Stiff Legged Deadlifts/RDL's work hamstrings?

Options

Replies

• fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I stand by my statement that it is a glute dominant exercise, followed by low back and hamstring. You get significantly more hamstring activation through a glute bridge, hip thrust when your torso is in a stationary position and your heels are dug in.

If it's not a hamstring exercise.. then please explain why my hamstrings are screaming at me, but my glutes and lower back are like Meh...that was nothing. (yes, just did them yesterday)

Funny enough.. I did glute bridges today and they didn't even bother my hamstrings, which were already sore from my RDLs the day before.

I guess my body is smarter then you.

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    What do you think it is?

Think about the movement.

There is no contraction in your hamstring through the movement. Your hamstring is being stretched, it's not contracting. Literally the opposite of what a contraction would be.
    Dude, if you're an actual "trainer" with an actual "certification" you SHOULD know that ECCENTRIC contraction is a contraction and is more responsible for muscle hypertrophy than a CONCENTRIC contraction. Might want to go brush up on your kinesiology if you actually took the course.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

My thoughts exactly....
    He should use this as a humble learning experience. Be a man and come back and admit he was incorrect and say thank you for informing him correctly.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

He should but, based on his history, he won't. He's been proven wrong and schooled multiple times but never comes back and owns it like an adult.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, because we posted around the same time.

Zero patience here... People have lives outside of MFP.....

I dunno, you swerve questions a lot but go posting in other places. This isn't patience, just observation.

You're trying to maintain that you're correct and have gone from insisting there's no hamstring activation to very little. Which one is it?

To quote you:
    It's a glute exercise

It's okay to learn something. Ninerbuff has provided that information for you. I don't know why you're so resistant to broadening your scope of education and knowledge.

Swerve questions or stop arguing because the conversation is going around in circles?

Not to derail but there was one discussion where I asked something that had never been discussed. In fact, I posed the scenario 3 or 4 times.

Yes I remember, you wanted me to answer the question so that you could try and then make a point that hormones didn't impact how I would respond to someone trying to lose weight. Which has nothing to do with the impact hormones play on your body. Just because a client won't be actively tracking their hormone levels on a frequent basis, doesn't mean that they don't have a huge impact on their body.
    Again, majoring in the minors. But it still points back to the fact that you ELUDE questions you really can't answer concisely. You're making it obvious that your knowledge in the field of physiology and kinesiology is pretty limited to just what you likely learned in the gym and not from actual study or education.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I don't feel the need to put my credentials as a signature in ever post I make, does that mean they don't exist?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Do you think the squat is a hamstring exercise?

This study I shared earlier says that SLDL has greater hamstring activation than squats do, but nearly identical activation as lying leg curls. It's from 2015 and from some really big names in exercise science.

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Citation/2015/01000/Regional_Differences_in_Muscle_Activation_During.20.aspx
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    What do you think it is?

There is no contraction in your hamstring through the movement. Your hamstring is being stretched, it's not contracting. Literally the opposite of what a contraction would be.
    Dude, if you're an actual "trainer" with an actual "certification" you SHOULD know that ECCENTRIC contraction is a contraction and is more responsible for muscle hypertrophy than a CONCENTRIC contraction. Might want to go brush up on your kinesiology if you actually took the course.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My thoughts exactly....
    He should use this as a humble learning experience. Be a man and come back and admit he was incorrect and say thank you for informing him correctly.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

He should but, based on his history, he won't. He's been proven wrong and schooled multiple times but never comes back and owns it like an adult.

I dunno, you swerve questions a lot but go posting in other places. This isn't patience, just observation.

You're trying to maintain that you're correct and have gone from insisting there's no hamstring activation to very little. Which one is it?

To quote you:
    It's a glute exercise

It's okay to learn something. Ninerbuff has provided that information for you. I don't know why you're so resistant to broadening your scope of education and knowledge.

Swerve questions or stop arguing because the conversation is going around in circles?

Not to derail but there was one discussion where I asked something that had never been discussed. In fact, I posed the scenario 3 or 4 times.

Yes I remember, you wanted me to answer the question so that you could try and then make a point that hormones didn't impact how I would respond to someone trying to lose weight. Which has nothing to do with the impact hormones play on your body. Just because a client won't be actively tracking their hormone levels on a frequent basis, doesn't mean that they don't have a huge impact on their body.
    Again, majoring in the minors. But it still points back to the fact that you ELUDE questions you really can't answer concisely. You're making it obvious that your knowledge in the field of physiology and kinesiology is pretty limited to just what you likely learned in the gym and not from actual study or education.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I don't feel the need to put my credentials as a signature in ever post I make, does that mean they don't exist?

Dude, you are laughable and never seem to address the fundamental issue that you don't really know what you are talking about and say dumb things regularly while never addressing the legitimate concerns raised by your posts. You have developed quite the reputation! Once again, you don't address the questions directly but deflect and avoid, A joke!

Appreciate your input
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    What do you think it is?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My thoughts exactly....

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

To quote you:
    It's a glute exercise

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Let's put it this way: you'd be better off not mentioning that you actually have any. At least that way, no one will take you seriously.

BTW, more eluding the point again as usual. Still can't be a man and admit you were incorrect on your statement of non contraction of the hamstrings? It's a yes or no question.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Does a back-peddling bicycle work your hamstrings?

Asking for a friend.

Only if clipped in and pulling really hard on the pedals.

This is a freewheel style with gears talking about right, not a fixed - which wouldn't apply.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Did them yesterday. Hammies hurt today. So, Imma believer...
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I remember taking a break from lifting due to a bad flare of my PsA and easing back into it with Strong Curves bodyweight routine. You do RDLs with a stick in that. I still remember the hamstring DOMS even without any load from doing them. They're activated just from body mechanics and proper form.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    KMAF00 wrote: »
    Is the stiff legged deadlift where you keep your legs completely straight and hip hinge?

P.s I feel RDL's in my hamstrings more too!

Knees are SLIGHTLY bent, but yeah.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I remember taking a break from lifting due to a bad flare of my PsA and easing back into it with Strong Curves bodyweight routine. You do RDLs with a stick in that. I still remember the hamstring DOMS even without any load from doing them. They're activated just from body mechanics and proper form.

The lowering myself onto the toilet whilst gripping the sink after too long off from squats and deads struggle is real.

that struggle is real! hover . . . hover . . . hover . . . DROP!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

The lowering myself onto the toilet whilst gripping the sink after too long off from squats and deads struggle is real.

that struggle is real! hover . . . hover . . . hover . . . DROP!

...and then you're stuck there until you build up the courage to get up, knowing full well you'll just have to go through it all again later.

:s