Fasting never okay?

Options
I fully understand that my body 'detoxs' itself, I understand that not eating for 40 days and losing 40 pounds will only have me gaining 60 pounds in the month following, I understand how stupid fasting can be and that it can be dangerous..I know that posting on here about fasting will get you 100 memes about stupidity...

Yet, I always go back to the idea that I would like to try my hand at it. Not long term 3-10 days. NOT because I think it will "jumpstart" my weightloss or clean my liver. I feel like it would have to however help with cravings. My biggest issue admittedly is not knowing the difference between boredom and hunger.

Is fasting for a relatively short amount of time with no expectation of weightloss or detox still crazy?

I am talking water fasting but I suppose the question could be asked for juicing as well.

Replies

• fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550
    Options
    i fast all day and just eat at night every day. but never longer than that.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Short fasts are fine, just don't expect them to lead to sustainable weight loss and it's no problem. Intermittent fasting is helpful to a lot of people because it helps them manage their food intake. It's all about personal preference.
  • SteviMcEwan
    Options
    I wouldn't fast Hun. You tend to find that if you do your body just stores what you do eat when you start eating again as fat. (speaking from experience that is - you may be luckier than me :D). I have found since starting on here that I am like you, i feel bored and therefore think i am hungry. Try having some water (or even diluting juice) and leave it for half an hour. If you are still hungry then you are genuinely hungry. Sometimes your body also confuses thirst for hunger.
    I dunno if this helps at all. Good luck honey. You know where I am if you need me xx
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    If you're set on fasting, I would probably look into 5:2 intermittent fasting or something similar. 10 days is a long time to not eat.
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't do it at all. Ever. It slows your metabolism and can lead to short and long-term damage.

I used to get horror cravings for my old favourites (sugary foods; starchy, empty carbs; soft drink; caffeine etc) if I didn't eat enough of the other stuff (protein, lower GI carbs and fat), or get enough sleep. Sometimes if I'm tired, or haven't eaten regularly I still get them, though it's rarer now. It takes a long time to get through it, but keep pushing through and your cravings will subside, provided you are filling your body with nutrient-dense food. My 'treats' or 'cravings' now consist of things like Quest bars (a protein bar that tastes so completely naughty but is as clean as can be! If you have a sweet tooth, and struggle with those cravings, look them up) sweet potato fries, popcorn and other things like that.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't do it at all. Ever. It slows your metabolism and can lead to short and long-term damage.

I used to get horror cravings for my old favourites (sugary foods; starchy, empty carbs; soft drink; caffeine etc) if I didn't eat enough of the other stuff (protein, lower GI carbs and fat), or get enough sleep. Sometimes if I'm tired, or haven't eaten regularly I still get them, though it's rarer now. It takes a long time to get through it, but keep pushing through and your cravings will subside, provided you are filling your body with nutrient-dense food. My 'treats' or 'cravings' now consist of things like Quest bars (a protein bar that tastes so completely naughty but is as clean as can be! If you have a sweet tooth, and struggle with those cravings, look them up) sweet potato fries, popcorn and other things like that.

That's a vague statement. It takes at a MINIMUM 3 days of zero calorie intake for your metabolism to slow, before this time, your metabolism can actually speed up. If you are healthy, any fast no longer than 10 days is not going do cause any type of damage to your body. Please stop trying to scare people...
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Humm, feeling conflicted. I am not worried about my metabolism slowing down, I know that while starvation mode is real, it is not quick and sudden like people hear lead you to believe. I already do IF naturally, I work 12 hour shifts and I've never lifed eating when I wake up so I eat 5 hours into my workday for about 6 hours and then the rest of the night I'm full then I sleep and it ends up 18/6 naturally, but I did that before I was losing weight so my body is used to it
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I fast all the time. I've always done it, not necessarily because I'm trying to lose weight, but sometimes that is why. I just feel better when I go without food for a while.

Right now I practice IF 16/8 or 18/6, meaning I don't eat anything for 18 hours and get all my calories over 6 hours a day.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options

I hate to break it to you, but protein bars are not "clean as can be." It is still highly processed chemical food replacement, and should not be eaten regularly. I use them on occassion, but they don't leave me feeling great. I prefer a dried fruit and nut trail mix if possible. Sometimes I just need the convenience of a protein bar, but I'm well aware that they are not natural foods.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Try fasting for one day - if the idea of fasting appeals to you.

I've done a modified fast (500 cals) every other day since January and in my experience, there are some benefits.

Not the crazy detox ideas or anything like that and I'm not sure that it would usefully "jump start" a diet in any way.

But, I've found that enforcing short periods of fasting has helped me know that I do, absolutely, control my hunger and my eating. And this knowledge has been quite useful for me.
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Fasting is great! It does help me crave more healthy food and less junk food on non-fasting days, and I feel great on fasting days. There are some 5:2 groups here on MFP and with that approach, you are always only one day away from eating a normal amount of calories. I haven't ended up binging on non-fasting days either because I am full faster, although I did eat some high calorie foods at some parties recently but didn't worry about it because I was still in a good calorie range for the week. Read up about it, join the groups here, and try it! :)
  • SteviMcEwan
    Options
    I think she meant that for a naughty treat they are cleaner than a chocolate bar or packet of crisps or something. Though to be honest I don't really understand what "clean" eating is. I don't deprive myself of anything at all. If i want it I will have ot as long as it fits into my calorie count for the day i don't see it as a problem. But that's just my personal habit I know everyone is different and has different things that work for them. I am relatively new to MFP and amy sort of eating / exercise plan so my eating habits will probably change. Least I hope so.
    :) x
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options

I hate to break it to you, but protein bars are not "clean as can be." It is still highly processed chemical food replacement, and should not be eaten regularly. I use them on occassion, but they don't leave me feeling great. I prefer a dried fruit and nut trail mix if possible. Sometimes I just need the convenience of a protein bar, but I'm well aware that they are not natural foods.

Cleaner than a chocolate bar, which is full of sugar. Which is what I meant, sorry I am not doing well with the written communication at the moment! I am also well-aware they are not meant to be eaten regularly, hence the definition of 'treat'.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I think fasting can be very good for you. I just watched a movie about eating lower calorie and how it can cause you to live longer. He also talked about the health benefits of intermittent fasting. I have heard that from other sources as well, so I think there are benefits to fasting and/or eating lower calorie than we typically eat. There are spiritual reasons to fast, too. Jesus said that his followers would fast. Too much would be bad but fasting in moderation can be very good for you physically and spiritually.
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Fasting for as few as 12 hours may reduce your metabolism by as much as 42%.

If you think that gets you closer to your health goals, by all means, go for it.

Personally, I do everything I can to increase my metabolism, not reduce it. So this is an ABSOLUTE no-no for me.

In my opinion, I would advise against it.

-David / BootJockey
    -257 pounds
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Fasting for as few as 12 hours may reduce your metabolism by as much as 42%.

Do you have a source for that?

That seems like self-evident nonsense IMO.

Everyone fasts for 12+ hours: Eat dinner at 6pm, eat breakfast some time after 6am...
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    *I* wouldn't, and I know that there are those who swear by the IF concept but I wouldn't want to follow that, but if you want to give it a try, then why not try it for a day or two and see how you feel?
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My old chiropractor used to have me do a 3-day fast for my liver. Eating nothing for 3 days and drinking nothing but water and apple juice. Of course, if you eat healthier and limit the fatty foods and alcohol in your diet, you won't need to do this kind of fast. I wouldn't recommend it, but 3 days without food isn't going to hurt. You'll just be damn hungry.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If you want to read about the science for yourself rather than rely on those resolutely for or against fasting google Dr Michael Moseley.

He did a BBC programme on fasting, he was sceptical when he started. He looked at true fasting and modified fasting and was shocked at the results he found - and experienced for himself. He then went ahead and wrote the 5:2 book, complete with science references.

I will say up front that I went the JUDDD route myself, so I am biased. But JUDDD in google will get you more science and another version of fasting.