Is fruit unhealthy to eat ??

Options
Sil209xo
Sil209xo Posts: 11 Member
I hear so many mixed reviews about fruits . What do you guys think ? I hear it's loaded with sugar and it's not good for you to eat everyday . Hmm

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    It's not good for me to eat a lot of fruit, but that's because of the oxalates in it since I tend to form kidney stones. I wouldn't be worried about the sugar though.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Great source of nutrients, great taste, good for you. The sugar might not be great for your teeth, so brush well, but it's definitely healthy.
  • Chaimfonseca95
    Chaimfonseca95 Posts: 10 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If you're scared of fruit having an adverse effect always have protein with it and/or vegetables. That's what I do. Examples are raspberries with cashews or almonds. Since it's summer time I usually freeze the fruits I eat so it tastes like ice cream.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    You only have to be strict about portions if you have blood sugar problems. Which I do, but I take small portions and pair the fruit with a protein so as to keep my blood sugar from spiking. Cantaloupe is particularly low cal and so are strawberries if that is a concern.
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Fruit is very healthy. You just need to watch calories and your good. Case in point. I used to drink fruit juice with ervy meal until I started counting calories and realized how many I was drinking. Using inherently wrong with sugar unless you need to avoid it medically. The sugar it contains is all natural unlike the refined and processed junk contained in junk food.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I split up my meals into carbs, protein and veggies. I just count fruit as carbs and don't worry about it. I am a huge advocate for fruit being healthy. Fruit gets a bad rap because it is considered a simple sugar (like table sugar) and not a complex carb (like sweet potatoes). The fiber in fruit slows down the uptake of sugar and doesn't cause as much of a blood sugar spike as say table sugar. Look up glycemic index and it will explain it better
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Can you share some of these mixed reviews? I don't know why but the concept of bad fruit reviews is making me want to laugh :smiley:
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I personally don´t fear fruit... But I learned since I stated using MFP that too much of everything is bad.

I use fruit as a snack... Bananas, Cantaloupes, pears and apples are my personally favorite. And if I do smoothies I use berries.

Just watch portions and enjoy because fruits are a great source of vitamins, fiber... and delicious!
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I really enjoy fresh raw fruit AND it's all in season currently. A whole fruit has fiber, which moderates the insulin impact of the sugar content. I often eat a few nuts or add dollop of cream or a 1/2 serving of plain yoghurt, when I am eating fruit. The added fat and protein furthers moderates the insulin impact. So, I am all for enjoying the taste of fruit and all the nutrients and digestive enzymes fruit provides...in moderation.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am a big believer in eating a rainbow, which is hard to do without fruit. In fact, one of the chefs at work just brought me a giant bowl of fresh fruit (I LOVE fruit, particularly in season stuff). I will eat all of it and not feel one bit of remorse. That being said, I'll eat more protein later today and try to get some leafy greens, too, to balance it all out.

Part of the reason I love it is that it is light and refreshing and the evil natural sugars give me a pleasant little energy boost. Fruit was a staple for me when I was still seriously competitively horseback riding because of all that. It was something I could eat easily on a nervous stomach. Love me some fruit!