August 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm still taking it easy and did a 4.5 mile slowish run last night. No massive aches and pains but I'm probably not going to run now until race day on Saturday.

@orphia - a bit naughty of The Telegraph, but it's such an inspirational story, I think I can let them off. I've been trying for years to get on the Daily Mail's sidebar of shame.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I'm still taking it easy and did a 4.5 mile slowish run last night. No massive aches and pains but I'm probably not going to run now until race day on Saturday.

@orphia - a bit naughty of The Telegraph, but it's such an inspirational story, I think I can let them off. I've been trying for years to get on the Daily Mail's sidebar of shame.

Umm.. side bar of shame?
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @karllundy have you though about not logging any exercise calories? I know I lose weight at XYZ calories so, I just set mfp there and not to eat any or much of it back.

Similarly, I set my MFP goal at maintenance excluding intentional exercise, and get my deficit from exercise. (My goal is to lose half a pound a week, so it doesn't take that much exercise.)

Yeah, if we are talking about MFP base calories per day I set mine to "100% sedentary" (or whatever is closest to that) and I only count miles from intentional runs or long walks. I do not count stuff like cool down, or the many stairs at work and so forth.

Hey, same as me but, I usually add walks of half km. I'd always end up doing more calories than my count with the cool downs, stairs, short walks etc. Overtime you get a nice surprise in the scale.

I'm starting to fall short on my goal, but I think in the next week I'll get back on track.
    [/quote]

I am set to Sedentary and still have a 0.5lb/wk loss goal set up. I let my Garmin Vivoactive adjust my calorie goal each day. And seriously, the Sedentary setting is accurate. Most days I will get a slight, negative adjustment on top of whatever crazy high calorie burn I get from running, because in my normal life I AM sedentary with an office desk job. If I didn't run so much I would be more concerned about trying to get extra steps in, lol. As far as the weight loss goal, I'm not super concerned about losing more, just see it as an aid to my running pace at this point, so some days I eat over my goal, others under, etc. I seem to be trending a slight loss.
  • PastorVincent
    edited August 2017
    Options

I am set to Sedentary and still have a 0.5lb/wk loss goal set up. I let my Garmin Vivoactive adjust my calorie goal each day. And seriously, the Sedentary setting is accurate. Most days I will get a slight, negative adjustment on top of whatever crazy high calorie burn I get from running, because in my normal life I AM sedentary with an office desk job. If I didn't run so much I would be more concerned about trying to get extra steps in, lol. As far as the weight loss goal, I'm not super concerned about losing more, just see it as an aid to my running pace at this point, so some days I eat over my goal, others under, etc. I seem to be trending a slight loss.

I am trying to stay my current weight - which is hard since some days I run 15 miles, some days no miles. Makes figuring out what to eat each day tough. I pretty much go by weekly calorie numbers to compensate. Seems to be working for now.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I've been trying for years to get on the Daily Mail's sidebar of shame.

problem is, you'd have to actually OPEN that scum of a newspaper to actually realise you were there......
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    1.97 mike run so 12.51 to go.

Getting there slowly, recovery is finally going somewhere ☺️
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

I am trying to stay my current weight - which is hard since some days I run 15 miles, some days no miles. Makes figuring out what to eat each day tough. I pretty much go by weekly calorie numbers to compensate. Seems to be working for now.

Yeah, I definitely go by an overall weekly target, vs daily. As the week goes on I tend to keep an estimate of where I'm at overall, deficit or surplus-wise. An 18 mile long run day is vastly different from a rest day, but I can't always eat all my calories on the long run day, while the next day, which is a rest day, I tend to struggle to stay within my goal, so generally I go over. It all tends to generally balance out over the course of the week. Honestly, running mileage I've never even come close to before, my biggest goal is to avoid eating too much from runger and gaining, but also to avoid eating too little, under fueling, and losing weight too fast. So far, I seem to be doing ok.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    8/1 - Rest/sick day - feeling better, but not sure running would have been good. Hoping for tomorrow.
    8/2 - 4.5 miles of hill repeats. Glad I did it, more glad I'm done.
    8/3 - 3.5 short miles before getting in the car with the family.
    8/4 - Road trip / vacation
    8/5 - Road trip / vacation / anniversary
    8/6 - 5 miles. Gorgeous morning for a run!
    8/7 - 5 miles. Again, beautiful morning!
    8/8 - 5 miles. Another nice morning!
    8/9 - 4.6 miles of hill repeats with group. I am soooo tired and sleepy today.
    8/10 - 4.4 treadmill miles / trek class. Then upper body weights/abs.
    8/11 - Rest day because I have to.
    8/12 - 6.6 mile group run. Perfect weather.
    8/13 - 2.3 treadmill miles. Then quick upper body weights.
    8/14 - 5.3 miles track / intervals.
    8/15 - 5 miles. Another relatively cool, delightful morning to run.
    8/16 - 4.85 miles of group hill run. Rough, but good.

exercise.png

Thanks to all who weighed in on my Strava calorie burn. I have my MFP base set as sedentary with a 500 cal/day deficit. I think I will go with that, but manually adding runs and see if it works. I may also just set my my calories at no deficit and not subtract workout calories.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I've been trying for years to get on the Daily Mail's sidebar of shame.

problem is, you'd have to actually OPEN that scum of a newspaper to actually realise you were there......

Ah, didn't think of that. Damn. They would probably lambast me for a) going running without wearing any lipstick, b) wearing non-matching gear in last season's colours, and c) for having the temerity to wear shorts which show off my cellulite and flabby bits.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 5 miles
    8/2 - 4 miles
    8/3 - 6 miles
    8/4 - rest day
    8/5 - 8 miles
    8/6 - 3 miles
    8/7 - 0 miles - rest day
    8/8 - 5 miles
    8/9 - 5 miles
    8/10 - 5.6 miles happy birthday run - see what I did there 5.6 miles
    8/11 - rest day
    8/12 - 4 miles
    8/13 - 10 miles
    8/14 - 3 miles
    8/15 – rest day rest day my legs said they need a rest day
    8/16 - 5 miles

63 of 80 miles

exercise.png
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Walked all over Kennywood Amusement Park yesterday- cross training?!

Today ran 8, half the miles in the beautiful cool dark. Love morning running! Sweeter in the summer.
    Aug total 50/90.
    Blessings as you run this day my Running Friends

<3<3<3 I'm a Pittsburgh native. Kennywood holds lots of fond childhood memories for me. It's been a good twenty years since i have been there. I keep telling my husband that we need to go.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @runningmischka that is strange about the pace being faster now, you are just in a hurry to get back to that sweet baby!
    @kgirlhart running the cold is easy, you put on a bunch of layers, got outside are you still cold yes? Take off a layer and start your run. My problem with winter running is then I’m freezing cold the rest of day no matter what I try to do.
    @5512bf I’m not an evening runner either. I think if I wait my body realizes what I’m going to do and it rebels at the thought.
    @bruinsGal_91 Ah, didn't think of that. Damn. They would probably lambast me for a) going running without wearing any lipstick, b) wearing non-matching gear in last season's colours, and c) for having the temerity to wear shorts which show off my cellulite and flabby bits. I laughed way too hard at this.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Running form question... this article claims that swinging your legs HIGHER during running (100 degree angle is mentioned) is more efficient and gets you more speed:

http://www.milestonepod.com/blog/want-to-run-faster-with-less-effort-kick-your-butt/

Has anyone heard anything about this? Is this legit? Seems counter-intuitive at a glance as you are wasting energy and time getting your leg up instead of getting it back to the ground to push again.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    8/1 = 4.5 miles
    8/2 = kettlebell strength training
    8/3 = 7.5 miles (six - 6 minute speed intervals)
    8/4 = 3.5 miles (track workout- 800m sprints & 200m recovery walk)
    8/5 = 4.5 miles
    8/6 = 15 miles
    8/7 = 3 miles on the dreadmill & strength training 45 minutes
    8/8 = 8 miles & vinyasa yoga class
    8/9 = 7.5 miles Tempo run
    8/10 = 5 miles run/walk
    8/11= kettlebell strength training
    8/12 = 5.5 miles
    8/13 = 13 miles (10 with the running group run/walk; 3 solo running miles)
    8/14 = 8 miles & 40 minutes strength training
    8/15 = vinyasa yoga class
    8/16 = 7.5 miles interval run

Okay, this MapMyRun Half Marathon training plan is officially trying to kill me. I woke up to 80 degrees at 5:30 am with 88% humidity and a pollen alert for super high levels of ragweed. I then opened MapMyRun and saw an interval run planned. A 1.25 hour run with 6 minute intervals at 8min/mile. Hahahahaha! I know 8min/miles are easy for some of you, however, I have to give 110% effort to run that fast.

Not being a quitter, I decided to give the run a try. Ha! Intervals 1 & 2 were hard but I managed them. I finished interval 3 literally feeling like I was dying at the end. 3 minutes into interval 4 my heart, lungs, and legs told me to *kitten* off. I started interval 5 with the intention of slowing to 9 min/mile. It was more like 11 min/mile at the end. Interval 6 was a big fat NOPE.

This is the first run in this training plan I have not been able to complete. I feel like a tired & sweaty failure this morning. :(

(August miles) 92.5/150 (August goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    8/19 = 100th Verns No Frills 5K
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    8/1 = 4.5 miles
    8/2 = kettlebell strength training
    8/3 = 7.5 miles (six - 6 minute speed intervals)
    8/4 = 3.5 miles (track workout- 800m sprints & 200m recovery walk)
    8/5 = 4.5 miles
    8/6 = 15 miles
    8/7 = 3 miles on the dreadmill & strength training 45 minutes
    8/8 = 8 miles & vinyasa yoga class
    8/9 = 7.5 miles Tempo run
    8/10 = 5 miles run/walk
    8/11= kettlebell strength training
    8/12 = 5.5 miles
    8/13 = 13 miles (10 with the running group run/walk; 3 solo running miles)
    8/14 = 8 miles & 40 minutes strength training
    8/15 = vinyasa yoga class
    8/16 = 7.5 miles interval run

Okay, this MapMyRun Half Marathon training plan is officially trying to kill me. I woke up to 80 degrees at 5:30 am with 88% humidity and a pollen alert for super high levels of ragweed. I then opened MapMyRun and saw an interval run planned. A 1.25 hour run with 6 minute intervals at 8min/mile. Hahahahaha! I know 8min/miles are easy for some of you, however, I have to give 110% effort to run that fast.

Not being a quitter, I decided to give the run a try. Ha! Intervals 1 & 2 were hard but I managed them. I finished interval 3 literally feeling like I was dying at the end. 3 minutes into interval 4 my heart, lungs, and legs told me to *kitten* off. I started interval 5 with the intention of slowing to 9 min/mile. It was more like 11 min/mile at the end. Interval 6 was a big fat NOPE.

This is the first run in this training plan I have not been able to complete. I feel like a tired & sweaty failure this morning. :(

(August miles) 92.5/150 (August goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    8/19 = 100th Verns No Frills 5K
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon

You are not a failure! You pushed through and accomplished something! But I would advise dialing back to your own level of fitness. The runs in the plans are suggestions not the law of the land :) Listen to your body and adjust as needed.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Your training plan seems so busy and official and so unlike my Hal Higdon one. Mine never mentions intervals. Am I doing this HM training all wrong? Oh dear. November 4th is looming!

I did my 4 miles this morning bringing me up to 40 for the month, so far. Three were in the 11 minutes and something range and the 4th was in the 10 minutes and something range! That's never happened before!

Onward!

Hal has intervals in his higher level of training. The "novice" plans are designed to get you to the point where you can FINISH a Marathon, they are not designed to get you speed. If you have never run a marathon before, getting your body to the point it can handle the mileage first, and worrying about speed some other time, is probably wiser than worrying about speed up front.

But you could always take his "pace" days and do Fartleks instead. That would help with your speed and should not hurt your distance training at all.

• WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Your training plan seems so busy and official and so unlike my Hal Higdon one. Mine never mentions intervals. Am I doing this HM training all wrong? Oh dear. November 4th is looming!

I did my 4 miles this morning bringing me up to 40 for the month, so far. Three were in the 11 minutes and something range and the 4th was in the 10 minutes and something range! That's never happened before!

Onward!

Hal has intervals in his higher level of training. The "novice" plans are designed to get you to the point where you can FINISH a Marathon, they are not designed to get you speed. If you have never run a marathon before, getting your body to the point it can handle the mileage first, and worrying about speed some other time, is probably wiser than worrying about speed up front.

But you could always take his "pace" days and do Fartleks instead. That would help with your speed and should not hurt your distance training at all.

Oh, that makes sense. I'm using the novice #2 plan. And as I've never run farther than 7 miles (so far. ask me Saturday afternoon. it'll be 8) finishing the half marathon in November without falling out is my goal. I'm not terribly worried about speed.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Oh, that makes sense. I'm using the novice #2 plan. And as I've never run farther than 7 miles (so far. ask me Saturday afternoon. it'll be 8) finishing the half marathon in November without falling out is my goal. I'm not terribly worried about speed.

Then I suggest you stick to the plan :)