Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Although PF is my secondary gym for mainly cardio, I still feel they are hypocrites. How can you call yourself a "no judgement zone" and judge people that lift heavy. I've been thinking of cancelling my membership, I only go once or twice a week, usually after a lifting session at my other gym. Maybe I'll walk in there wearing a muscle shirt, grunt and drop some weights and they'll kick me out.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Oh my gawd, a proposed schedule with rest days? Two of them! A week!

It's a crime against humanity.

Please tell me you're not serious. Do you seriously think that people object to these workout programs because they allow for rest days?

Here's a suggestion. Take a good close look at this plan again. Take a look at their proposed exercises for each day, then compare them against, say, the Mayo Clinic's minimum recommendations for basic fitness. Do you notice any discrepancies?

83cf0b9w9yi5.png
  • spartan_d
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    I dead lift, super set, bench and overhead weekly.
    They don't want people screaming and dropping weights. If you are referring to that as noise. Actually its nice, not having that guy doing massive 70 pound bench press grunting like he just lifted a car.
    Seriously? 70 lbs isn't even a beginner level bench press. That's the exactly the sort of mentality that PF tries to promote -- the notion that people above a beginner level are somehow being excessive.

As someone that's working to pass her 75lb bench press and feels darn proud of it can I just say that you might want to be mindful of your tone or at least the way you phrase your argument? I know you're trying to make a point and call out someone else BUT you basically just tore down everyone that's benching under 100lbs in the process.
    LOTS of people start off way below 70lb on a bench press.

Context, context, context...the response was to a post that was specifically about a "dude"....context of discussion is kind of important.

Outside of a brand new lifter, most guys aren't going to have an issue with 70 Lbs...and even if they are brand new, 70 Lbs won't be much issue for very long.

Correct. In fact, even most beginners can start with much more weight than that.

Here are some typical bench press standards. Note that unless you're an absolute beginner and really tiny -- somewhere around 125 lbs -- you should be able to bench more than just 70lbs. Of course, there will be exceptions, but that's a decent general guideline.

I find it mindboggling that when we can talk about the typical strength capabilities for men, there will be people who protest, "Wait a minute! I'm a woman, and I can't lift that much! You're insulting me!"

• spartan_d
    Options
    If I miss a squat or DL day at work I can find other ways to get a solid leg day in. Sometimes you have to be creative. Like doing RDL on the smith machines they have. Or front squats like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx8O2ziMeiA

I hate to break it to you, but that's not a front squat. In fact, it's the opposite.

As for doing RDLs in a Smith machine, I wouldn't recommend it. Opinions differ, but I personally believe that it imposes an unnatural plane of motion. I'd be concerned about causing injury that way, especially if you go heavy (as one typically should for the deadlift to be effective).
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with the PF by me. I get most of my heavy lifting done at my workplace gym. Those days I can't make it over or if I want a weekend session I can accomplish a good lifting session there. There are some fairly muscular people at the one I go to and they work hard when they are there. About the only no-no I've heard tell about is the spaghetti strap tanks.

If I miss a squat or DL day at work I can find other ways to get a solid leg day in. Sometimes you have to be creative. Like doing RDL on the smith machines they have. Or front squats like this:

That's not a front squat.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

I hate to break it to you, but that's not a front squat. In fact, it's the opposite.

As for doing RDLs in a Smith machine, I wouldn't recommend it. Opinions differ, but I personally believe that it imposes an unnatural plane of motion. I'd be concerned about causing injury that way, especially if you go heavy (as one typically should for the deadlift to be effective).

Just curious about what you think is the unnatural about the plane of motion during an RDL in a smith machine.
  • spartan_d
    Options

Just curious about what you think is the unnatural about the plane of motion during an RDL in a smith machine.
    Nothing I can quite put my finger on, to be honest. I suspect that someone who's more versed in exercise physiology could be more specific, though even then, opinions may vary. From what I've read online though, it's a fairly common complaint.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

Nothing I can quite put my finger on, to be honest. I suspect that someone who's more versed in exercise physiology could be more specific, though even then, opinions may vary. From what I've read online though, it's a fairly common complaint.

I mean it's in a fixed plane of motion. Doesn't necessarily make it an unnatural plane of motion. Just like any machine. More stability, which allows you to add a heavier weight, but you are not required to balance which makes it less work for the smaller muscles that would be used to keep balance and stabilize. It's not better or wore per say, but having to choose one, generally you'd want to choose a free standing exercise if you had to choose one or the other. But if you are just not able to do a regular barbell squat or barbell RDL, a smith machine is better than not if you are using safe and effective form/muscle contraction.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options

Please tell me you're not serious. Do you seriously think that people object to these workout programs because they allow for rest days?

Here's a suggestion. Take a good close look at this plan again. Take a look at their proposed exercises for each day, then compare them against, say, the Mayo Clinic's minimum recommendations for basic fitness. Do you notice any discrepancies?

83cf0b9w9yi5.png
    I don't give a discarded sweetwrapper about the Mayo Clinic. You posted an image which targets the 'tanning' segments. If that's the main issue, which it is, according to the image you posted, then the headline is vacuous in the extreme, because it's just a blinking rest day.

I can't take criticism of any work-out schedule seriously if it solely consists of ragging on a jazzed-up rest day.
  • spartan_d
    Options

83cf0b9w9yi5.png
    I don't give a discarded sweetwrapper about the Mayo Clinic. You posted an image which targets the 'tanning' segments. If that's the main issue, which it is, according to the image you posted, then the headline is vacuous in the extreme, because it's just a blinking rest day.

I can't take criticism of any work-out schedule seriously if it solely consists of ragging on a jazzed-up rest day.
    cwolfman13 is correct. You have missed the point of these objections.

First, while the image in question does draw attention to the tanning days, nowhere does it state that it "solely consist of ragging on a jazzed-up rest day." If anything, it should be obvious that there are multiple problems with these workout plans. The notion that this is the ONLY problem I have with these plans is pure supposition, unsupported by actual evidence.

Second, these workout plans amount to an ENTIRE WEEK of rest days. The overwhelming majority of the exercises prescribed (ten measly crunches, for example) amount to practically nothing. Are they more demanding that lying in a tanning bed? Technically, sure, but barely so. Even 20 minutes on a treadmill would still be a legitimate rest day for anyone who's not purely sedentary.

For that matter, it's noteworthy that the tanning days weren't even labeled as rest days. Whoever prescribed these plans obviously knows what a rest day is, as evidenced by the "Saturday relax" entry.

And third, the fact that they prescribe tanning AT ALL is a problem in itself. Do we need to explain why?
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options

83cf0b9w9yi5.png

cwolfman13 is correct. You have missed the point of these objections.

First, while the image in question does draw attention to the tanning days, nowhere does it state that it "solely consist of ragging on a jazzed-up rest day." If anything, it should be obvious that there are multiple problems with these workout plans. The notion that this is the ONLY problem I have with these plans is pure supposition, unsupported by actual evidence.

Second, these workout plans amount to an ENTIRE WEEK of rest days. The overwhelming majority of the exercises prescribed (ten measly crunches, for example) amount to practically nothing. Are they more demanding that lying in a tanning bed? Technically, sure, but barely so. Even 20 minutes on a treadmill would still be a legitimate rest day for anyone who's not purely sedentary.

For that matter, it's noteworthy that the tanning days weren't even labeled as rest days. Whoever prescribed these plans obviously knows what a rest day is, as evidenced by the "Saturday relax" entry.

And third, the fact that they prescribe tanning AT ALL is a problem in itself. Do we need to explain why?
    You misunderstand.

I'm characterising that image as 'solely consist[ing] of ragging on a jazzed-up rest day'. It naturally wouldn't describe itself so derisively. Or perhaps it would. I don't know how seriously the dude/dudette wielding MS Paint took their work.

But that is what that image is. It's a cheap shot, wholly without substance or merit, and probably only intended as a light quip, and not as a serious concern.

But if you take it seriously as an argument, I could find any Proper Workout Plan For Proper Athletes du jour, copy-and-paste the entries and then put "five minutes tanning" for one of the rest days, and that ridiculous tagline would then apply equally to the slightly amended Proper Workout Plan.

So, in conclusion, it's nonsense, and I responded to it in that spirit. It makes no claims of substance about the entries for the other days of the week, and I will not pretend it did!
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I just left our old local gym. They tried rebranding into an "athletic club" and wanted exorbitant fees. Hardly worth it when the showers never ran warm, the water fountain was broken every other week, and a quarter of their equipment was busted on a regular basis. Anyway, we looked into the planet fitness in our town because of how cheap it was. When we were getting the tour, the employee seemed quite put off that I inquired about a pull up bar, deadlift equip, etc. And I was put off that she recommended I don't wear strappy tops or strappy sports bras that showed under a top. I get not wanting people to work out in essentially underwear, but it felt like I was in high school again with the dress code. We decided it seemed like a nice gym for a beginner or gym goer who would mainly do cardio. But it didn't have the equipment we wanted for our needs. There's my two cents.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

Yes, I realize that's not a front squat. I miswrote. But whatever it's called it still hits the front quads quite hard.

As for RDL, I do them both free style BB and, when I need to, at PF using the smith machine. I can't tell any difference between using the BB or the smith machine for RDL. Back squats in smith machine, no way, but for RDL it's fine.

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Haven't ventured into this space yet but our PF has something similar in a room off to the side. One of these days I'm going to try those battle ropes and also the jump platform.

o.jpg
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I just left our old local gym. They tried rebranding into an "athletic club" and wanted exorbitant fees. Hardly worth it when the showers never ran warm, the water fountain was broken every other week, and a quarter of their equipment was busted on a regular basis. Anyway, we looked into the planet fitness in our town because of how cheap it was. When we were getting the tour, the employee seemed quite put off that I inquired about a pull up bar, deadlift equip, etc. And I was put off that she recommended I don't wear strappy tops or strappy sports bras that showed under a top. I get not wanting people to work out in essentially underwear, but it felt like I was in high school again with the dress code. We decided it seemed like a nice gym for a beginner or gym goer who would mainly do cardio. But it didn't have the equipment we wanted for our needs. There's my two cents.

That was my impression too when I checked out a local PF some years ago. It was filled with rows of cardio machines, and the freeweight area consisted of a rack of dumbbells that only went up to like 60 lbs. and a couple of adjustable benches. That was also where the lunk alarm was conveniently located, which seemed awfully judgmental for a "judgment-free zone". I was a triathlete at the time and coming from a cycling background I was pretty lean, and I was a bit put off by the employee showing me around who wouldn't stop going on about losing weight, despite me frequently reminding her that wasn't my goal.

It's interesting to hear that other locations do have barbells and racks, I assumed that since it was a chain that all locations would be pretty much the same. I didn't join because it simply wouldn't meet my goals, but it may be a good fit for someone mainly looking to do cardio.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Haven't ventured into this space yet but our PF has something similar in a room off to the side. One of these days I'm going to try those battle ropes and also the jump platform.

o.jpg

That equipment looks gymtimidating
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

o.jpg

That equipment looks gymtimidating

Not so much when you get close and see it for the various independent stations thereof. There should be little cards by each station with pictures showing its use and muscles exercised thereby.
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    70 lbs is a basic physical ability. I've never been at a job that didn't include the phrase "Able to lift 70 lbs objects" as part of the job requirements/description. Seriously, even as a security officer when I was at college, working in a hospital as a manager, any office job that I've ever applied too. Was part of the description for applying as a postal carrier. I spent nearly a year & a half out of steady employment work when the economy tanked & applied to thousands of jobs & it was on the job description for a majority of them.

I don't think PF is a bad place to be if you just need somewhere to work out & you don't have space or can't afford to have a piece of equipment or two at home. $10 a month for 12 months wont cover the cost of even a crappy treadmill. Outside of doing light lifting or cardio, it's probably not what you're looking for. If that's all you need though, it's probably an ok option. Just don't get all grunty & lunky while your there. LOL
  • haroldrios1692
    haroldrios1692 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    LOL @planet fitness
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Since there are no lunks allowed, there wouldn't be an hottie lady lunks either, and that would be disappointing...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_m10tcy81o11rroyh2o4_1280.jpg

Samantha Wright is one bad *kitten* mama jama!!!