Fasting never okay?

Options

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump.... I wish someone would teach me to do gifs.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    fer her durrr get it!
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in fasting then look up 5:2 fast diet. It involves eating pretty much what you want (within reason) for five days a week and restricting your calories to 500 (so it's not a complete fast)on two (non consecutive) days per week. I have been doing it for months and experiencing steady weightloss and feeling generally better in myself. Also, for five days a week there is no 'on a diet' feelings and you can have your treats guilt free. I am only sorry I never found this way of eating before. I discovered it after seeing a documentary called 'Eat, Fast and Live Longer' which is really interesting and well worth watching if you are interested in doing this. I intend to be an intermittent faster for the rest of my life- some weeks I will fast for 2 days and others only 1. For me being able to relax for five days and never have to feel like I have 'gone over' my calories just because I have a big dinner out or some sweet treats on a day where I haven't been 'saving up' calories for that special occasion is a great feeling. Oh and please don't believe anyone that tells you that your body will 'store fat' after a short period of fasting. That is a complete myth and very misleading. You may or may not enjoy intermittent fasting- it's a personal thing but don't be put off by people who have never done it telling you what it's like.:wink: Whatever you decide- good luck! :smile: EDITED TO CORRECT NUMBER OF DAYS I FAST. :wink:
  • SteviMcEwan
    Options
    If you want to read about the science for yourself rather than rely on those resolutely for or against fasting google Dr Michael Moseley.

He did a BBC programme on fasting, he was sceptical when he started. He looked at true fasting and modified fasting and was shocked at the results he found - and experienced for himself. He then went ahead and wrote the 5:2 book, complete with science references.

I watched that. It was really interesting. I still wouldn't do it but I am all for supporting anybody who wants to :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Fasting for as few as 12 hours may reduce your metabolism by as much as 42%.

Do you have a source for that?

That seems like self-evident nonsense IMO.

Everyone fasts for 12+ hours: Eat dinner at 6pm, eat breakfast some time after 6am...

Yep - I would like to see that as well as it's not correct.
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    There is fasting and intermittent 5:2, which is a completely different concept.

I have been on the 5:2 IF diet since March 2013 and I can honestly say it is the ONLY diet plan that has ever worked for me (I am 63 years old and have tried a lot! Read Dr Michael Mosley's book. 5:2 dieting has took off in the UK big time, everyone you speak to and all the newspapers and magazines are talking about it.

It works and it fits into your life as after your low day 500 cals for women and 600 cals for men, you then eat normally (albeit carefully) the next day, so it never feels as if you are dieting and you don't think about food all the time.

Health benefits include lowering of blood pressure (just had mine taken last week and lowest for years) and improved cholesterol readings.
  • TeresaB1979
    Options

Do you have a source for that?

That seems like self-evident nonsense IMO.

Everyone fasts for 12+ hours: Eat dinner at 6pm, eat breakfast some time after 6am...

Yep - I would like to see that as well as it's not correct.

Source please?
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Eat, Fast and Live Longer is the Dr Moseley programme.

He did a really good job and people tend to think he 'invented' fasting - not a claim he would make and the programme show him talking to researchers who have looked at specific aspects of fasting - mainly in the US and some of their findings are just incredible.

If you can find a youtube or other site to see it on, I know it was blocked in the US but has probably leaked 'out there' by now, it is a really interesting programme.

But as I said, I am biased. It affirmed the decision I had made and meant that people who had continually expressed deep and meaningful concern for my mental health started asking me how to start IFing :)
  • JoanneAyo
    JoanneAyo Posts: 1
    Options

If you think that gets you closer to your health goals, by all means, go for it.

Personally, I do everything I can to increase my metabolism, not reduce it. So this is an ABSOLUTE no-no for me.

In my opinion, I would advise against it.

-David / BootJockey
    -257 pounds

Nonsense. Would love to see where you get that figure from. From my reading there is a no negative impact from fasting up to 3 days. The reason we store energy (fat) is to allow us to survive short periods of famine after all.

OP - do some research into the various styles to see what appeals to you, I would recommend following one of the protocols that has ben researched and developed rather than make it up yourself:

Leangains
    Eat Stop Eat
    ADF (alternate day fasting)
    5:2
    JUDDD (UpDayDownDayDiet)

I've been following 5:2 fasting routine for a year with nothing but positive outcomes (www.thefastdiet.co.uk). There's two groups on here that are very supportive.
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't do it at all. Ever. It slows your metabolism and can lead to short and long-term damage.

I used to get horror cravings for my old favourites (sugary foods; starchy, empty carbs; soft drink; caffeine etc) if I didn't eat enough of the other stuff (protein, lower GI carbs and fat), or get enough sleep. Sometimes if I'm tired, or haven't eaten regularly I still get them, though it's rarer now. It takes a long time to get through it, but keep pushing through and your cravings will subside, provided you are filling your body with nutrient-dense food. My 'treats' or 'cravings' now consist of things like Quest bars (a protein bar that tastes so completely naughty but is as clean as can be! If you have a sweet tooth, and struggle with those cravings, look them up) sweet potato fries, popcorn and other things like that.

That's a vague statement. It takes at a MINIMUM 3 days of zero calorie intake for your metabolism to slow, before this time, your metabolism can actually speed up. If you are healthy, any fast no longer than 10 days is not going do cause any type of damage to your body. Please stop trying to scare people...

Goodness, I wasn't aware that what I wrote was so terrifying. I humbly apologise for making vague and scary statements *rolls eyes* I'm just going on what I know, have seen and have read about fasting. I personally don't think it's a great way to achieve ANY health/fitness goals, and find that eating regularly and not skipping food/meals has helped me achieve mine.
  • HealthFitNow
    HealthFitNow Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I have fasted on a few occasions for spiritual reasons.

I used Dr. Paavo Airola's books as guidance for a healthy fast. He has written so many.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dr+aerola#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dr+airola+fasting&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Adr+airola+fasting

It's important to proceed with caution and with guidance from someone knowledgeable about nutrition and the body's reactions.

I followed his vegetarian food plan, to detox and cleanse my system. It felt great on one level, but I had reactions. It turned out I was allergic to a couple of key foods and had to stop.
  • TeresaB1979
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't do it at all. Ever. It slows your metabolism and can lead to short and long-term damage.

I used to get horror cravings for my old favourites (sugary foods; starchy, empty carbs; soft drink; caffeine etc) if I didn't eat enough of the other stuff (protein, lower GI carbs and fat), or get enough sleep. Sometimes if I'm tired, or haven't eaten regularly I still get them, though it's rarer now. It takes a long time to get through it, but keep pushing through and your cravings will subside, provided you are filling your body with nutrient-dense food. My 'treats' or 'cravings' now consist of things like Quest bars (a protein bar that tastes so completely naughty but is as clean as can be! If you have a sweet tooth, and struggle with those cravings, look them up) sweet potato fries, popcorn and other things like that.

That's a vague statement. It takes at a MINIMUM 3 days of zero calorie intake for your metabolism to slow, before this time, your metabolism can actually speed up. If you are healthy, any fast no longer than 10 days is not going do cause any type of damage to your body. Please stop trying to scare people...

Goodness, I wasn't aware that what I wrote was so terrifying. I humbly apologise for making vague and scary statements *rolls eyes* I'm just going on what I know, have seen and have read about fasting. I personally don't think it's a great way to achieve ANY health/fitness goals, and find that eating regularly and not skipping food/meals has helped me achieve mine.

Nobody is scared or terrified of what you wrote. When you make an untrue statement and deliver it as a fact to someone who wants to know about a subject you will find that people who actually do know about that subject will question you on your evidence/sources. That's reasonable behaviour. No need to roll your eyes or get defensive. :wink:
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, I think everyone has to do what is right for them, and I don't necessarily believe in one-size fits-all solutions.

So, when I did a Google search a few minutes ago to see if I could find that exact statistic (which I know I did find before), could I find it? No. Thought it is quarter-to-four in the A.M., and I'm a little tired. :-)

That information is consistent with conversations I've had with my nutritionist, my own calorimetry tests, my own experiences, and (I believe) the experiences my wife has had.

I'm a firm believer in a healthy diet, and in eating regular meals, and in NOT fasting. I routinely eat my meals, daily, at 8-9am, 1-2pm, 7-8pm, and almost always, have some sort of light healthy snack in the late evening (11pm or so.) It's very regimented, I know, and requires more pre-planning and more focus than some can or are able to give. It's part of the lifestyle choice I've made that works best for me.

My own calorimetry tests, as done by my nutritionists office (done using a KORR Ree/Vue Indirect Calorimetry device...a promotional YouTube video link is shown below), have been consistant, and showed over multiple tests my metabolic increase. I have this test done annually, in December.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQwBTuAryn4

Compared to a similar person of my gender, age, height and weight, my metabolic rate is 46% higher than average. These numbers are for me, from my last test last December:

Resting Energy Expenditure: 2,851 calories
    Lifestyle & Activities: 855 Calories
    Exercise: 296 Calories

That means for me, my "Weight Maintenance Zone" is 2,851-3,706 calories per day. My weight loss zone is 2,281-2,851 calories per day (1-2lbs per week), and that it is not recommended that I eat less than 2,281 calories per day at all.

The first time I had this test done, I was stalled in my weight loss. I had lost 170 pounds or so (my starting weight was just over 450), and I had lost about 170 pounds or so, with my weight hoving around 270 or so. I had this test done, and found out that my metabolism, according to this test the first time, was about 23% higher than average (for my gender, age, weight and height.) I also found that I was actually under-eating by approximately 800 calories per day.

I know it sounds crazy, but, I followed my nutritionists advice. I added about 500-600 calories per day to my diet, and on days I exercised, I added in about 3/4's, about 75%, of the estimated calories I burned on my workout, back into my diet (on THOSE days). Over the course of the next year, I lost another 50 pounds or so after doing that. I also lost another 20 or so in the months after that year, following the same advice, until I got down to about 207, which is what I had considered my "final goal weight." That's been an excellent weight for me.

I continue to faithfully eat my healthy meals, 3x a day (plus I often have a small healthy snack around 4pm, as well as my small healthy snack at 11pm). I, personally, do not follow the "mini-meals 5 or 6x per day" routine a lot of people do.

My wife, bless her, has lost a lot of weight herself. But she fairly regularly skips meals and her protein intake is comparatively low. She struggles a lot more than I do to keep/maintain or lose weight. She also has had the same metabolism test, on the same piece of equipment I have had it on in my nutritionists office, and her metabolic rate came back at about 25% below average for her gender, age, weight and height.

I'm not saying it works for everyone. I know what works for me, and I do believe that following something similar would work for most, but, everyone has to educate themselves, I think, and find out what works for them.

I'm happy to answer any questions, if I can. I have a Facebook page that I sometimes talk to people on, about stuff like this. If you (or anyone) "Friends" me, and sends me a PM asking for it, I'll share a link to that (but I don't want to put it in the post, I know that's against the rules, and I sometimes forget that...but I remembered it this morning!) :-)

-David / BootJockey
    -257 pounds
  • Bootjockey
    Options
    I wrote in more detail below.

You may, or may not have the same experience. I was very careful to say that, this is what has worked for me.

I'm a firm believe in "Your Mileage May Vary." What works for me, may not work for you and vice versa.

Have a rockin' day!

-David / BootJockey
    -257 pounds
  • Bootjockey
    Options
    I would agree with your statement, at least for me personally.

-David / BootJockey
    -257 pounds
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My husband is actually from India and in their culture (Hinduism) the women fast ALOT!!! Not like everyday, but for example once or twice a year the women wont eat or drink anything at all not even water for 24 hours, now me persoanlly, I'm like f***k that I have to still have at least water! Or they wont eat meat for a week, and don't eat any meat, poultry, or fish on Monday's Tuesday's and Thursdays! Out of respect of my husbands culture I try to go by that at least in the house or not do it in front of him with certain things to eat and drink, because obviously not many people here in USA do it that much. The point is though is that it's not crazy, if that's how you want to control your appetite then try it out here and there. I never thought about how much meat, chicken, and fish I eat until my husband was like oh we can't eat that today at least in the house, I never realized how careless I was and ate so much of it!!! (Which isn't all bad but obviously more veggies is better :)
  • Bootjockey
    Options
    I think, too, there's probably a big difference between true "fasting", and people who just skip meals for the sake of convenience. I know when I was at my heaviest, I didn't "fast", I just didn't eat regular meals. I would skip breakfast and usually lunch, but of course, at dinner-time and throughout the evening, I just went wild with food, and at thousands and thousands of calories. Bad food, to. I obviously way over-ate my calories for the day, every day. Double, triple or more, probably. That's the only way, really, to get to 450lbs or more.

I don't blame that on "fasting" (ie, skipping my meals breakfast/lunch), nor do I think eating breakfast/lunch would have kept me from gaining weight (assuming I maintained my nightly eating habits.)

But I do believe that if I had eaten more often, I would have eaten less overall. I wouldn't have been so hungry at night for dinner and after.

But I don't believe that is a result of "fasting." That was just a very poor lifestyle. For me at least.

-David / BootJockey
    -257 pounds
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean to start a ****storm here sorry folks
  • Bootjockey
    Options
    This sounds like you have a wonderful healthy lifestyle! And a very respectful relationship. :-)

Live long and prosper! (oops, inner-geek just slipped out!)

-David / BootJockey
    -257 pounds
  • Bootjockey
    Options
    I don't think you did that. This conversation comes up a lot on here. You were just the latest one to ask about it.

I believe, ultimately, do what works for you. Talk to your doctor, your nutritionist, if you have one. Do your own research. Try things out. See what WORKS for YOU.

I wish you well!!!

-David / BootJockey
    -257 pounds