Today I Learned...

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    TIL that in 1938 early aviator Douglas Corrigan was denied permission to fly from New York to Ireland. Since he was denied he planned to fly to California instead. 28 hours later he arrived in Ireland, telling officials that he must have mistakenly gone the wrong way.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    TIL that if you hold your fart in it will eventually dissipate into your blood stream and then it will be expelled in your breath.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL that before McDonald's switched from cooking its fries in beef tallow to vegetable oil, the fries had more saturated beef fat than their hamburgers.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL that the gin and tonic was invented as a result of the British being unable to stomach the taste of bitter malaria medication in India.
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    Binge eating leads to bloatedness and irritability
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    TIL that Joan Jett's "I Love Rock and Roll" was actually a cover of an original by the Arrows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AT_Pbtyid0
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL A team of economists at NYU found that getting off Facebook appears to improve people’s lives. Users who deactivated their accounts for a month seemed to enjoy themselves more as a result, showing decreases in depression and anxiety and improvements in happiness and life satisfaction.

http://web.stanford.edu/~gentzkow/research/facebook.pdf
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL that it took 87 years to build Notre-Dame de Paris cathedral, from 1163-1250.
  • xGreatWhiteNorthx
    xGreatWhiteNorthx Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Today I learned that I dislike plumbing and while I *can* do it, next time I might just hire out the work.
  • robbell678
    robbell678 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Unrequited love can be the worst place to be,....no,..is the worst. Hurts so much.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    robbell678 wrote: »
    Unrequited love can be the worst place to be,....no,..is the worst. Hurts so much.

It sure does 😔
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL that the Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man was created for the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta.

https://news.avclub.com/the-olympic-origins-of-those-wacky-waving-inflatable-ar-1798243184

rlvczc6rj3g1.gif
  • robbell678
    robbell678 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think a girl I see a lot of likes me, how do I know? Super cautious but I’ve always looked toward her.☺️
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    It's time waisting sitting on hold to gov dept.
    I'm sure they've programmed the music on there to hypnotize ppl to forget what they've call for.
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL that a study co-authored by hundreds of physicists, "The Effects of Peanut Butter on the Rotation of the Earth," is only one sentence long: "So far as we can determine, peanut butter has no effect on the rotation of the earth."

https://improbable.com/airchives/classical/articles/peanut_butter_rotation.html
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL that California produces 100% of the U.S almond supply and 80% of the global almond supply.
  • TheSaltedSeaCake
    TheSaltedSeaCake Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Minecraft is senseless relaxation.
  • askeeney
    askeeney Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    q8ktx0otkw1n.jpeg

Take it as you will. It will be funnier than the true story.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    askeeney wrote: »
    q8ktx0otkw1n.jpeg

Take it as you will. It will be funnier than the true story.

Thats funny coz i thought its a race and i always finish first 🤣🤣🤣🤣

This does not surprise me 😜
  • cee134
    Options
    TIL As a child, Einstein's Uncle Jakob introduced him to algebra and called it "a merry science". He compared algebra to hunting a little animal. You didn't know the name of the animal, so you called it "x". When you finally caught the animal you gave it the correct name