WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn so glad to hear you're okay with no major damage. Thanks for taking time to keep us updated. You have your work cut out for you.

Janetr okc
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thank you so much to our Texas gals for giving us an update. We have a guy at our church that has the biggest heart for service. It doesn't matter if he is part of a group that is officially sent by our Convention or him and a group that he has been on disaster relief recoveries over the years, he will go. Some way he will go. It was driving him crazy that he couldn't get into Houston. Saw him at the grocery store today and he was finally called by the convention to go. His wife is an RN and occasioanlly goes with him. I saw a video of a guy from Kentucky that is known for his home made bb'q and he had gone around and bought up all the pork in town and was taking down something like 9000 pounds of prom and his big smokers. He had all the meat on lots of ice. It would be used to feed the workers and victims. There are so many stories. I just hope all the things like clothing that is being sent by people like you amd me is handled correctly and not like they did for Katrina.

Mary, good to see Shep. He is such a beautiful or handsome dog. I don't know what hey call male dogs when they are so beautiful. He looks ready to help you either pretty at or just to go for a ride. Is that picture of him full, grown now? Good luck in your home search.

I love the Dave Ramsey literature and method. I don't hpthink my husband would have anything. To do with it becaus if it Biblical bass and not logic. Yes it is logical but if it says anything about Biblical in the literature then he would immediately block the logic from his brain. My oldest daughter and husband follow it and they make sure ey keep the one month of all bills in saving at all times. They also try to teach it to their daughters.

Speaking of my daughter, I don't think even in her wildest dreams di she ever think her current job would be taking it where it is. This child dropped out of college and her major was music and psychology so business management was not in the books at all. But she always has this knack of finding wonderful well paying jobs that keep them goin especially since her husband writes books that are very specific and not to a large audience. But she is executive assistant to a guy who invests in things and she helps him. She was originally hired on to keep his office organized, after she organized it and help him keep records straight. He gives her more and more duties all the time and she handles them like a pro. His main investment is mining in West Virginia. They live in Lexington, Ky area so when ey have to go to the mine, it is quite a drive. Beautiful but quite a drive. So this week she is going up there for two days filing permits, making sure books are straight and finding housing for thhe me. Who are working the augers that they are so proud that they were able to get. He has a 'silent' partner who isn't so silent and her boss has her deal with him pretty much all of the time because he really can't stand the guy. She says that her boss would have made her foreman of the mine but she is a female and miners don't like taking orders from women. But when she has to drive, she takes the company car which is a Camry hybrid and makes over $30/hour.

DJ, I wish I had gardening talents! I paid good money for that landscaping for some one else to do it door me. I just go out, water and talk to e plants.

Well tonight is the last night of my regular dose of Ambien. I have some in a box but. Hope I don't need them. I am prepared to do some sleepless nights before the low dose helps me

Michelle has some kind of crud goinon. She had a sinus infection all last week then it turned into bronchitis and laryngitis. She is on her second round of prednisone and now a different antibiotic. I am not used to see her so weak and washed out. Charlie is such an over protective Dad he takes the phone to bed with him just in case she needs to go to the ER. But the head cold he has had for 2 weeks now, has he taken anyone for it????? NO!

Heather, if you think your husband would really not post in here if anything should happen, could it be taken care of in your will r whatever you call it in UK? I'm not worried anhthing would happen to you. You are very health concsious.

I was watching another video the other day on men's brains and women's brain. Men have all these boxes in their brains, job, sports, car, wife, etc, etc. then they have one box called the nothing box. They frequently go into their nothing box. I swear sometimes Charlie goes into that nothing box. A lot of times it is when I am talking anoint women here. Oh, women, all sections of their brains are wired t all other sections. Anything affects all the other areas. The reason, emotions.

Would love to go to that area of Vermont! That glass blowing workshop and Glenn solids serene. That's the kind of vacation I want. Stay in a lovely B&B and see and do those kind of things. But not for the DH of mine. He wants to be going to amusement parks or which he is totally bored, goes on nome of the rides and find a shade tree to sit under as much as he can. ???????? He still thinks he can do another Disney trip for the family. Let's see, 7 people, $100/day plus the lodging, gas and food. Ummmm, no.

I remember what I was going to say to Leora. When I had my original sleep study, I think I got the bare minimum of sleep required so that they could have an adequate study. Those wires and cables are awful. But the next one was the CPAP study. They helped me choose what device would work for me and that was the first full nights sleep I had had in a long time. They had to wake me up. I wear one that I think is called a pillow. It just goes into the nostrils and of course is connected to straps up on my head. My sister and her husband swear by the covering of the nose and mouth.

Looks like I am a rambling rose tonight! Joyce, Indiana
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm typing on my phone in bed and I lost everything. It almost 1am. I'll try again tomorrow.

Praying for all my Texas friends!
    Even though I live in Arkansas I'm still a Texan!

Dana in Arkansas
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Ginger – Holy Moly! That is some serious water rising. It’s rained all week since we have been here with Will, Tami, and Mallory. Tami worked today and will work tomorrow, and again on Thursday. We’ll take them ‘out for Will’s birthday’ before Mallory goes back to her Dad for the weekend.

It seems to have stalled and rolled around and spread over 3 or 4 states and doesn’t look like it is going to rain itself out any time soon.

I’ve been ‘horrible’ about my eating; and, only exercised for 30 minutes on 2 days since we’ve been here. Estee told me ‘not to worry about what I ate’ … vacation and that will just be something I will have to go back and change for the following 2 weeks.

Marcelyn – Oaks have shallow roots and when you want to plant or build something, they tell you not to get any closer than the drip line … shallow roots spread out far; pines snap off because their roots go deep. Often when a pine dies or is cut down – whatever, you will find a hole that you can break your leg in if you happen to step in it. I know when we lived in Macon, a man at the end of the cul-de-sac had a ‘beautiful’ live oak tree in his front yard. An arborist was called in and told him that ‘if’ he built the house within a certain number of feet without a retaining wall, the tree would die. This man did not want to go to the trouble and expense to do what he needed to do to save the tree and built his house where he wanted and the tree died within 3 years. Then, he had to have it ‘cut down’. There are live oaks trees in Thomasville that were poisoned and the guy bragged about it. Needless to say, his butt ended up in jail over it. Folks down there are ‘very protective’ of their beautiful oak trees. When the straight-line winds hit Albany in early January it took out a lot of the canopy over 3rd avenue. It was almost like riding through a tunnel before the storm hit. Now about ½ of the trees were blown over. I rode by our old house as soon as I was allowed to get into the neighborhood; and, the big oak tree outside our MBR had blown over … away from the house. Later in the month they had a really bad tornado … that hit near the airport, then skipped over the River through town and then was ‘on the ground’ for 70 minutes through about 5 counties … a mile wide. It took out entire neighborhoods. But, surprisingly not that many deaths associated with it because people listened to the newscasters when they were told to take shelter. I have a friend who spent both nights in a closet with her dog. Said it was the worst sound she had EVER heard. The kids came down because the warning was a direct hit to us; but, then the 3 warnings got sucked into one really big storm.

Sometimes we sort of ‘laugh’ that maybe the movie “Exodus” was filmed on our property. It will be coming straight for us, then both split and go ‘north’ to Americus, or more southerly towards Dawson.

I have a dear friend who worked for Bellsouth and whenever there was a storm, she headed towards the center of the building and stood in the stairwell; while her co-workers all gathered around the windows. As a child, she got stuck in her bed because of a fallen tree through her bedroom. She’d tell them that ‘they were the crazy-@$$ed ones’.

I had just turned left going to pick up my granddaughters a couple of years ago, when a live oak (that was rotten down the middle) split and came crashing down on the car in front of me. A limb fell between her car and mine. There was a huge honey bee hive inside the tree; so when they got disrupted they started swarming. I could not get to the woman but I talked to her until the rescue got there. It hit right at the exact place on the bottom of the windshield and that along with the other limbs hitting the ground first kept her from being crushed. It took out all electrical service for blocks. They had to get a bee keeper to come smoke these bees out of the car. A guy that was sitting on the porch on the opposite side of the road came running over – he was going to snatch the door open. I told him, don’t touch the car, the lines are down. About that moment he comes flying past me screaming, ‘BEES, RUN’! I did not move. I had a bright pink shirt on and I calmly pulled bees off my shirt and out of my hair and did not get stung even once. One of her daughters came to the scene and then realized that ‘it was her Mama in the car’. They had to hold her back. She only had some bruises and a few cuts. I went to see her when she got home. It was so scary seeing that and knowing that just but for the Grace of God, go I. If there had not been traffic to cause me to wait at the stop sign that could have been me.

The Sabal Gas Line came through our property (we already had an easement for another gas line, and we’ve got enough firewood to last several years. A lot of it stacked up curing so it can be split. Oak burns well, once you get it started; but, it takes a lot of ‘fat-lighter’ to get it roaring good.

Another reason that oaks fall over in storms is they can rot from the inside out and you don’t know just how vulnerable they are until they fall. We had a big oak tree next to our garage that was out near the back property line. The power lines all went up service alleys behind the houses … we always had a family of raccoons in it every year. The lady who bought our house had it taken down the first week she moved in.

That’s how it was here. Parts of Albany did not have any flooding and since the Flint River comes right through the middle of town; it was flooded for weeks, along with any creeks that fed into it. They were pulling people out of trees in the middle of the night.

They say that a lot of the people who died in NOLA during Katrina is because they climbed up inside their attics and had no place to go. I’ve heard that drowning is an awful way to die.

Hasn’t Cheri not had any flooding where they live? Or am I reading it incorrectly. My heart goes out to all of you who have had to go through this. Tami’s house was flooded a few years ago (before she and Will met). She’s about 5 blocks off the Mississippi and there are 2 levees between her house and the River. They do start watching the level of the River whenever it gets to a certain point, they start packing up and putting her furniture up on blocks as high as they can. Surprisingly, most of the houses are built on slabs; because of the ‘muck’ … and shifting around.

My BF’s son is still arguing with the insurance company on the house he inherited from his step-dad, who died in December – but the insurance was still ‘in place’. They do not want to pay for a total loss as his name was not on the policy. They’ll planning on going to court over it. Doesn’t seem like it should matter whose name is on the insurance policy. I don’t even think they had gone through Probate yet, so the house was still in Jimmy’s name. But, insurance companies will do everything possible to keep from paying. If you have insurance … then you play hell trying to get FEMA to help; then they also put people off. We have so many people displaced after the two January storms.

My DDnL#2 sent me her Dave Ramsey books at the ‘exact right time’ for us. It kept us from making a ‘huge’ mistake. We did not think that the snowballing pay off method would work for us at our ages. We had so many credit card bills that the interest was ‘killing us’. When I wrote it out and showed it to Louis … it made a lot more sense than trying to ‘explain’ it to him. We’re out of debt (with the exception of his business account; which got paid down significantly) and we have started paying cash for everything.

Our youngest son does NOT believe in credit cards. So he and Tami have very few bills, other than her mortgage and their vehicles. She just bought a Volvo, since it is considered one of, if not the safest vehicle because of its construction … has a steel beam that goes all around the car and a steel cage. It is very, very dark out here 11 miles off the main highway. The road is curvy, bumpy, and woods right up near the sides. Will wanted her to be safe coming in and out during the early morning and late evenings.

I guess if anything were to happen to me, Carol would probably know about it since she and my sister were in the same class in HS and are email buddies and friends on FB.

Louis goes to that empty box in his brain sometimes a lot more often than I like; but, I tend to ‘think outside my box(es)’ … we’ve communicated pretty well for 45 years. But, sometimes I just want to ‘smack him’. I can say something and he will look at me as if I am speaking a totally different language. He knows when I am ‘mad’ … because I make this finger, hand, and arm gestures as if I am ‘signing’ to him. I think I want to learn how to sign anyway because we do have a niece and her husband that are both deaf. Their kids learned how; and, my sister’s other daughter and her kids all know how. Neither sister nor BnL have ever learned; but, being around them, you tend to pick up on it somewhat. Sister has a special phone/typewriter so when Lynn calls, they type to one another. Tommy is very hard of hearing and wears 2 hearing aids. So they have the lines going across the bottom of the screen on their TV. That drives me ‘nuts’ because I can’t block it out and be able to watch and hear what is going on with this typing, stop & go.

Joyce – That is what they ended up putting me on, during my sleep studies … the pillows; but, once I got my machine, my choice was the ‘wisp’ which covers the nose and is less likely to pull out if you turn over. Normally, when I have my Cpap on, I sleep on my back and don’t move. Best thing ever! I can sometimes sleep up to 10 hours a night; but, the minimum I sleep is 6. I average about 7 or 8 (except on weekends). Louis cooks breakfast on weekends, so I get up fairly early; but, I can also go back to bed after eating. I can’t stand having something over my face. Not a full-mask or half-mask. I feel like someone is trying to suffocate me. I had my 2nd sleep study done a couple of years ago. You are supposed to have it repeated every 5 years; and, get a new machine. If the power goes off, I am bolting straight up in bed in about 2 minutes. I can sleep straight through a storm. I got upset with Louis he last time because I ‘love’ a good lightning and thunder storm. The kids had come down and they said I never moved.

Before I got it I could and would snore in any position and sounded like a freight train. I sometimes will wake myself ‘up’ snoring if I don’t wear it when I fall asleep.

Lenora
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Joyce - That's an idea. :) I can put instructions on how to do it in my will folder. Whether anyone will take any notice I don't know. Maybe my elder son, who posts a lot on Facebook.

DH and I have had a cough these last few days which I'm pretty sure we got from my granddaughter Edie. She was a bit off colour with a deep cough the day we picked her up. I also had mild "fluey " symptoms, aches and fatigue, and DH has been below par with a cough and an aching back. I nearly didn't go to yoga yesterday, but I managed to get through it with the help of paracetamol. I'm pleased to announce that today I feel much better in myself, although I still have the deep cough. I did my 600 cal exercises no problem this morning. :D

DH went out picking blackberries in the lanes a couple of days ago and yesterday he made two litres of blackberry cordial. Marvellous! <3 He mainly uses it for putting in his stewed fruit, like apples, but it's lovely with soda water. It has a bit of brandy in it as a preservative.

I was so annoyed with DH about his mistrust of this thread because, as I explained to him, it was very insulting about my personal judgement. I believe I am intelligent and perceptive enough to discern the difference between the genuine people and the fantasists, or even those telling half truths. I said, "What you are saying is that I am an idiot and totally deluded". He said it wasn't that at all, but that you could not trust the Internet. There was no convincing him. Grrrrrrrrrr! :#
    He did a degree at Oxford, where he was taught to argue about everything and just occasionally it can get a bit wearing. He can't hear a statistic without pointing out how it is wrong and you shouldn't rely on unreliable data. :sad:
    I love his intelligence, and that was a huge part of my attraction to him, but sometimes I just want a reassuring and comfortable conversation about nothing much. We are best friends though and can talk for ages and he does know that he has this annoying tendency. It probably was the reason his first marriage ended; his wife couldn't stand it! Sometimes he apologises. <3

Love from Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    found a nice wicker bureau with a glass top on Craigslist for 50.00 i will go pick it up tomorrow afternoon.. I will have everything I need except for a sofa, and you know what I can wait on that..
    My attorney put in a motion for legal fee's from Tom that will go over like a lead balloon, but I am tapped out..
    so keep me in your thoughts and prayers..
    I keep thinking of all our friends down in Texas.. I will see what I can do to send clothing and other things down once people can get into the area..
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all,

So glad to hear from you, Ginger and Marcelyn! Trying not to watch too much of the Harvey coverage, as I can do so little. I'm not going to post all the things that made me cry, as I'll just start bawling again.

Rori - such good news on the condo... hope it all works out well. I know it would take a large worry off your mind.

Am having some small success with "habit stacking." Small changes, one at a time, get them in a groove, and then move on to the next one. Some of it is quitting bad habits, some is adding good ones.

Just got a text from the publisher of the paper - her mother-in-law coded yesterday, and she needs to go back to the hospital in Odessa as quick as she can. She just wanted me to do an edit on a story, but I'm going to go up and help her build the paper for a couple hours. Benefits of working remotely - I should be able to do both for a few hours... and technically not at work for an hour-and-a-half anyway

Love y'all,
    Lisa

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    machka - you say you have them hold your mail, sometimes for months? What if you get a bill in that time and don't know it so don't pay it?

Ginger and anyone in Texas in the path of the storm - has there been anything about the Johnson Space Center? They have all that sophisticated equipment, I wonder how they made out? I am amazed at that Fri/Sat/Sun picture. Thanks so much for posting it. Mother Nature sure can be amazing! I'm blown away

Does anyone know if you were to take an item that you purchased elsewhere (like that placq) can you purchase a box from them and have the store wrap the gift?

Lenora - when we lived in PA, whenever the electric company came and did their hack job on the trees, you should have seen the letters to the editor, etc! Yet, we've noticed that when they do the same thing down here, no one seems to say a word. I WISH there were some trees that we had to get rid of, especially the pine trees. To me, one of them is too close to the house. If something were to happen, it would definitely hit the house. They're also so very messy, always dropping twigs. What a mess when I go to cut the weeds

Michele in NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    machka - you say you have them hold your mail, sometimes for months? What if you get a bill in that time and don't know it so don't pay it?

We don't get bills in the mail ... we hardly ever get mail at all. :) Everything is taken care of automatically. Plus when we've had our mail held, we've had minimal bills ... basically just the fees for the storage unit and that was paid through automatic withdrawal.

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3B)
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Greetings and good morning. I am really trying to stay connected here. Our weather is beautiful, but prayers going to those impacted by the storms. I have most of my relatives in Texas, so I will have to check in with them. The pictures are horrendous and I just can’t imagine what that would be like.

Dorrie: sorry to hear about your sleep study experience. They do have nose masks available and for those who can’t use anything else, an “oxygen” tube for your nose, but that doesn’t work really well for most people.

NTKaren: I should take the hint from you and your DH and try to spend more time in them moment.

Katla: I was reading too quickly and thought you wrote about missing yoga for too many “ice cream appointments”!!!!! That’s an appointment I’d like to join you for!

Vicki: falling? Oh my, please take care.

Lanette: I am also a busy person and take comfort in busyness. Sometimes I panic when thinking about retirement for fear I will be bored!

Lisa: glad you are out of harm’s way. It’s nice to be debt free, isn’t it? We only have the loans on the rentals, which the rent pays for and one credit card. We are in the process of selling the rentals which will pay everything off. I felt a big weight off my shoulders when we paid off our house.

Becca: cool rocks! I guess I didn’t realize you collect them.

Terry: good for you not to binge; I binged on pop tarts last night…of all things. We never have them and I rarely eat them but we had a package for DD when she was here and I finished them off!

DJ: I can picture you dragging that ladder around!

Ginger: thank the Lord for the sun!

Rori: you sold your condo in Hawaii! Does that mean you are staying on this side of the sea for a while?

Marcelyn: stay safe!

Heather: are you still out traveling? What’s up with all the talk about something happening to you?

Well ladies a meeting awaits me….ugh. My least favorite thing here at work. Take care and those of you in TX and Louisiana stay safe! Meg in Omaha
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My mother was always borrowing on what was then called "hire purchase" to buy household goods. We never had any money in the bank because it was all going out on payments for car purchase, washing machine etc. It made me somewhat allergic to borrowing money as an adult, apart from a mortgage. My children lived in "jumble sale" clothes and everything we had was second hand, including carpets. We did get the occasional new thing as a gift from my husband's parents, but mostly we lived with old stuff. Cheap cars we bought for cash. When I was divorced and poor I did have a small credit card bill, which so annoyed me I paid it off as soon as I could.
    I'm still a bit allergic to buying "things" and agitate for a long time before purchasing anything. I will buy one good thing rather than lots of dross. I don't need much "stuff". What I do spend money on, now that I am older, is services. Buying time, relaxation and a stress free life is the most important thing. I want to spend my time doing things I enjoy, not chores. We save money by having no pets and only one car. We have no health bills, of course. Not even prescriptions. We rarely eat out, or buy packaged food. I love leftovers.
    My childrens' spending habits make me blench. :o They seem to fritter money away. I never say anything though. They spend money "like water". Luckily the Brighton pair both earn great money, but still . . . . . . . . . :grumble:

Machka - we don't have bills either. Everything is direct debit. Nor do we get anything much by mail. Our cruise stuff, because that's aimed at old people. :) Our mail is nearly all junk.

My cough is horrible. :'(:s

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    Health -- the antibiotics seem to be doing their job. I'm still blowing my nose and coughing a bit, but it is much improved from what it was.

University -- it's spring break. I was planning to study each day for two-week break, but decided to take a break from it all together this week. I might look at some stuff on the weekend, and will get into it again next week. And I'm still working the whole time ... I don't get a break from that.

This Coming Weekend -- we're hosting another ultradistance bicycle ride: 600 km in 40 hours. We were hoping to ride it, but we've just simply not been well enough. Last year we attempted this distance and made it to the 400 km point before calling it a day, again, I had been sick leading up to it, and just hadn't ridden enough. But we've both done this distance in the past so now we're aiming for next year. Meanwhile, we've got 2 riders signed up so we'll be supporting them. It'll be a weekend of weird sleep.

Today -- I stayed within my calorie limit and got in a walk to the beach this evening with my husband. :) Both of those are signs I'm feeling better.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - we don't have bills either. Everything is direct debit. Nor do we get anything much by mail. Our cruise stuff, because that's aimed at old people. :) Our mail is nearly all junk.

My cough is horrible. :'(:s

Heather UK xxxxxxx

We will occasionally get a bill for something like bloodwork. Some labs have the automatic thing where you pay and Medicare rebates you all right there, but some labs submit the bill to Medicare, and then Medicare bills you the remaining bit. But I think that's happened twice in the 4 years we've been in Tasmania, and I don't recall it happening at all in Victoria.

Otherwise about all we get are birthday and anniversary cards because my family still exchanges the traditional cards, and maybe the odd other thing now and then.

Sorry to hear about your cough ... it might be worth getting it checked. I waited a full week to get checked and it grew steadily worse, but now it's much improved.
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Really really hate that this storm is continuing its massive flooding rains as it moves on. Beaumont, Port Artur and New Orleans. Such destruction. Off to do clean-up if we can avoid high water. Don't worry. Turn Around. don't Drown.
  • Machka9
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Really really hate that this storm is continuing its massive flooding rains as it moves on. Beaumont, Port Artur and New Orleans. Such destruction. Off to do clean-up if we can avoid high water. Don't worry. Turn Around. don't Drown.

I heard from my brother just over the border in Louisana that the storm had made landfall again. He commented that the wind had significantly increased and rain was predicted.

My sister-in-law is dispatching for the Cajun Navy and has been doing for a few days now ... long hours.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Ginger and Marcelyn good to see your posts. Sorry about all the trees and all the other damage. Glad you are safe. Sounds like you were well prepared.