August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @runningmischka glad you are back!
    @mobycarp – best answer “Denial and Hypochondria” I’m going keep laughing at that all day! Nice Hokas.
    I’m with you @mobycarp and @pastorvincent yeah to rain while running, boo to start in it
    @andy504 great job! Fun?? You’re addicted!
    @cburke8909 the run sounds awesome, enjoy vacation
    @lporter229 I’m with you girl, pretty much same measurement ha ha
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    August 1 – 0.0 miles XT Water Aerobics & P90X3 Agility X
    August 2 – 7.25 miles Long Run & P90X3 Yoga
    August 3 – 0.0 miles XT P90X3 The Challenge and a 4-mile walk
    August 4 – 6.0 miles Fartlek Run & P90X3 CVX
    August 5 – 4.0 miles Great Brain Wash 5K Obstacle Run plus warm-up
    August 6 – 0.0 miles P90X3 The Warrior and Dynamix
    August 7 – 5.25 miles Hill Sprints and P90X3 Total Synergistics
    August 8 – 0.0 XT Water Aerobics
    August 9 – 10.0 miles & P90X3 Yoga
    Total: 32.5/100 miles

Upcoming Races:
    August 18 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #3, 5K
    September 16 – Samoa Challenge (Thin Mint Sprint 5K and a Tagalong Trot 1 mile), Safety Harbor, FL
    October 1 – Ft. DeSoto 5K, Race #1 of the Triple Crown
    October 29 – Ft. DeSoto Halloween 5K, Race #2 of the Triple Crown
    November 18 – Insane Inflatable 5K Obstacle Run, Tampa, FL
    November 19 – St. Pete Runfest Half Marathon

I’m sorry to say that no, I didn’t read all of the 200 posts that I’m behind. Monday and Tuesday were just a little too full to squeeze in any screen time. With work, workouts, runs, and food tasting to choose a caterer for my daughter’s wedding, the hours really flew by. What I did read was interesting and insightful as always!

Even though I’m late to the party, I do want to add something about race attendance, chip times, and lining up.

I can’t remember who, maybe @MobyCarp , posted that an upcoming race had 69 participants registered. That would be unheard of here! June’s beach race had the lowest registrants of the dozen or so races I’ve done in the last year and half with 150 finishers, including 14 in my Female 50-54 age group. Evidently, we have a lot of runners here in Florida, lol!

Also, every race has gone by chip time only. You can see your gun time, but awards are given according to chip or net time.

Lastly, I have finally accepted that I am a middle of the pack runner, and I no longer line up at the back of the pack. I think not having to zig zag around people at the beginning has really helped my time and lets me settle into a steady rhythm and pace earlier. By the way, I think the only races here that “officially” line people up according to projected race times are Gasparilla and Disney, but we are talking races with tens of thousands of people. I haven’t done either one yet. Gasparilla conflicted with the Warrior Dash last year and will conflict with Spartan this year, and Disney, well, that’s not my kind of madness!

By the way, I will be adding to the “chart” that everyone is talking about. I just have to search a bit for the link….and a tape measure…Oh, and as for the waist measurement, I was taught, by a seamstress, that you measure your waist where your elbows bend.

Ok, I’ve officially gone on way to long…have a great day everyone!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    so. Joggers (runners) have been in the news a fair bit lately here.

Firstly was the guy out running attacked by some bird of prey. He was left with giant claw marks down his head. Note to self, wear a hat.

the next story was a bit more concerning.

this story is about a jogger running along the side of the road, past a couple of guys, and then for no apparent reason, he PUSHES a woman to the side, very very nearly under a bus. In fact the bus had to swerve out of the way. Gives us runners a bad name.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    By 6, it was raining and I was suddenly dead tired. I don't mind running in a shower, even if the shower turns to rain; but I find it hard to *start* running in a steady rain. So I ended up with an extra rest day, went to bed earlier than I have been getting there, soaked up almost 10 hours of sleep, and felt great this morning.

Yeah. It is funny that way. If I am out running and it starts raining, I keep going. But If I am in a nice dry cozy house and it is already raining, I have no real desire to go run in it.

I'm the same way. It's why I'm so obsessed with the weather these days! I'm always checking it and rearranging my training plan to make sure I get all my runs in.
  • zdyb23456
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Hang on, what's the difference between chest and bust? There was only chest there yesterday.

I take it to mean chest is below the protuberances and bust is measured around them.....ie. chest is around the ribs only.

I did that wrong then. I measured around the fullest part of my chest.

Also is the hip measurement around the widest part of your rear?
  • carrie_eliza
    carrie_eliza Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Ran into an acquaintance at the gym today, a guy who worked at the gym I previously went to. I guess he's looking to work at my current gym. He asked me if I was strength training as well as running, and I had to say no, I am seriously neglecting that. The fact is, I absolutely HATE strength training (but I didn't tell him that). But meh, I really should do something about it. I just need to find something I actually like to do.

August total - 33.1 / 100 miles

I hate strength training too, and always made excuses to not do it...then I found a hobby that requires actual upper body strength; now I have a pull-up bar over my bedroom door and a membership in a circuit training group that forces me to do pushups!

Find a reason to do it besides "I have to/it's good for me" and then you won't have to force yourself :smiley:
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Hang on, what's the difference between chest and bust? There was only chest there yesterday.

I take it to mean chest is below the protuberances and bust is measured around them.....ie. chest is around the ribs only.

I did that wrong then. I measured around the fullest part of my chest.

Also is the hip measurement around the widest part of your rear?

I would say for any measurement (except for waist or where specified) go for widest point.
  • zdyb23456
    Options
    5.1 miles on the treadmill before bowling yesterday. My anxiety has been pretty bad the past few days, and running has been a really big help. It's not as bad today, but still present, and I will not have an opportunity to run today, so I hope I hold up okay.

Ran into an acquaintance at the gym today, a guy who worked at the gym I previously went to. I guess he's looking to work at my current gym. He asked me if I was strength training as well as running, and I had to say no, I am seriously neglecting that. The fact is, I absolutely HATE strength training (but I didn't tell him that). But meh, I really should do something about it. I just need to find something I actually like to do.

August total - 33.1 / 100 miles

I hate strength training too. I've never been consistent enough to make any progress.

I do have a friend who is a crossfit coach. She leads a beginner class just for her friends once a week- I go to that occasionally and I definitely get my butt kicked. I do love that when we do an endurance type WOD I kick butt because of all the running I do. When it's more strength, I'm pitiful.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    this is pretty much what I see everywhere about measuring and where:

Before you start measuring, remember to:

Use a non-stretchable tape
    Make sure the tape measure is level around your body and parallel to the floor
    Keep tape close to your skin without depressing it.

Measurements:

Bust: Measure all the way around your bust and back on the line of your nipples.
    Chest: Measure directly under your breasts, as high up as possible.
    Waist: Measure at its narrowest point width-wise, usually just above the navel.
    Hips: Measure around the widest part of the hipbones.
    Midway: Measure midway between the widest part of your hips and your waist.
    Thighs: Measure around fullest part of upper leg while standing
    Knees: Measure immediately above the knee.
    Calves: Measure around fullest part.
    Upper arm: Measure above your elbows – around fullest part.
    Forearms: Measure below your elbows – around fullest part.

I hate this picture is blurry looking for a better one:

l0dqedsbkouv.jpg
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Interesting article for the ladies. http://todaysmama.com/2017/08/fitness-made-infertile/ it's a good read for the men too, she really hits upon finding the balance between being fit and healthy and obsessed with working out.

Thanks for posting this @skippygirlsmom . I'm sure we have all found ourselves heading down that road to one degree or another. A nice reminder to keep our priorities in check!
  • DanielleM7810
    DanielleM7810 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I posted this on my fb today, with a few words of thanks/appreciation to all those who are putting up with me talking way too much about running this year, lol. This is my biggest running year EVER, and I have a lot of very important-to-me goals, but I know I get a bit obsessive about it :D

zjufokn1f1dz.jpg

This made me LOL & snort!
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    August Running Challenge
    Goal: 75 km
    Ran: 31.5/ 75

9/8/17 Run 5 km walk 5 km
    8/8/17 Run 7 km
    7/8/17 Run 8.5 km
    5/8/17 Walk 4 km+SL B
    4/8/17 rest day
    3/8/17 Run 8 km
    2/8/17 Run 3 km + SL A
    1/8/17 walk 4km

SL~Strong Lift
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Well I guess was wrong on the chest measurement. I suppose that's where men measure, between arm pit and nerp. Dang boobs get in the way of everything :blush: least for some of us! Haha!

I was gonna run at lunch then after. But.... It's just as hot now was it will be then so.. guess after work it is. Looks like it may rain ater work.... I skipped eating because I wasn't hungry, so now that I have 15 minutes left on my lunch- I'm hungry. :dizzy: