Today I Learned...

Replies

• yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    TIL

The entire internet weighs about 50 grams.
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Today I learned my friends politics aren't quite what I thought they were. Ah well, still like him.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    TIL the dictionary isn't as much an instruction guide to the English language, as it is a record of how people are using it. Words aren't added because they're OK to use, but because a lot of people have been using them.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    TIL that quokkas throw their babies on the ground as a defense against predators. The predators eat the babies, which distracts them long enough for the mother to escape.
  • cee134
    TIL that the opening track to Slipknot’s album “Iowa” titled “515” wasn’t just random screaming. Sid Wilson was having an emotional breakdown in the studio because he wasn’t able to make it home to tell his grandfather goodbye before he died.
  • cee134
    TIL that “Double Stuf” Oreos only contain 1.86 times the filling of a regular Oreo.
  • cee134
    TIL that Mr Rogers' Neighborhood featured an episode with Lou Ferrigno on the set of "The Incredible Hulk" to teach children not to be scared of fictional characters in heavy makeup.
  • cee134
    TIL Bears eat bees, not honey. They endure stings on their faces and ears to get to the pupae and larvae, although the bees can't penetrate the bears thick fur. Once the bear leaves the hive, it will shake out the remaining bees from it's fur like it would water.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,255 Member
    today I learned that the brush I use to brush my dogs will get dog fur off the sofa too
  • cee134
    TIL we call people with red hair "red heads" as opposed to "orange heads" because the phrase has been around longer than the color orange. The color orange was described as red up until the 1500's when the first reference of orange in the English language can be found.
  • cee134
    cee134 wrote: »
    TIL Bears eat bees, not honey. They endure stings on their faces and ears to get to the pupae and larvae, although the bees can't penetrate the bears thick fur. Once the bear leaves the hive, it will shake out the remaining bees from it's fur like it would water.

So bears eat baybees

Winnie the Pooh has a lot of explaining to do.
  • cee134
    TIL we call people with red hair "red heads" as opposed to "orange heads" because the phrase has been around longer than the color orange. The color orange was described as red up until the 1500's when the first reference of orange in the English language can be found.

Or geoluhread (yellow-red). Orange the color came after orange the fruit which was named for orange the tree. Most fruits were referred to as some kind of apple. Oranges were "apple of the orange tree". The Swedish word for orange is apelsin. Pomme is French for apple and Pomme de terr is French for potato (lit. "Earth apple")

Ain't no way I'm eating any apples grown on an Orange tree.
  • JetJaguar

Or geoluhread (yellow-red). Orange the color came after orange the fruit which was named for orange the tree. Most fruits were referred to as some kind of apple. Oranges were "apple of the orange tree". The Swedish word for orange is apelsin. Pomme is French for apple and Pomme de terr is French for potato (lit. "Earth apple")

I have a friend who has an orange tree in their yard, except one branch grows lemons (it was spliced on).
  • cee134
    JetJaguar wrote: »

I have a friend who has an orange tree in their yard, except one branch grows lemons (it was spliced on).

I forgot they can do that. I'm not sure it would work with an apple but now I'm reconsidering my "no apple" stance.
  • cee134
    TIL Jimi Hendrix’s contract for Woodstock stipulated that no act could play after him. The scheduled performance times went so far off that he didn’t take the stage until 9am Monday morning. Most people had already left, and only about 10,000 people actually saw him play.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar wrote: »

I forgot they can do that. I'm not sure it would work with an apple but now I'm reconsidering my "no apple" stance.

Yeah, I don't know if an apple branch on an orange tree would work. I'd think that the grafts would have to be from trees in the same family, but I'm no gardener and don't really know.
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    I learned to love others. I was snarky on the forums and got a warning. I realized instead of a knee jerk reaction and just saying to myself: well they started it! I should have had compassion and love for them and myself. How can I hear another person if I’m not listening?