Open Diaries vs Closed Diaries

Options
123457»

Replies

• RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yeah I just leave my open so if I ever ask questions, people can see what I'm eating and I also find it interesting to look at other people's
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My diary is public. I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic who eats 4 meals/day with each meal separated by 3 hours (when possible) and in addition to logging (since May 22nd) food items, I log my meal times, what I drink, what diabetes meds (including meal-time insulin dosages with each meal) I take & when I take them and my blood sugar readings with each meal along with morning fasting and bedtime blood sugar measurements & various notes for each day relating to my appetite at each meal. This is done daily to help me keep my type2 diabetes in check and to also help me keep my binge eating disorder under control (my last binge was on May 7th). I figure there might be other type2 diabetics or people with binge eating issues (or both, like me) that may benefit from what has been working well for me (as of today, I've lost 75 lbs since 1/1/2017).
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I don't really know if mine is open also idgaf either way.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    nokanjaijo wrote: »
    I don't really know if mine is open also idgaf either way.

it's open
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I'm closing my diary. Too much judgy nonsense.

I do have days of 1000 calorie burns as per my Fitbit and even though I've posted screenshots of that data I was accused of lying. I've been accused of fudging numbers on seasoning even though I go by MFP, the label, and the manufacturer website. Hey if 3 sources said it's 0 calories, it's 0 calories! This jerk was deleted.

Now I have someone questioning why I use creamer every night. I'll log the creamer, but I won't log the tea bag and hot water that went with it. They're about to go.

And the diary is about to close.

Why not just delete the people?

This, for 1, but 2. I'd be suspicious of a 1000 calorie fitbit adjustment.

Being suspicious of the adjustment produced by the tracker is really different than accusing the owner of the tracker of lying about their burn. I cut my steps calories down because I think they're over-reported. But it syncs what it syncs--I'm not editing up the entries somehow to make it look like I have this hyper-burn.

I deleted my "Diary Police."

same. sadly i think the more steps you take the more it overestimates too... so it looks really bad lol

Try playing with the stride length, age, and height on the fitbit app. I was able to fine-tune what the tracker gives me based on my loss to a very good accuracy and now I can safely eat 100% of my calories and get results that reasonably match my theoretical weight loss goal.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

I do have days of 1000 calorie burns as per my Fitbit and even though I've posted screenshots of that data I was accused of lying. I've been accused of fudging numbers on seasoning even though I go by MFP, the label, and the manufacturer website. Hey if 3 sources said it's 0 calories, it's 0 calories! This jerk was deleted.

Now I have someone questioning why I use creamer every night. I'll log the creamer, but I won't log the tea bag and hot water that went with it. They're about to go.

It depends on your settings. If you're active but have yourself set to sedentary on both here and Fitbit, it's not that hard to get depending on your weight.

I have to be on my feet and walking a lot all day to do it now that I'm lighter (and that's after a morning long run), but when I was heavier, it wasn't that rare.

I have my settings on sedentary because my job is sedentary. But I do my hour of regular exercise in the morning, 45 to 60 min of stress relief cardio after work. And I walk my errands and volunteer work so 20,000 step days on top of all that does come up to a high burn.

Yup. I have no trouble believing your burn.

I have mine on sedentary because I go to bed early and having it on a higher activity setting would result in a negative night time adjustment for me. I don't like that.

I got a 900 calorie adjustment yesterday for 24000 steps. I usually get over 20K steps, and my adjustment varies depending on the intensity of them.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

Being suspicious of the adjustment produced by the tracker is really different than accusing the owner of the tracker of lying about their burn. I cut my steps calories down because I think they're over-reported. But it syncs what it syncs--I'm not editing up the entries somehow to make it look like I have this hyper-burn.

I deleted my "Diary Police."

same. sadly i think the more steps you take the more it overestimates too... so it looks really bad lol

Try playing with the stride length, age, and height on the fitbit app. I was able to fine-tune what the tracker gives me based on my loss to a very good accuracy and now I can safely eat 100% of my calories and get results that reasonably match my theoretical weight loss goal.

This is exactly what I did.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to the people I have friended here. If someone has friended me and they do not open their diary to friends I eventually unfriend them. My reasoning behind these two choices is that I believe if you have chosen to set up a support network of friends your information should be open to them. That may be getting an idea for something new to eat or catching heck for consistently going over calories (support is not always touchy feely). If you want feedback you have to provide the information. If you don't want it it doesn't matter if it is closed.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends only. I don't think other people seeing my intake contributes nor detracts from my success. The only person my logging matters for is me. I don't whine if I gain a pound after an evening out or after Thursday snack night. I'm accountable to me, and only me.

I actually have removed friends for being overly critical of my intake. I just don't have any interest in justifying eating one homemade pumpkin oatmeal cookie to a random person on the internet. That doesn't work for my process.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What i don't get is why people post their completed diary on the newsfeed but have it set to private. How am i supposed to "like" or comment on a diary that I cant see....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Lots of people seem to think they have to close to have it be counted, many probably see closing it as a sign to themselves they will not eat anymore that day. The default is to post it -- if you can make it stop I'm not sure how (my first priority would be to make it stop telling me who everyone friended).

I don't currently use the diary myself and when I do I usually don't close it, just my thoughts on why that happens.

Personally, I sometimes like that someone completed their diary, since I assume that means they are logging, which I think is a positive. I never read anyone's diary from my feed unless someone else comments about something sounding delicious and then I might peek.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    What i don't get is why people post their completed diary on the newsfeed but have it set to private. How am i supposed to "like" or comment on a diary that I cant see....

Because you have to go into settings to turn off the fact that it posts when you close it, and a lot of people don't know that's even a possibility? I thought you'd have been around long enough to know that.
  • MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Mine was open until I got unsolicited advice, even though I was doing fine (omg I wasn't measuring in GRAMS!)

Also I drink a lot of beer and you guys probably don't need to know that.