124»

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    2DUNNY wrote: »
    kokonani wrote: »
    fjmartini wrote: »
    How's it misinformation? I said to use a 70/25/5 split. Who cares why the diet was created or how the the weight is lost? An abundance of protein without working out is used as glucose; if she's training on it she can modify the diet to help muscle breakdown. I use the diet and all I needed to know was the macro breakdown. It's serves no purpose to tell the origin story of the diet in this thread.

Keto is not just about macros. It's also calorie deficit. If you eat more than your TDEE, you will gain on keto. Especially if she cannot work out due to surgery, her TDEE is not a high number as yourself. I've been on keto and it was hard to keep within 1400 calories for me daily. The fat was not satisfying to me enough and it's very high in calories so it just didn't work. Some people just don't want to eat bacon and eggs everyday..

i do not just eat bacon and eggs. i eat broccoli and nuts and seeds and greens and berries.
    i agree with the p.p.
    my macros are 65F/30P/5C
    doesn't really matter the initial intended purpose of the diet.
    my dr recommended it for my arthritis.
    to each his own. but why bash keto when it does work for some people. we are all just giving advice on our opinions.

I don't recall anyone bashing keto. It's just that that one poster literally has no idea how/why keto works. As such, he was giving out bad - and potentially damaging to one's weightloss efforts - advice.
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Keto can work great for people who are easily satiated by fat. For others (like me) who do not feel full after eating fatty foods, it is not a good fit.

I agree that it's not the only diet to use but she mentioned that she'd be sidelined from a surgery. Keto or carb nite solution is the only diet I know of that a person wouldn't have to overly restrict their calories while still losing weight. It was just a suggestion that works for me.

You have to restrict your calories on a keto diet just like you do on any other diet. Keto does not magically defy the laws of energy balance. It all comes down to CICO regardless of how you choose to divide up your macros or what time you choose to eat them.

The reason why I do keto is so I don't have to think about calories. I eat two 8 oz cheeseburgers with egg and bacon twice a week at least for dinner. Up to 8-10 whole eggs nearly daily and as long as I keep my net carbs between 20-30 grams I'm satisfied. My body fat drops from about 18% to 10% in the shortest time I ever experienced and I was a ephedrine degenerate. I'm going to assume she has a 6-7 month parameter for her weight loss goal because she has an event she's planning for. I can't think of another diet that will help her to continue to lose weight while in recovery from her surgery that will transform her body at the same time like keto or an adjusted form of it. Her response to me was she was concerned about transitioning off of it. I just responded that it's easier than she might think.

You may be losing weight but you are clogging your arteries with cholesterol & saturating your liver in fat. So at what cost to your body are you making these changes. Pre & post op regardless of the surgery it's not a good idea to clog your arteries. Losing weight is a life style change & should be healthy for the body as a whole. With a life style change that high in cholesterol and fats you may be losing weight but you are increasing your chances of a heart attack, stroke &heart disease at a young age

Why would you chime in if you've got no idea what you're talking about?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Keto can work great for people who are easily satiated by fat. For others (like me) who do not feel full after eating fatty foods, it is not a good fit.

I agree that it's not the only diet to use but she mentioned that she'd be sidelined from a surgery. Keto or carb nite solution is the only diet I know of that a person wouldn't have to overly restrict their calories while still losing weight. It was just a suggestion that works for me.

You have to restrict your calories on a keto diet just like you do on any other diet. Keto does not magically defy the laws of energy balance. It all comes down to CICO regardless of how you choose to divide up your macros or what time you choose to eat them.

The reason why I do keto is so I don't have to think about calories. I eat two 8 oz cheeseburgers with egg and bacon twice a week at least for dinner. Up to 8-10 whole eggs nearly daily and as long as I keep my net carbs between 20-30 grams I'm satisfied. My body fat drops from about 18% to 10% in the shortest time I ever experienced and I was a ephedrine degenerate. I'm going to assume she has a 6-7 month parameter for her weight loss goal because she has an event she's planning for. I can't think of another diet that will help her to continue to lose weight while in recovery from her surgery that will transform her body at the same time like keto or an adjusted form of it. Her response to me was she was concerned about transitioning off of it. I just responded that it's easier than she might think.

You may be losing weight but you are clogging your arteries with cholesterol & saturating your liver in fat. So at what cost to your body are you making these changes. Pre & post op regardless of the surgery it's not a good idea to clog your arteries. Losing weight is a life style change & should be healthy for the body as a whole. With a life style change that high in cholesterol and fats you may be losing weight but you are increasing your chances of a heart attack, stroke &heart disease at a young age

Why would you chime in if you've got no idea what you're talking about?

Hmmm . . . .
  • fjmartini
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    How's it misinformation? I said to use a 70/25/5 split. Who cares why the diet was created or how the the weight is lost? An abundance of protein without working out is used as glucose; if she's training on it she can modify the diet to help muscle breakdown. I use the diet and all I needed to know was the macro breakdown. It's serves no purpose to tell the origin story of the diet in this thread.

Keto is not just about macros. It's also calorie deficit. If you eat more than your TDEE, you will gain on keto. Especially if she cannot work out due to surgery, her TDEE is not a high number as yourself. I've been on keto and it was hard to keep within 1400 calories for me daily. The fat was not satisfying to me enough and it's very high in calories so it just didn't work. Some people just don't want to eat bacon and eggs everyday..

i do not just eat bacon and eggs. i eat broccoli and nuts and seeds and greens and berries.
    i agree with the p.p.
    my macros are 65F/30P/5C
    to each his own. but why bash keto when it does work for some people. we are all just giving advice on our opinions.

I don't recall anyone bashing keto. It's just that that one poster literally has no idea how/why keto works. As such, he was giving out bad - and potentially damaging to one's weightloss efforts - advice.

I've been doing the diet for 3+ years. She doesn't need to back story of how the science of it works to benefit from it. I get that the majority of people "correcting" me are doing it to prop up their straw man arguement to feed their need to be concise. You don't need to know thermodynamics to burn a calorie, you just burn them. Sorry I didn't explain the diets origin story for the MFP editing board.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    raziak528 wrote: »
    Hi All! A bit about me: I need to lose 40 lbs preferably in the next 6-7 months however I am having a surgery in a month so I will not be able to exercise for about a month afterward so I may have to re-adjust my cals at that time.

I log everything every single thing that goes in my mouth every day. I work out 3x a week doing HIIT/cardio. MFP gave me a 1200 cal a day but I haven't been losing (for the past month) anything so I just moved my cals to 1400 today (BMR is 1700). Is that a safe assumption? Also I set my macros as such: 31 grams of fat, 123 grams of protein, 158 grams of carbohydrates, would I need to hit all of those macros to see results? Aka should I be getting 123 grams of protein every day or will I still see results if I only get to 95 grams etc for all categories? Any and all advice welcome!

Ignoring the ranty-keto-woo, I'm going to try and share some personal experience of surgery and diet.
    I've been through a number of sets of surgery over the last 20 years, with an increasing awareness of diet and nutrition as time went on. Here's what I learned...

- Be as healthy and as happy and relaxed as you can before surgery. This isn't the time for crash dieting, so make sure your deficit for the next month isn't too big. By all means target some weight loss, but keep your weekly goal sensible. Maybe 1lb a week or something. You don't want your body to be depleted when you go in to hospital. Keep the vitamins and minerals topped up too.

- After surgery, make sure to drink plenty. It can be a nightmare if you're stuck in bed and have to use a bed pan (yup, been there several times), but it helps flush the anaesthetic drugs out of your system more quickly. I normally feel pretty yucky until it's mostly gone. (I can tell when my pee starts smelling normal again. Delightful, I know, but there we go!)

- During surgery, they will normally pump you full of antibiotics, just in case. This can cause digestive issues, as it can kill off your good bacteria as well as any nasties. I've found that taking (good, high quality, not yogurt) probiotics after surgery helps me to avoid stomach issues. Worth a go if you believe in that sort of thing.

- For the first few days to a week after surgery (depending how big it is), eat whatever the heck you want. You might be feeling pretty ropey, or be in pain, so just have whatever your body asks you for, whenever it asks. Watch the portions, and make good choices if you can, but don't deny yourself anything. Rest, relax, and do whatever your doctors tell you that you need to do.

- Once you're feeling a bit more human again (and for me, that's anything from later the same day to about 4 days later depending on how long I was under anaesthetic), focus on a really balanced, nutritious diet. Your body has a lot of hard work to do healing, so make sure you're getting good amounts of protein - 120g ish sounds fine - as well as plenty of vitamins and trace minerals. At this point, going back into a deficit would be fine, and I'd encourage you to try and find your "happy split" between carbs and fat while you're not exercising. It might take a few days of experimenting, but there's no magic formula and everyone's different. If I'm not exercising, I feel much better on higher fat and lower carb, but that's just me. Also keep up with the water, as it can take a long time to get all the drugs flushed out!

- Once you can exercise again, don't forget to up your calories a bit! Your body will still be healing, so again it's probably not going to be a good idea to target too much weight loss. You may also need to re-evaluate your carb/fat split if you're feeling too hungry. I'd leave the protein around 120g, but I'm a bit of a protein-head!

- I'd leave it maybe a month after surgery (unless it was foot/ankle stuff like mine, then probably longer) before you do a re-evaluation and work out your weight loss goal for the next 4-5 months. Although listen to your doctors of course, and if they need you to take it easy for longer, then make sure you do.

And one other thing that other people have already said... If your BMR really is 1,700 then don't eat below it! If that's your TDEE then ok. You may want to look at some TDEE calculators online to see what that number comes out as for you. If you put that you're sedentary, you would need to add back exercise calories or just use what it gives you if you're not exercising.

Good luck with the surgery!
  • fjmartini
    Options

i agree with the p.p.
    my macros are 65F/30P/5C

I've been doing the diet for 3+ years. She doesn't need to back story of how the science of it works to benefit from it. I get that the majority of people "correcting" me are doing it to prop up their straw man arguement to feed their need to be concise. You don't need to know thermodynamics to burn a calorie, you just burn them. Sorry I didn't explain the diets origin story for the MFP editing board.

And you don't need keto to burn a calorie either.

No *kitten*. I mentioned what worked for me. I didn't comment to anyone but her. I understand the need for certain people to be right compels them to be obnoxious so I'm going to end my interactions on this now. You're right I'm wrong.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Does doing keto cause one to become thin skinned and hyper sensitive? :D

I never thought of it, but I believe it does..!
  • pmainard
    pmainard Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It can lower your seritonin levels and affects your hormones, so being sensitive and thin skinned could be attributed to those effects.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

i agree with the p.p.
    my macros are 65F/30P/5C

And you don't need keto to burn a calorie either.

No *kitten*. I mentioned what worked for me. I didn't comment to anyone but her. I understand the need for certain people to be right compels them to be obnoxious so I'm going to end my interactions on this now. You're right I'm wrong.

I'd have to review the entire thread to be certain, but I believe this might be the only thing you've gotten right this whole time.