Stiff Legged Deadlifts/RDL's work hamstrings?

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Quick question, if your hammies aren't activated, what exactly is getting you standing upright?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Just in case OP says to Google it like always:

Eccentric contractions are currently a very popular area of study for three main reasons: First, much of a muscle's normal activity occurs while it is actively lengthening, so that eccentric contractions are physiologically common (Goslow et al. 1973; Hoffer et al. 1989) Second, muscle injury and soreness are selectively associated with eccentric contraction (Figure 2, Fridén et al. 1984; Evans et al. 1985; Fridén and Lieber, 1992). Finally, muscle strengthening may be greatest using exercises that involve eccentric contractions. Therefore, there are some very fundamental structure-function questions that can be addressed using the eccentric contraction model and eccentric contractions have very important applications therapeutically to strengthen muscle.

http://muscle.ucsd.edu/musIntro/contractions.shtml

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    What do you think it is?

Think about the movement.

There is no contraction in your hamstring through the movement. Your hamstring is being stretched, it's not contracting. Literally the opposite of what a contraction would be.

your hams should be fully activated for this movement. how do you think the bar gets up? its a hamstring and glute movement

17j25wlr247a.jpg
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    What do you think it is?

There is no contraction in your hamstring through the movement. Your hamstring is being stretched, it's not contracting. Literally the opposite of what a contraction would be.
    Dude, if you're an actual "trainer" with an actual "certification" you SHOULD know that ECCENTRIC contraction is a contraction and is more responsible for muscle hypertrophy than a CONCENTRIC contraction. Might want to go brush up on your kinesiology if you actually took the course.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My thoughts exactly....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    What do you think it is?

Dude, if you're an actual "trainer" with an actual "certification" you SHOULD know that ECCENTRIC contraction is a contraction and is more responsible for muscle hypertrophy than a CONCENTRIC contraction. Might want to go brush up on your kinesiology if you actually took the course.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My thoughts exactly....
    He should use this as a humble learning experience. Be a man and come back and admit he was incorrect and say thank you for informing him correctly.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    What do you think it is?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My thoughts exactly....
    He should use this as a humble learning experience. Be a man and come back and admit he was incorrect and say thank you for informing him correctly.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

He should but, based on his history, he won't. He's been proven wrong and schooled multiple times but never comes back and owns it like an adult.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    What do you think it is?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My thoughts exactly....

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

He should but, based on his history, he won't. He's been proven wrong and schooled multiple times but never comes back and owns it like an adult.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, because we posted around the same time.

Zero patience here... People have lives outside of MFP.....
  • mmapags
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Lol, dude I don't need either your patience or your benefit of the doubt. And your video won't prove anything. Reread niner's posts above.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm actually doing RDL's today, probably gonna go 4-5x10 with 315, maybe I shall post a video and have my form critiqued for everyone convinced I am "doing it wrong" because I am arguing it to be a glute exercise rather than a hamstring exercise.

So you started this thread to argue with people who literally had no beef with you and basically agree with you that it's a compound exercise?
    Riiight.

Moving on...
  • Rammer123
    Options
    What do you think it is?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My thoughts exactly....

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I dunno, you swerve questions a lot but go posting in other places. This isn't patience, just observation.

You're trying to maintain that you're correct and have gone from insisting there's no hamstring activation to very little. Which one is it?

To quote you:
    It's a glute exercise

It's okay to learn something. Ninerbuff has provided that information for you. I don't know why you're so resistant to broadening your scope of education and knowledge.

Swerve questions or stop arguing because the conversation is going around in circles?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    What do you think it is?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My thoughts exactly....

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I dunno, you swerve questions a lot but go posting in other places. This isn't patience, just observation.

You're trying to maintain that you're correct and have gone from insisting there's no hamstring activation to very little. Which one is it?

To quote you:
    It's a glute exercise

It's okay to learn something. Ninerbuff has provided that information for you. I don't know why you're so resistant to broadening your scope of education and knowledge.

Swerve questions or stop arguing because the conversation is going around in circles?

Not to derail but there was one discussion where I asked something that had never been discussed. In fact, I posed the scenario 3 or 4 times.
  • Rammer123
    Options
    What do you think it is?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My thoughts exactly....

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

To quote you:
    It's a glute exercise

Not to derail but there was one discussion where I asked something that had never been discussed. In fact, I posed the scenario 3 or 4 times.

Yes I remember, you wanted me to answer the question so that you could try and then make a point that hormones didn't impact how I would respond to someone trying to lose weight. Which has nothing to do with the impact hormones play on your body. Just because a client won't be actively tracking their hormone levels on a frequent basis, doesn't mean that they don't have a huge impact on their body.
  • mmapags
    Options
    What do you think it is?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My thoughts exactly....

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

To quote you:
    It's a glute exercise

Aaaaand, he still dodged it!! :p
  • kmaf2018
    kmaf2018 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Is the stiff legged deadlift where you keep your legs completely straight and hip hinge?

P.s I feel RDL's in my hamstrings more too!