhere. I see people with tank tops, carrying jugs of water, and doing the movements that I keep reading you aren't allowed to do. No dead lifts? Really? I do them every week. I hear regular grunting and sometimes someone even drops weights! There are also quite a few personal trainers on staff and they don't mind if you train with your own trainer. I love that it is clean, large, open 24 hours with staff and CHEAP. I pay extra for the massages etc as well. You have to do what works for you!
  • SeikoMonster
    SeikoMonster Posts: 105 Member
    dym1 wrote: »

If you think a 70lb bench press is massive, then you're right, Planet Fitness is perfect for you.
    I was being sarcastic. It is usually the idiot putting up little weight making the most noise.

• SeikoMonster
    SeikoMonster Posts: 105 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Anyone who needs to put some effort into the lift is going to make a little noise...that's not show boating, that's actually working out...and nobody is grunting with 70 Lbs...

The 70 pound massive lift was a true story from yesterday... I am not kidding in the slightest. You would have thought he was lifting a car that was stuck on his chest.

I'm in agreement with you. I can only speak to the 2 PF's I go to. A little grunt or sharp breath as you lift is not a problem at either of them. Its the idiots that are the problem. Ive only had the "Lunk Alarm" go of twice in my 4-5 months there. Some jack wagon intentionally dropped a 60 pound bar bell while doing bicep curls. And the 70 pounder.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    I would be in for the client retaining pizza parties $10 a month is a cheap price to pay for a pizza dinner once per week. good commercial quality cardio equipment ain't cheap you could buy about 10 years worth of PF before you bought a treadmill. This all being said PF is certainly not for me. I don't make a ton of noise when I workout but I don't need a siren going off if I grunt through my last rep nor do I need a smith machine forcing me into an unnatural bar path.
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    It is a great place for cardio, I powerlift at home. For me its convenient and can usually find one when traveling. I do get a kick out of people using the smith machines, but hey they are doing more than most people.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    I stick to machine-based strength training, and cardio machines. there is a freeweight section, but it's smaller when compared to other gyms I've been to, and as mentioned above, they don't want to hear any weights dropping or clanking, and they don't want to hear any loud grunting.

Not just loud grunting. Officially, they don't want to hear even the slightest amount of grunting. Not even loud exhaling.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/yp51yc/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-the-plight-of-muscled-americans

If you're lucky though, the management at your local PF won't be so draconian.

Basically, I'd say that PF is okay for LIGHT cardio and some lighter isolated resistance training. Not very good for the more effective weight training moves that just about everyone should be doing.
  • spartan_d
    They don't want people screaming and dropping weights. If you are referring to that as noise. Actually its nice, not having that guy doing massive 70 pound bench press grunting like he just lifted a car.
    Seriously? 70 lbs isn't even a beginner level bench press. That's the exactly the sort of mentality that PF tries to promote -- the notion that people above a beginner level are somehow being excessive.
  • spartan_d
    BTW, whatever you do, don't go with their workout recommendations. I kid you not.

7s6f9xe8tms6.png
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Seriously? 70 lbs isn't even a beginner level bench press. That's the exactly the sort of mentality that PF tries to promote -- the notion that people above a beginner level are somehow being excessive.

As someone that's working to pass her 75lb bench press and feels darn proud of it can I just say that you might want to watch your tone? I know you're trying to make a point and call out someone else BUT you basically just tore down everyone that's benching under 100lbs in the process.

Ma'm, he was talking about "that guy" doing a 70lb bench press. I understand that some women would reasonably feel proud of a 75lb bench press, but for the majority of men, that's pretty much a warm-up weight for beginners.

Again, for most MEN, it's not even a beginner weight.
  • spartan_d
    As for screaming during a bench press -- I am skeptical that this story played out exactly as stated, precisely because 70lbs is way too light for even novice male lifters. Even if we grant it to be true though, most people would agree that screaming or grunting excessively during a lift is poor gym etiquette. Same thing with slamming weights to the ground. This is not unique at all to Planet Fitness.

The real problem is that PF goes way overboard. Officially, even light grunting is prohibited, as shown in the video that I posted. Ditto for dropping weights naturally, such as at the end of a heavy dumbbell bench press. This is often the safest thing to do, and the only way to avoid it is to prevent people from working harder.

• spartan_d
    Again, I was not talking about women. The post referred to a man lifting 70lbs, and whether you like it or not, that IS well below a beginner level for men.

You say that "lots of women and men are struggling to get there." I'd really like to see how many men are truly "struggling" to reach the 70lb bench press level. I can guarantee that it's nowhere near a lot.