August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Hang on, what's the difference between chest and bust? There was only chest there yesterday.

In my case, pretty much nothing ;)

you made me spit coffee out
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Welcome @DanielleM7810!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Interesting article for the ladies. http://todaysmama.com/2017/08/fitness-made-infertile/ it's a good read for the men too, she really hits upon finding the balance between being fit and healthy and obsessed with working out.
  • anitamistry1
    anitamistry1 Posts: 44 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Testing to see if the ticker has worked. Nope will have to come back later.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    5.1 miles on the treadmill before bowling yesterday. My anxiety has been pretty bad the past few days, and running has been a really big help. It's not as bad today, but still present, and I will not have an opportunity to run today, so I hope I hold up okay.

Ran into an acquaintance at the gym today, a guy who worked at the gym I previously went to. I guess he's looking to work at my current gym. He asked me if I was strength training as well as running, and I had to say no, I am seriously neglecting that. The fact is, I absolutely HATE strength training (but I didn't tell him that). But meh, I really should do something about it. I just need to find something I actually like to do.

August total - 33.1 / 100 miles
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Ran into an acquaintance at the gym today, a guy who worked at the gym I previously went to. I guess he's looking to work at my current gym. He asked me if I was strength training as well as running, and I had to say no, I am seriously neglecting that. The fact is, I absolutely HATE strength training (but I didn't tell him that). But meh, I really should do something about it. I just need to find something I actually like to do.

This is me. Heh, I can run a marathon, and finish in the top third of all runners. I chew on hills in every workout, and when I dreadmill it is always an average grade of 5% or more... but picking up smartphone is a struggle! (joking... sort of!)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    You typoed the link. you need
    [img]<your image link here with no spaces>[/img]

• anitamistry1
    anitamistry1 Posts: 44 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You typoed the link. you need
    [img]<your image link here with no spaces>[/img]

Thank you. I'll wait till I get home and do it then :)

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

I always hated stretching, and when I became a runner a lot of strength training got squeezed out of the schedule because I'd rather run. Fast forward 6 years and too many injuries, and now I like stretching and strength exercises that are designed to correct my weaknesses and prevent injury. No matter how inconvenient it is to take 5 minutes a day to do cone touches, it beats taking 3 weeks off to rehab Achilles tendinitis.

So what strength exercises do you need? I don't know. It depends on where your specific areas of vulnerability are, which might not be the same as my areas of vulnerability.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Welcome @johnmcc215 !
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Hello all! New here! I have always been a solo runner and haven't even had friends here on MFP so I figured its time to stop being antisocial. Lol!
    I started running about a year ago when I decided to run Spartan. I accomplished my trifecta and am now focusing more on distance running. I have my first official full marathon next month and hope to run my first 50 miler next year as my 40th bday present to myself. (Yay masters!)

My goal this month is a minimum of 60 miles. That seems low to me but ever since I switched to working nights, my internal clock and my training schedule just have not cooperated with each other. So if I can do 15-20 miles per week, I'll count that as a success! So far I am at 19.42 miles this month but have a run this morning so I will update afterwards.

Hoping to make some running buddies here so feel free to friend me! Let's hit the road/dirt/trail!!!

@DanielleM7810 - Welcome to the best running discussion thread on MFP! IIRC from other threads, you're aiming for the Omaha Marathon on September 17; my next marathon is Rochester NY on the same day.

With a base of 15-20 miles a week, you should be well rested for Omaha, but perhaps a bit undertrained depending on how much you were able to do before you started working nights. Run Omaha easy, don't try for a fast finishing time, and live to run more marathons in the future. Probably your best use of August is to develop a running schedule that fits well with your work schedule. If that means modifying the marathon training plan, you need to modify the plan.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

I always hated stretching, and when I became a runner a lot of strength training got squeezed out of the schedule because I'd rather run. Fast forward 6 years and too many injuries, and now I like stretching and strength exercises that are designed to correct my weaknesses and prevent injury. No matter how inconvenient it is to take 5 minutes a day to do cone touches, it beats taking 3 weeks off to rehab Achilles tendinitis.

So what strength exercises do you need? I don't know. It depends on where your specific areas of vulnerability are, which might not be the same as my areas of vulnerability.

This is why I have once again renewed my commitment to being consistent with my strength training and stretching. I've gone the injury route once in the past and I'd like to avoid a repeat.

I know I should be doing more, but right now I've committed to doing strength training once a week. I should probably look into an actual plan designed for runners but right now I'm kinda winging it, but making sure I'm doing exercises specifically in areas of my legs where I know I've had/could have problems, and making sure that I'm not lifting too heavy. Last night I did barbell dead lifts, leg extension machine (prob the most important one to me, since my previous injury was knee-related - patellofemoral syndrome), leg curl machine, calf raise machine, weighted decline sit ups, weighted side bends, dumbbell bench press, bent over rows, and lateral raises, followed by a foam rolling/stretching session. I know it's a bit all over the place, but I figure since it's only once a week right now it's better than nothing. Hopefully, I can work in a second day and spread things out/organize things a bit better.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Hang on, what's the difference between chest and bust? There was only chest there yesterday.

In my case, pretty much nothing ;)

I'm with you sista!