Weird symptoms / Calorie Deficit

Options

Replies

• Ready2Getcut
    Ready2Getcut Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Dude...see a doctor. How big a deficit are you running?

I would guess that I am down about 1,000 cal today. The weird thing is- I have eaten so much high fiber food today, that food doesn't even sound appetizing.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    What kind of a timeline are you talking about? Does this happen after a few hours in a deficit, or a day or a week? Also, how big of a deficit are you talking about? If you cut 100 calories off of your maintenance intake, do you get all of these symptoms? What happens if you eat at a small deficit and include low-glycemic-index foods?

But yeah, "see a doctor" is likely the correct response.

It seems to have an inertia to it ( sounds weird)....it can happen late morning if I am eating really clean and working out. Almost always in the afternoon and into the evening.

Actually I don't feel that here is a "maintenance" weight as of yet- because I haven't been able even get close to my ideal weight. if I am pushing my body at all, it happens- on a daily basis. If I don't push myself, I just continue to slowly pack on weight.

I'm a big guy ( I carry alot of muscle and have a big frame)-- but I am carrying way too much fat at this point. 280+ pounds.

When I asked about maintenance, I meant your maintenance calories. What may be happening is that you're aiming for a crazy low deficit, which isn't a good idea for a number of reasons. At your current weight, you should be able to lose weight at a steady rate while still getting to eat a good amount of food.

If you tell MFP that you want to lose 1 pound per week, how many daily calories does it give you? Could you try eating to that target for 1-2 weeks to see how that feels?

Being in a deficit doesn't mean dropping your calories through the floor. It just means eating fewer calories than you're burning over the course of the day, taking into account your normal activities. 1200 calories is an EXTREME deficit for a man of your size.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You are simply not eating enough.

I put your stats into https://tdeecalculator.net guessing 35 years old, 5'9", and lightly active and got a TDEE of 3019 calories/day -- approx. the number you could eat and not lose or gain weight. Eating 1000 calories under your TDEE is the minimum recommended and should result in losing two pounds a week.
  • Ready2Getcut
    Options
    What kind of a timeline are you talking about? Does this happen after a few hours in a deficit, or a day or a week? Also, how big of a deficit are you talking about? If you cut 100 calories off of your maintenance intake, do you get all of these symptoms? What happens if you eat at a small deficit and include low-glycemic-index foods?

It seems to have an inertia to it ( sounds weird)....it can happen late morning if I am eating really clean and working out. Almost always in the afternoon and into the evening.

Actually I don't feel that here is a "maintenance" weight as of yet- because I haven't been able even get close to my ideal weight. if I am pushing my body at all, it happens- on a daily basis. If I don't push myself, I just continue to slowly pack on weight.

I'm a big guy ( I carry alot of muscle and have a big frame)-- but I am carrying way too much fat at this point. 280+ pounds.

When I asked about maintenance, I meant your maintenance calories. What may be happening is that you're aiming for a crazy low deficit, which isn't a good idea for a number of reasons. At your current weight, you should be able to lose weight at a steady rate while still getting to eat a good amount of food.

If you tell MFP that you want to lose 1 pound per week, how many daily calories does it give you? Could you try eating to that target for 1-2 weeks to see how that feels?

Being in a deficit doesn't mean dropping your calories through the floor. It just means eating fewer calories than you're burning over the course of the day, taking into account your normal activities. 1200 calories is an EXTREME deficit for a man of your size.

Thank you. I understand what you're saying. Possibly I'm just being clumsy about the whole thing. I am eating a whole food diet right now, which has alot of vegetables/quinoa ( and alot of fiber). I feel horrible, but food doesn't even sound good- I'm actually kind of bloated right now ( from all of the water/fiber I would assume).

What I do know is that when I was on a strict diet/workout regimen, I could maintain a body mass of about 270 pounds on about 2200 cal/day intake. That literally doesn't even "add up".

• Ready2Getcut
    Options
    Sashslay wrote: »
    I experienced this recently!!! Up to number 2. I put it down to not reaching my minimum calorie goal. Any time I feel it coming on, I eat a tablespoon of peanut butter. Within about 15 minutes I begin to fee better.

Thank you. I'm eating some peanuts now.
  • Ready2Getcut
    edited July 2017
    Options

So.. someone who is 283 pounds and lightly active ( at this point), needs 2760 calories for maintenance.
    You definitely have a point. However, I have a feeling that I would steadily pack on weight at anything close to that.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Thank you. I understand what you're saying. Possibly I'm just being clumsy about the whole thing. I am eating a whole food diet right now, which has alot of vegetables/quinoa ( and alot of fiber). I feel horrible, but food doesn't even sound good- I'm actually kind of bloated right now ( from all of the water/fiber I would assume).

What I do know is that when I was on a strict diet/workout regimen, I could maintain a body mass of about 270 pounds on about 2200 cal/day intake. That literally doesn't even "add up".

How do you know you maintain on 2200? You say you are not sedentary, do you mean outside of purposeful exercise as well?

2200 makes no sense whatsoever. I'm a 165lb truly sedentary female who does exercise. I could maintain my current weight on 2000 or so calories.

So I think you have grossly underestimated your maintenance and therefore are cutting too low. Have you managed to maintain this deficit for any period of time to know what your average losses were?
  • Ready2Getcut
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Are you eating keto or low carb?

Today I have had quinoa, broccoli, a potato, and 7 oz of lean pork...
  • Ready2Getcut
    Options
    noirelb wrote: »
    How much of a calorie deficit? Are you suddenly dropping a thousand or more calories a day? Are you changing what you eat? Have you had your blood glucose checked?

So far today, I have had about 1200 cal of whole foods....I am about 280 lbs and not sedentary. My normal caloric intake is probably 2500 cal+.

My blood glucose is between 90 and 116 today. Ketones are normal...

Well now I'm voting simply too low in calories... Well its after dinner time here so do you mean that 1200 is all you will have pr is it earlier where you live?

it's 8:00 pm here- I just ate some peanuts, so I'm over 1200 calories now. The things is that I experience these symptoms on a regular basis....and I'm GAINING weight. That is why I'm pushing so hard to restrict calories.
  • Ready2Getcut
    edited August 2017
    Options

How do you know you maintain on 2200? You say you are not sedentary, do you mean outside of purposeful exercise as well?

2200 makes no sense whatsoever. I'm a 165lb truly sedentary female who does exercise. I could maintain my current weight on 2000 or so calories.

So I think you have grossly underestimated your maintenance and therefore are cutting too low. Have you managed to maintain this deficit for any period of time to know what your average losses were?

So..... in 2014-2015, I did a really strict diet ( similar to Paleo) for six consecutive months and worked out 6 times a week. I tracked all of my behaviors/ how I felt- and everything I ate and the calories in a spreadsheet. I had the symptoms- in one form or another- every single day during that period.

I was averaging about 2200 calories a day during that time.....YES. I got all of my carbs from green vegetables and some fruit ( in the morning). The rest of the calories came from lean meat and protein powder ( 3 times a week). I would "cheat" on the weekend- usually Saturday night and into Sunday. ( some alcohol and crappy food)

During that period time, my body weight averaged about 270 pounds-- as low as 264.5, and sometimes as high as 274.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

So..... in 2014-2015, I did a really strict diet ( similar to Paleo) for six consecutive months and worked out 6 times a week. I tracked all of my behaviors/ how I felt- and everything I ate and the calories in a spreadsheet. I had the symptoms- in one form or another- every single day during that period.

I was averaging about 2200 calories a day during that time.....YES. I got all of my carbs from green vegetables and some fruit ( in the morning). The rest of the calories came from lean meat and protein powder ( 3 times a week). I would "cheat" on the weekend- usually Saturday night and into Sunday. ( some alcohol and crappy food)
    Don't just look at your calories on your "good" days. What was your average, taking into account your "cheat" days?

• Ready2Getcut
    Options

Don't just look at your calories on your "good" days. What was your average, taking into account your "cheat" days?

That's a good point.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    So. I am a female, 58 yrs. old, 5'7". 115#. I am not sedentary - I run 4-7 miles most days and do workout videos the other days. I probably eat 2000-3000 calories/day and am maintaining. Yes, some days I feel a little woo-woo, so I eat a little more. MFP had me at 1200 to lose 1#/week for quite some time. Wow, was I a crab. Look on any other website for your TDEE and plug in your own numbers here. You will feel better and accomplish your goals. Best wishes! P.S. I lost over 70# here.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    For reference, I'm 6'1" 200 pounds and my maintenance calories before exercise are about 2600-2700. Your maintenance calories should be similar if not higher at a weight of 280 pounds. You're eating way too little. Safe weight loss for you (2 pounds per week) would probably be closer to 2000 calories a day.

The fact that you're eating clean doesn't matter, you're simply eating too few calories per day and your body is running short on fuel. In fact, you're probably doing yourself a disservice by eating clean because your body isn't getting all of the different materials it actually needs in the few calories you're consuming (including fats and oils).

Eat clean or don't eat clean. Doesn't matter. Just up your calories and the feeling will go away. Also, think about seeing a nutritionist to give you a healthy weight loss plan since it seems that you're having trouble figuring this out on your own.

The fact that you're not losing on what you think to be 2200 calories a day tells me that you are not logging completely and/or accurately. You're either not logging everything you eat every day and/or aren't calculating the caloric value of the food you are eating accurately.

As requested above, one thing that might help to point us in the right direction is to show us a sample of your daily eating. When you say 1200 calories, what foods (and how much) did you actually eat?
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    noirelb wrote: »
    I vote hypoglycemia. My dad has it. Eat all day long and don't go to low into a deficit AND get diagnosed!!

What does that mean? ( no sarcasm) - like, how would a doctor typically arrive at a diagnosis of "Hypoglycemia"

Is that what it sounds like to you? Hypoglycemia?

Is it possible that I can I be this heavy, and be hypoglycemic?

My father is 6'4" and quite an average built but was 250lbs and mostly in his stomach for a while, he went on a strict diet and that's when he first saw serious symptoms i believe...probably since you're stomach is often more empty than when you overeat and therefore very little sugar around. He went down to about 200lbs and was very thin and unhealthy looking. Anyway, these days he is around 220-230lbs and the moment he gets his attacks is because he forgot to eat or ate a while back, he gets shaky and white and he has to sit or he feels like he will pass out and i bring him a piece of cheese or granola bar usually. And he feels better after 30ish minutes. You should be able to diagnose it with a fasting bloodtest. It's when you stop eating and drinking at 8pm and take a bloodtest after 8am.
    My grampa (his dad) had diabetes and his doctors told my dad that hypoglycemia can show up as a precursor to diabetes since it's your body not being able to control your blood sugar but in the other spectrum compared to diabetes. As long as you don't get more unhealthy and more heavy or start sugar crazy diets I don't think diabetes would happen. Definitely helps to lose weight.

Anyway, you are 280lbs and heavy muscular mass. Id assume your bmr is atleast 2500 and with exercise even more, so I'd eat 2000 calories a day or more to lose weight if i were you and 5 meals a day or more. If you feel like crap going lower, these diets won't be sustainable so might as well lose 50 lbs over 2 years than 20lbs in 2 months and then have to give up.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Go to a friggin Doctor! Get a full physical including blood tests and find out if you have prediabetes or hypoglycemia,or something else that is affected by not eating well.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm 62, 130# and 5'2". I eat 1200 cal a day to lose. There is just no way that you could be healthy at 1200 calories. Like others have said, you need to count all of your calories accurately every single day to start to get a feel for what your body needs to lose or to maintain. I haven't read yet in any of your posts that your have done that "legwork" of accurate logging for many months at a time.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Have you ever had a panic attack or anxiety attack before? If it's not hypoglycemia or blood pressure issues the symptoms remind me of an anxiety attack or stress response. Anxiety attacks can manifest in physical ways without the feeling of "panic" and have a tendency of gradually ramping up. The kind of headache you described is a dead giveaway and is usually caused by stress induced tension in the neck muscles, and the I get that kind of pressure in the lungs and the feeling like I can't take in enough oxygen when I have anxiety attacks because I unconsciously tense my diaphragm when working on a stressful project. You are restricting too much, both calorie and food-wise. Eating so low, eating too much of the things that make you feel bloated and uncomfortable...etc. Why are you deliberately torturing yourself when you can just... eat food. Your normal food with some tweaks at a reasonable deficit and no crazy stressful restrictions.