Weird symptoms / Calorie Deficit

Options
Hello everyone,
So...I searched for this- but couldn't find anything exactly like it.

Whenever I enter into a calorie deficit, a set of symptoms will manifest in my body. They range from "uncomfortable" at first onset, and then intensify to a feeling of what I would call "ill / sick", and then finally to the point of feeling, well- almost "dangerous".

It always starts with
1). "keto flu" like feeling...achy, headache, nausea,
2). Then to intensified nausea, tightness in my throat/ jaw/scalp, acute pressure in my head ( especially in my temples and behind my eyes), and a tight or tense feeling in my lungs.
3). As the symptoms become more intense- the pain intensifies all over my body, my lungs burn and get really heavy/fatigued, it becomes difficult to focus my eyes, and I feel like I might lose consciousness

At any point during this progression - I can consume low glycemic index food, and my body will calm down...

This is my experience whenever I push my body into a calorie deficit. Does any of this make sense to anyone?

Replies

• Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Man, that "kitten" ain't right. See a doctor.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Dude...see a doctor. How big a deficit are you running?
  • Sashslay
    Sashslay Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I experienced this recently!!! Up to number 2. I put it down to not reaching my minimum calorie goal. Any time I feel it coming on, I eat a tablespoon of peanut butter. Within about 15 minutes I begin to fee better.
  • LindaCan2
    LindaCan2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    See your doctor ASAP.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You are either too much in a deficit or you have blood sugar issues. Next time you go to the doctor, ask to have a 3-4 hour fasting glucose test.
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I vote hypoglycemia. My dad has it. Eat all day long and don't go to low into a deficit AND get diagnosed!!
  • Ready2Getcut
    Ready2Getcut Posts: 68 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    How much of a calorie deficit? Are you suddenly dropping a thousand or more calories a day? Are you changing what you eat? Have you had your blood glucose checked?

So far today, I have had about 1200 cal of whole foods....I am about 280 lbs and not sedentary. My normal caloric intake is probably 2500 cal+. I'll eat some more food later tonight..

My blood glucose is between 90 and 116 today. Ketones are normal.
  • Ready2Getcut
    Options
    Wow- thanks for all of the responses!
  • Ready2Getcut
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    See a doctor.

I have- numerous times over the past five years. In 2014-2015, I did a really strict Paleo diet for six consecutive months and worked out 6 times a week. I tracked all of my behaviors/ how I felt- and everything I ate and the calories in a spreadsheet. I had the symptoms- in one form or another- every single day during that period.

I went to my MD and explained everything in detail- showed him the spreadsheet. He ran a battery of 8 blood tests, including the HC1.

Everything came up negative. He actually said "you're in great health"
  • Ready2Getcut
    edited July 2017
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    What kind of a timeline are you talking about? Does this happen after a few hours in a deficit, or a day or a week? Also, how big of a deficit are you talking about? If you cut 100 calories off of your maintenance intake, do you get all of these symptoms? What happens if you eat at a small deficit and include low-glycemic-index foods?

But yeah, "see a doctor" is likely the correct response.

It seems to have an inertia to it ( sounds weird)....it can happen late morning if I am eating really clean and working out. Almost always in the afternoon and into the evening.

Actually I don't feel that here is a "maintenance" weight as of yet- because I haven't been able even get close to my ideal weight. if I am pushing my body at all, it happens- on a daily basis. If I don't push myself, I just continue to slowly pack on weight.

I'm a big guy ( I carry alot of muscle and have a big frame)-- but I am carrying way too much fat at this point. 280+ pounds.

• I3righti3lue24
    I3righti3lue24 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Men are recommend not to eat less than 1800 calories in a day. I wold bump up your calories to 2000 calories a day. An see how you feel, if everything from ur doctor is coming back in the clear. Otherwise seek another doctor, or nutritionist to help maybe pin point where you may be going off.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yeah your symptoms are low blood sugar and if you pass in to stage three you will pass out. Carry hikers mix, beef jerky and/or protein bars with you and with onset of stage 1, eat.

Your minimum before exercise should be 1500 calories.
  • Ready2Getcut
    Options
    noirelb wrote: »
    I vote hypoglycemia. My dad has it. Eat all day long and don't go to low into a deficit AND get diagnosed!!

What does that mean? ( no sarcasm) - like, how would a doctor typically arrive at a diagnosis of "Hypoglycemia"

Is that what it sounds like to you? Hypoglycemia?

Is it possible that I can I be this heavy, and be hypoglycemic?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Are you eating keto or low carb?