Today I Learned...

Options

Replies

• JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    TIL Snapchat was originally called "Picaboo". It's name was changed after they were contacted by a publisher of a book by the same name. The "boo" in the name is the reason the logo is a ghost.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    TIL a quivery voice is one of your body’s fight-or-flight reactions. “It’s all related to your vocal cords, which are regulated by the vagus nerve,” Andrew Ordon, MD, said on The Doctors. “The vagus nerve has a ton of connections in your brain, including the amygdala, which is involved with reacting to emotions and situations. The vagus nerve gets stimulated and the vocal cords and the muscles in your neck that tense the vocal cords go through a bit of a spasm.” The result: limited control over your own voice.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    TIL of Dr. Donald Hopkins. He helped eradicate Smallpox, and is on the verge of killing another disease. He's taken Guinea Worm Disease down from 3.5 million cases a year to just 28 cases last year.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL: "39 or 40" decimals of pi are enough to calculate the circumference of the observable universe within the size of the simplest known atom.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/news/2016/3/16/how-many-decimals-of-pi-do-we-really-need/
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL Sir Isaac Newton's dog set his laboratory on fire, ruining his 20 years of research. When he saw what the dog had done, Newton is said to have exclaimed, "O Diamond, Diamond, thou little knowest the mischief thou hast done."
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL Wilma Rudolph had polio as an infant and was unable to walk properly until she was 11. For several years, her family had to massage her legs four times a day, and she had to wear a metal brace. In 1960, she became the first American woman to win three gold medals in an Olympic event.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL that the lead singer of Toto, Joseph Williams, is the son of Star Wars/Jaws/Jurassic Park composer John Williams.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL that in the 50's NASA recruited Deaf people to research why they didn't get motion sickness. Tests included flights in 'Vomit Comet' and sailing in the rough seas (researchers got violently sick, while Deaf people just played cards happily).
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    TIL that light roast coffee has more caffeine than dark roast coffee. That light roast coffee has more of the origin flavor of the bean, whereas dark roast takes on more flavor from the roasting process.

TIL that I like light roast coffee better. haha
  • cee134
    Options
    tinak33 wrote: »
    TIL that light roast coffee has more caffeine than dark roast coffee. That light roast coffee has more of the origin flavor of the bean, whereas dark roast takes on more flavor from the roasting process.

TIL that I like light roast coffee better. haha

I knew that, that's why I now prefer light roast and scoff at dark roast.

cjntsmb32865.gif
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    1sphere wrote: »
    https://artsandculture.google.com/explore this is a nice site to learn and waste time in

Now I know how I'm spending my Friday night, perhaps Saturday night as well.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL The Falkland Islands minefields have become a large nature reserve for Penguins, who aren't heavy enough to detonate them.
  • Liftingat58
    Liftingat58 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    TIL There are a lot of People from Canada on MFP!
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    There is a disagreement about what color tennis balls are: 52% green, 42% yellow 6% other
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL there is a disagreement about what color people say tennis balls are, with 52% saying green, 42% saying yellow and 6% saying "other".
  • Liftingat58
    Liftingat58 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    TIL There is no free samples of Tequila at the liquor store.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL There is no free samples of Tequila at the liquor store.

I disagree. Sometimes there is. But not everyday.