Is fruit unhealthy to eat ??

Options

Replies

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    fruit is fine! Barring if you are diabetic, eat as much as you can fit into your calorie count. Lots of vitamins in fruit, esp in the skin so I wouldn't peel that apple or pear, but snack away!
  • MikeyM1982
    MikeyM1982 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Anyone who thinks that the so called "negatives" of the natural sugar in fruit outweigh the benefits of all the natural and healthy nutrients is out of their mind! This perception drives me insane!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    Unhealthy to eat fruit? Seriously? What nonsense!
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Sorry, but it's entirely possible to get fat from eating fruit. :(

Sure, if it's over your caloric needs? Fruit itself isn't going to be what does ya in.
  • Marie45
    Marie45 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm wary of eating too much fruit. I have a daughter who's extremely sensitive to the sugars in certain fruits. If she eats grapes, for example, for a couple of days in a row, her behaviour completely changes. She's ten times worse with dried fruit like raisins.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Sorry, but it's entirely possible to get fat from eating fruit. :(

Sure, if it's over your caloric needs? Fruit itself isn't going to be what does ya in.

But my point is that it definitely *can* be. If you are consistently over your caloric limit due to the amount of fruit you eat, it most certainly could be "what does you in." ;)

If anyone had a mind to (and hopefully they don't) they could definitely get fat on a diet that excluded everything except fruit.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    It's not good for me to eat a lot of fruit, but that's because of the oxalates in it since I tend to form kidney stones. I wouldn't be worried about the sugar though.

I'm also a kidney stone former. Not all fruit is high in oxalates, though. Most of the time I try to eat those fruits, but every once in a while I like my berries as a treat.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    rmgnow wrote: »
    I Personally think that natural sugar is different than processed sugar, and your body responds to fruit differently.

I disagree. I get a painful physical reaction to high carb intake (my whole body feels like it's bruised).

One day, I went apple picking. I ate nothing that day but apples. I got the same pain the next day as eating sweets, bread, tortilla chips, heavy carby sauces, etc.

I get that! You're the first person I've found who says the same and now I feel less crazy. After a huge sugary carby day, I wak up feeling like I've been beaten - bra straps hurt, loose clothing is a must. Thank you for making me less crazy!

(although, call me crazy (again) but have we connected over this before? I feel like we may have had this discussion)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    rmgnow wrote: »
    I Personally think that natural sugar is different than processed sugar, and your body responds to fruit differently.

I disagree. I get a painful physical reaction to high carb intake (my whole body feels like it's bruised).

One day, I went apple picking. I ate nothing that day but apples. I got the same pain the next day as eating sweets, bread, tortilla chips, heavy carby sauces, etc.

I get that! You're the first person I've found who says the same and now I feel less crazy. After a huge sugary carby day, I wak up feeling like I've been beaten - bra straps hurt, loose clothing is a must. Thank you for making me less crazy!

(although, call me crazy (again) but have we connected over this before? I feel like we may have had this discussion)

What?!?!? You haven't seen me post about this before? I wish I would have known. I feel so lonely. I don't remember us connecting over this!

Yes. It's so bad it hurts to pull up my pants over my legs and put a bra on.

I want to tell you some of the things I've found out about it. Let's chat on private messages sometime.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Like anything else, if one eats it to excess and it exceeds your calorie intake or so much that it causes gastrointestinal issues, then yes it could be undesirable.
    But the whole "sugar" issue is propaganda from people who blame sugar as the cause for weight gain. Go anywhere else in the world where obesity and being overweight isn't an issue and I'm betting that fruit is a normal part of their dietary intake.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • liligant
    liligant Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    lol girl you need to stop going to youtube for health advice.