Girls feeling when they see a six pack abs good looking guy at gym

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    I find this thread odd. While I fully understand why someone having 6 pack abs is not the end all be all....I find it strange that while some are not attracted to it which is fine, that many seem to find it a negative. There are some pretty decent average guys that just happen to be in great shape....

A nicely built midsection is attractive ( to me). A dude with amazing 6 pack is not, not the 6 pack itself, but the effort behind it. While I love a guy in great shape, I don't like guys that "try too hard", and 6 pack all year around to me screams "trying too hard".

Interesting.....it makes me wonder if it goes the other way as well. If one judges someone that is great shape to be "trying too hard", is it safe to say the opposite could be judged about an obese person "not trying hard enough"?

Keep in mind, great shape and six pack all year long is not the same thing. All serious lifters know what it takes to have amazing abs. There's a reason most serious lifters don't keep abs all year long.

I don't think all 6 pack abs are necessarily trying too hard. I know some guys who are just on the slim side and have 6 packs all year around without starving themselves or trying too hard. Sure, they may not be seriously defined all year long, but they're noticeable and there.

I get the not being interested in the trying too hard look. I, for one, am not at all interested in starving myself to have a 6 pack. If I were going to compete I would, but for my everyday life? Nah. Just not worth it. I have some definition and that's good enough for me and everyone that has seen my stomach.

The slim ones with year round six packs are likely to be built like a weed (imo)...
  • its_whisper
    its_whisper Posts: 112 Member
    I don't like beefed up men. Most of them seem shallow and all that muscle..no thanks. I usually just think "that man has dedication"
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    In the gym - I wouldn't know, I haven't experienced this at the gym I go to. Seeing a pic here I think "good work". On a dating site - the couple of guys that have expressed a vague amount of interest weren't just ripped, they were overall very attractive. I actually offloaded them to a more attractive friend. I don't have the self esteem to date someone that conventionally attractive. Plus, if they put a shirtless picture in their profile (and no text) I assume that they are just looking for a one nighter and think that their physique is what would prompt that.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited July 2017
    The gyms I train in about 50% of the guys are shirtless. But these are boxing/mma gyms. Most guys have full sets of abs too.....it's not aboutaaesthetics it's just a by product of what happens when you train for the sport. So not every guy who sports a 6 pack is a meathead. Having a good body as a fighter is not the goal...but it inevitably happens to most. So it's not a vanity thing as much as a functional necessary thing.

This is my husband. He does mixed martial arts 5 mornings a week before work and has a very muscular body including a 6 pack. It's not an obsession for him. The only time he walks around shirtless is when it's hot out and he's doing yard work.

ETA - he has it year round and eats carbs. Pasta is a staple for him. He has a fast metabolism. Again it doesn't have to be an obsession for some guys. I guess that's why I don't think much of it when I see other guys with it.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Not going to lie. Abs are nice to look at but it is not the end all be all. It's part of the type I'm most attracted to (football player). Do I need to see them? No just keep the shirt on and let my imagination run wild. ;)

On the other hand, my brothers have always had abs even without working out. They are genetically lean. They are healthy, which is most important.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I find this thread odd. While I fully understand why someone having 6 pack abs is not the end all be all....I find it strange that while some are not attracted to it which is fine, that many seem to find it a negative. There are some pretty decent average guys that just happen to be in great shape....

A nicely built midsection is attractive ( to me). A dude with amazing 6 pack is not, not the 6 pack itself, but the effort behind it. While I love a guy in great shape, I don't like guys that "try too hard", and 6 pack all year around to me screams "trying too hard".

Interesting.....it makes me wonder if it goes the other way as well. If one judges someone that is great shape to be "trying too hard", is it safe to say the opposite could be judged about an obese person "not trying hard enough"?

Keep in mind, great shape and six pack all year long is not the same thing. All serious lifters know what it takes to have amazing abs. There's a reason most serious lifters don't keep abs all year long.

Well I'm a trainer and a former professional athlete....so I already have these things in mind. I know what it takes to have amazing abs and why some don't have them all year round. But I have abs all year long.....there may be times when they are more cut then others but they are always there. It's more a function of the sport I have participated in my whole life, and my job then any type of vanity issue. And for the others, who's to say that when someone sees them with their 6 pack abs that it isn't just their "cut" cycle.....maybe they won't have abs 6 months from now but because they do then they are "trying too hard"

I think people tend to judge on both ends of the spectrum.

Agree.
    But what's wrong with judging? At the end of the day, isn't it our right to judge who we are attracted to? Isn't being attracted to someone a form of judgement? Your brain is telling you "yep, that guy does it for you".
    Or "nope, he's not doing it for you".

I agree as well. Judging is always looked upon as a bad thing, but I think it's foolish not to judge. I judge people all the time to see if they add quality to my life or are a detriment. And yes I believe everyone has a right to choose who they find attractive in a person. What I find curious is when someone gauges that on something that they gave no idea to be the case. A guy having abs too much is trying too hard.....a guy with a huge gut is trying too little....those are uneducated assumptions based on our own issues. If a knotted looking cut ab look is not appealing to someone that's fine, if it is but they judge a personality off just that, then that's ridiculous.

I deal a bit with this as a gym rat myself, but also a musician. I like fit men. They're attractive to me now that I'm athletic as well. When I was fat, I always assumed I would have nothing in common with these men.

I tried to date someone I met in the gym. He read terrible books, had no taste in music, made fun of my decorating style (artsy/eclectic) and did some really typical alpha-bro things to me.

I DO have an open mind...I'd love to find someone who is fit and in the gym, but can share my love of literature, music, art. I don't want to judge, but it seems a little difficult to find.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    I want 6 pack abs just because I like it. but that's a long term goal. I could care less what people think. it's for me
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    I don't train in a traditional gym so if I see guys like that it's usually on the street and first I think, 'wow that's awesome, look at how much effort you put in' and then I start thinking about how much time they must spend in the gym and then I feel sad. Living a 100% meal prep life must be really hard.

As for attractiveness, abs don't really do much for me either way. I mean, they take effort/commitment which is nice but abs aren't going to hold a conversation with me or nerd out about whatever I'm nerding out about. But, by the same token, if visible abs makes a guy feel comfortable with himself then I fully support that.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Well I'm a trainer and a former professional athlete....so I already have these things in mind. I know what it takes to have amazing abs and why some don't have them all year round. But I have abs all year long.....there may be times when they are more cut then others but they are always there. It's more a function of the sport I have participated in my whole life, and my job then any type of vanity issue. And for the others, who's to say that when someone sees them with their 6 pack abs that it isn't just their "cut" cycle.....maybe they won't have abs 6 months from now but because they do then they are "trying too hard"

I think people tend to judge on both ends of the spectrum.

Agree.
    But what's wrong with judging? At the end of the day, isn't it our right to judge who we are attracted to? Isn't being attracted to someone a form of judgement? Your brain is telling you "yep, that guy does it for you".
    Or "nope, he's not doing it for you".

I agree as well. Judging is always looked upon as a bad thing, but I think it's foolish not to judge. I judge people all the time to see if they add quality to my life or are a detriment. And yes I believe everyone has a right to choose who they find attractive in a person. What I find curious is when someone gauges that on something that they gave no idea to be the case. A guy having abs too much is trying too hard.....a guy with a huge gut is trying too little....those are uneducated assumptions based on our own issues. If a knotted looking cut ab look is not appealing to someone that's fine, if it is but they judge a personality off just that, then that's ridiculous.

I deal a bit with this as a gym rat myself, but also a musician. I like fit men. They're attractive to me now that I'm athletic as well. When I was fat, I always assumed I would have nothing in common with these men.

I tried to date someone I met in the gym. He read terrible books, had no taste in music, made fun of my decorating style (artsy/eclectic) and did some really typical alpha-bro things to me.

I DO have an open mind...I'd love to find someone who is fit and in the gym, but can share my love of literature, music, art. I don't want to judge, but it seems a little difficult to find.

I think a suitable partner is always hard to find....regardles.

Yeah. You're right. I gave up actually.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    That they probably dont have a life outside training, food prep, eating calorie controlled meals and lifting their shirt in front of a mirror to check their abs are still there.

Even though this may be sarcasm, it's not necessarily true. They could be hikers, bikers or mountain climbers. They would be fun to hang out with.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    km8907 wrote: »
    Nice to look at, but I want a man I can eat carbs with.

What about a man that has abs and eats over 300 grams of carbs a day?

Are you talking quinoa and veggie carbs or sub sandwich and crackers carbs?
  • Candy0516
    Candy0516 Posts: 399 Member
    :p<3
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    I'm not that impressed by them truthfully (well at least the ones that are very defined) but having a strong core is a good thing in my book.