WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Machka - I smiled when I saw the picture from your daytime walk yesterday. I just love the way gulls gather together and stand all facing the same direction. We have huge flocks on our rocky shores right now, what with all the fledglings.

Speaking of rocky shores, driving out to my island paradise yesterday, I had time to spare catching the ferry, so I decided to share the drive with you. I stopped to take pictures when I could. (I apologize in advance to anybody who's on a slow connection! I've reduced the size of all these files, but chances are this post will still be pretty "heavy".)

It was just an ordinary drive on an ordinary, rather rainy day. I'll comment as we go along.

Thanks! Very nice ... and one day we'd like to get up that way. :)

It reminded me a bit of Bruny Island just off the coast of Tasmania, where my husband works. The only way to get there is the ferry, which he takes to and from work every day, and he sees sea eagles all the time ... I do too when I go over. :)

M in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Beth Greenworks corded weed eater. You need a nice long extension cord. We have owned gas powered, battery powered, and corded and like the corded best despite the inconvenience of the extension cord, because it is so light you can keep on working. The battery powered ones are wonderful but heavier, and as you know the gas powered ones are the most powerful but way too heavy. Gas powered, then battery powered, then corded in order of heavy to light.

Marcelyn Thanks for checking in, please keep updating us as you can. I feel relieved that you are in a relatively good situation despite being in Houston.

Oh Becca Owain's letter is full of precious words. Thank you for posting it. My heart is singing after reading that page! <3

Sharon No worries! I don't have to see the short haircut, I have my imagination!

Katla Reunions can be bittersweet, can't they? I am always a bit apprehensive because I know there will be an emotional impact but I do go at least every 10 years and feel enriched doing so. <3

Penny That was a lovely little trip you took us on!

Cheri Check in if you can!

Allie Glad the visit to the judge turned out okay.

Kim & Katiebug Missing you.

I woke up this morning thinking about all our Texas/Louisiana gals and it made me realize how I have come to rely on this connection with you all. I really appreciate all of you and cherish each contribution.

Karen in Virginia going to work soon and then seeing granddaughter this afternoon
  • joanne6063
    joanne6063 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    I just saw a news report on the Weather Channel about a hurricane hitting Texas. We have friend Cheri in College Station. I hope her home stays safe and dry. I don't know enough about Texas geography to know whether she is at risk. The map I looked at made me worry.

Katla

She will be ok unless it goes more in her direction. We are in Houston and so far so good. Wind and rain, hoping we keep power on through this. Is she a student? Most time the universities help out with preparing also.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Cheri's husband works for the university so they will hopefully help. Sending strength. NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,729 Member
    Options
    I too am thinking of all our friends in Harvey's path..praying everyone is safe xoxo
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    A tornado warning woke me up at 6 this morning. No tornado around me though there's been about 15 spotted in the greater Houston area. It's been raining most of the night. The storm is just sitting over Victoria TX and it looks like days of rain. We've had about 8" so far in the last 6 hours.

Looks like a long wet week.

Whoever worried about Cheri. She will get rain but is safe. She lives where they evacuated a lot of people to from the coast.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    I settle for photography as my creative outlet

Yep ... me too. :)

Unfortunately I haven't been able to do much since I returned to university. I was entering small contests quite regularly for a while and working on different skills, but returning to university ate up almost all my photography time. Most of the photos I post here are just 'point-and-shoot' snapshots, not taken with my good camera.

Regarding hurricane ... we're waiting for it to hit Louisiana, or not. My brother and his family have sandbagged their place and have stocked up and are waiting.

Regarding Tasmanian weather ... we're waiting too. The snow is supposed to move in tonight some time. The rain and wind have started.

Regarding my cold/flu thing ... turns out I've got a sinus infection. I was beginning to suspect as much. I'm on antibiotics now, which is a little tricky in itself because I'm allergic to two of the main kinds of antibiotics. I have had these ones before and they were OK, so here's hoping I start feeling better shortly.

Regarding university ... it is Saturday night and I've got that test on Monday. I've been trying to study but the sinus infection has left me with such a bad headache and sore eyes. I do hope I feel some better tomorrow so I can concentrate.

M in Oz
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning from West Texas, which is clouded over but not raining this morning. Watching Hurricane Harvey reports. No deaths, thank goodness, about 300,000 people without power, which is less than 10 percent of the people in the area it's hit. They're predicting that it may drop as much as four feet of rain before all's said and done... hope it's less than they think.

Happy anniversary Carol and everyone celebrating your anniversaries this week!

Penny - I would have just missed the ferry and drank the coffee!

Speaking of which, back home again yesterday evening, it was a long, tiring week. Not verbal yet. Headed for that second cup...

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texxas
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Penny - I would have just missed the ferry and drank the coffee!
    Even if the next ferry is 3½ hours later? :noway: Nope! I'm way too fond of my island paradise :D

/Penny

• paulag1955
    paulag1955 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Barbiecat, maybe no one in elementary school can use it, but did you check with your local high school? There may be someone there who needs a violin.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Terry, awesome bracelet and fantastic that it sold!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,729 Member
    Options
    Well I just had a nice chat with my dad.and bless his heart he said he was dreaming of real estate and my condo.my mom was a real estate agent for awhile .and dad also took the course..he said I should go for it.and when I told.him I did..he was very happy..he wants me to have a safe and nice place to live .and I'm glad he is proud of what I'm doing..hope my mom.is too.
  • anneshields001
    anneshields001 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn, thinking of you. Be safe!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,579 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day:

Jog- 27.06min, 6.8-8.2sp, 144ahr. 163mhr, 8.44min mi, 5k = 325c