Fasting never okay?

Options

Replies

• tamadrummer001
    tamadrummer001 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Simply research Intermittent Fasting!

You will watch the fat melt off your body while you are only fasting for 10-15 hours per day depending on your schedule. I do a 14 hour fast and get my meals in, in 10 hours.

A big part of the fat melting off your body will involve cardiovascular exercises basically you do your workout in a fasted state,

Just do a bit a research, there is nothing wrong with fasting as long as it is done properly but fasting alone will not fix the world. good "clean" diet that is low in carbs and high in protein and lots of green leafy veg you will be on your way.

I follow Michi's ladder for my menu.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Why not do something healthier like a challenge to eat nothing but meat, fruit, and veggies for 3-10 days? That way you can get your complete break from whatever it is you're craving, but you'll still get a good amount of protein and nutrition.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I think everything should be done in moderation. Fasting is not moderate. A person can go for awhile without food. But it's dangerous and there's no clinical evidence that it detoxes the body. On the other hand, sweating does detox the body. It gets rid of metals like lead and other bad things from the body. So just do some heavy exercise, sweat a lot and enjoy your food.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Why not do something healthier like a challenge to eat nothing but meat, fruit, and veggies for 3-10 days? That way you can get your complete break from whatever it is you're craving, but you'll still get a good amount of protein and nutrition.

This.

Serious question: If you want to stop cravings, I'm assuming it's because you think you lack willpower. If you have the willpower to fast for 3 to 10 days, why can't you use that same drive or motivation to just avoid what it is you want to avoid?

I have pretty excellent willpower. I can eat one potato chip. I can have chocolate or ice cream or pie or cake in the house and not eat it if it won't fit my calorie goal. But if I tried fasting for days, I'd probably wake up with my face in the cat dish, chomping on kibble.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I feel like it would have to however help with cravings. My biggest issue admittedly is not knowing the difference between boredom and hunger.

fasting for a relatively short amount of time with no expectation of weightloss or detox

I pulled out the two pieces of your post which are the EXACT reason I do intermittent fasting. I fast for at least 16 hours per day and eat as many as 8 hours per day. It has absolutely helped me control cravings, binges, eating out of boredom, etc. If you feel it like it might be right for you give it a try. Also just to point out (not saying you would do this, but just for the record) intermittent fasting IS NOT a reason to eat a VLCD, I still eat on average 1800-2000 calories daily.
  • MQ1992
    MQ1992 Posts: 7
    Options
    hello i'm new here and your post was the first one i saw
    I am a Muslim and its the holy month here (Ramadan) where we fast from sunrise to sunset, no water no nothing. The first three days were tiring especially that where i live the weather is extremely hot, however now i don't even want to eat after sunrise, i force myself ! and when i do eat its little because my body got used to it. Most people i know are taking advantage of this month to lose weight and stay healthy and there are lots of health benefits to it.
    one more thing, it is not dangerous unless you over do it ! where i live its for about 15 hours, for some people its 17 ! moderation is key
  • ShrinkingMuslimah
    ShrinkingMuslimah Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't know too much about the science of it, but I fast for 30 days every year for the month of Ramadan.

Here's what I've noticed: I loose a bit of weight, but not much more than when I'm watching my calories outside of Ramadan. I do not gain weight after the month is over by gorging on food. I tend to make healthier choices and take smaller portions once the fasting month is over, because I'm not used to eating as much so I don't feel like I *need* larger portions.

Keep in mind, this is a spiritual fast as well as a physical fast, food is not the only thing we abstain from during Ramadan.

Also, different people fast differently during Ramadan, some people eat so much when breaking fast that they can barely stand, this is not what the Religion teaches, but many people do it anyways. This is why we hear a lot in our communities about how people gain weight during the month, it's because they fast all day and feast all night. This defeats the purpose.

These are just some of my experiences, but every body is different, and some people are physically unable to fast like those with illnesses like diabetes, or those who need to be taking medication at specific times during the day (These people are excused from fasting during Ramadan).

What I experience during fasting may be completely different from what the person next to me experiences, so my suggestion would be try it for a day or two and see how you feel. If you're getting dizzy and feel sick, then better break your fast, however if you find benefit in it, then great. Just listen to your body, and be safe when trying this sort of thing.

This is really insightful. Thank you for sharing.

My pleasure! :flowerforyou:
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't do it at all. Ever. It slows your metabolism and can lead to short and long-term damage.

I used to get horror cravings for my old favourites (sugary foods; starchy, empty carbs; soft drink; caffeine etc) if I didn't eat enough of the other stuff (protein, lower GI carbs and fat), or get enough sleep. Sometimes if I'm tired, or haven't eaten regularly I still get them, though it's rarer now. It takes a long time to get through it, but keep pushing through and your cravings will subside, provided you are filling your body with nutrient-dense food. My 'treats' or 'cravings' now consist of things like Quest bars (a protein bar that tastes so completely naughty but is as clean as can be! If you have a sweet tooth, and struggle with those cravings, look them up) sweet potato fries, popcorn and other things like that.

That's a vague statement. It takes at a MINIMUM 3 days of zero calorie intake for your metabolism to slow, before this time, your metabolism can actually speed up. If you are healthy, any fast no longer than 10 days is not going do cause any type of damage to your body. Please stop trying to scare people...

Goodness, I wasn't aware that what I wrote was so terrifying. I humbly apologise for making vague and scary statements *rolls eyes* I'm just going on what I know, have seen and have read about fasting. I personally don't think it's a great way to achieve ANY health/fitness goals, and find that eating regularly and not skipping food/meals has helped me achieve mine.
    the scary part is that your advice is dead wrong...

Plenty of people do IF and are absolutely shredded and have zero health issues...

I was talking about longer term (3-10 day) fasts, which is what the OP initially was talking about and what I based my response on. I don't hate the idea of IF (especially the 5:2 one, where you eat, but you just don't eat HEAPS). It's not for me, but I've seen it work and if that's what works for you, great. But I don't think it's the best way to reduce cravings, which is also what the OP was talking about.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    Juicing is not just sugar and carbs - not if you are doing it right anyway.

I juice breakfast and lunch just about every day - I invested in a juicer so this is juice I make not store bought stuff. I juice mainly vegetables - kale, carrots, tomatoes, cabbage, etc and add an apple and a slice of lemon to sweeten it up. My homemade juice is packed full of vitamins and minerals and no processed sugar or other additives.

I eat a small meal for dinner and most days I have a snack sometime before dinner.

I try to not have anything to eat after 7pm.

This "modified" juice fast, is what is working for me. I have more energy, I sleep great at night, my body doesn't have the aches and pains it had before I started all this and I average about 3 pounds a week weight loss. (I've been doing this since March).

I agree with most of what was posted here about intermittent fasting - it might work for you or it might not. There are lots of ways to lose weight, it's a matter of finding a plan that works for you.

dont you think that the weight loss is due more to the caloric deficit that you are creating by eating so few calories, rather than the juicing?

You could achieve the same with a few small meals a day and same calorie intake as while juicing...

Calorie deficit has never really worked for me - I'd lose a couple of pounds and gain back double.

This time around with the juicing and clean eating - for me its working.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

This.

Serious question: If you want to stop cravings, I'm assuming it's because you think you lack willpower. If you have the willpower to fast for 3 to 10 days, why can't you use that same drive or motivation to just avoid what it is you want to avoid?

I have pretty excellent willpower. I can eat one potato chip. I can have chocolate or ice cream or pie or cake in the house and not eat it if it won't fit my calorie goal. But if I tried fasting for days, I'd probably wake up with my face in the cat dish, chomping on kibble.

I was reading this really sad thread on another forum by a woman doing a 60 day water fast. One of the quotes from it was "it's easier to just not eat than it is to eat right." :frown:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Juicing is not just sugar and carbs - not if you are doing it right anyway.

I juice breakfast and lunch just about every day - I invested in a juicer so this is juice I make not store bought stuff. I juice mainly vegetables - kale, carrots, tomatoes, cabbage, etc and add an apple and a slice of lemon to sweeten it up. My homemade juice is packed full of vitamins and minerals and no processed sugar or other additives.

I eat a small meal for dinner and most days I have a snack sometime before dinner.

I try to not have anything to eat after 7pm.

This "modified" juice fast, is what is working for me. I have more energy, I sleep great at night, my body doesn't have the aches and pains it had before I started all this and I average about 3 pounds a week weight loss. (I've been doing this since March).

I agree with most of what was posted here about intermittent fasting - it might work for you or it might not. There are lots of ways to lose weight, it's a matter of finding a plan that works for you.

dont you think that the weight loss is due more to the caloric deficit that you are creating by eating so few calories, rather than the juicing?

You could achieve the same with a few small meals a day and same calorie intake as while juicing...

Calorie deficit has never really worked for me - I'd lose a couple of pounds and gain back double.

This time around with the juicing and clean eating - for me its working.

how do you think you are losing weight now?? calorie deficit created by juicing....

so you are saying that when you eat less you gain? So you somehow defy the laws of mathematics and thermodynamics...????
  • EveryCalCounts
    Options
    I fast sometimes. I try to do a 24 hour fast once a week. I've lost about 20 pounds since January. But you really have to be careful. If you feel lightheaded, EAT SOMETHING SMALL. But, from my experience, 24 hour fasts are fine. Even 48 hours, if you have a small breakfast the second day (Like, an egg or banana) BUT MAKE SURE YOU DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!!
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    For me it's more about what I'm eating than calorie deficit alone.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

but what do you think is causing the weight loss??
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

This.

"Probably"?

As in you have never tried but feel you can comment anyway?

I've been fasting 16-20 hours a day since Late January 2013. One of the most remarkable and unexpected changes has been a new ability to eat what I want to eat, no more and no less. I can even have bliss point triggering combinations of salt, fat, and sugar without going overboard

When is it hardest to control? When I've been in a fed state for a longer than normal time.

You see, the nice thing about empiricism is that your concepts are based on actual evidence.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

This.

"Probably"?

I've been fasting 16-20 hours a day since Late January 2013. One of the most remarkable and unexpected changes has been a new ability to eat what I want to eat, no more and no less. I can even have bliss point triggering combinations of salt, fat, and sugar without going overboard

When is it hardest to control? When I've been in a fed state for a longer than normal time.

You see, the nice thing about empiricism is that your concepts are based on actual evidence.

But what you're talking about is intermittent fasting, where you're still eating within your window, right?

She's talking about fasting for days on end, like what the OP is considering.
  • pcastagner
    Options

If juicing helps you then juice.

You are just proving there is nothing wrong with sugar.

Intermittent fasting helps me control my intake in many ways. For one, I reduce the number of opportunities to fail at choosing my food properly. So I have leftover willpower for exercise. I also get to feel absolutely, completely sated at least once a day, again, limiting the drain on my willpower.

But perhaps the most notable difference is how I can once again allow myself to enjoy the pleasures of eating all kinds of yummy things. As a total foodie, this is no small matter. Eating is to me not just about fuel. It is high art.
  • pcastagner
    Options

This.

"Probably"?

But what you're talking about is intermittent fasting, where you're still eating within your window, right?

My bad.

Must be the IF affecting my reading comprehension ;)
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I genuinely used to find not eating at ALL much much easier than dieting. And I say that whole heartedly.

If I " dieted " I would have stomach cramps and be awake all night thinking about food. The hunger was painful. If I simply didnt eat, the hunger pains went away after 4 days and hunger was normality. Not noticeable after a while.

I lost 3 stone in 2 months and looked fantastic!!

However my hair fell out and I had next to no muscle left. Sure I was 6 stone but I was very wobbly. Despite seeing bones the skin that DID move when I walked jiggled. A lot.

I also put on that 3 stone and then some in less than 2 months.

Thats my story with fasting. I know you only want to do it for 10 days or so, but Ive done that too. 3-10 days, lost nearly a stone and ate SMALL amounts and gained it back. Its mostly water weight for the first stone any way!

Learn to eat in smaller amounts and your body will adjust to the hunger. Mines has!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

This.

"Probably"?

My bad.

Must be the IF affecting my reading comprehension ;)

:laugh:

:flowerforyou: