Solar Eclipse (August 21, 2017) count down!

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    For my Canadian friends interested in the eclipse.

26p4c4qlrqk6.png

@Vikka_V
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

26p4c4qlrqk6.png

@Vikka_V

Thank you!
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    @cee134 wrote: »

26p4c4qlrqk6.png

@Vikka_V

Thanks!!!!
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    My 7th grader is super excited, and has asked all the teachers if they'll let the kids go outside and watch. No one will give her a definite answer, so I'm letting her skip school.
    Bad parent or cool parent move I'm not sure, but zero fvcks given. :sunglasses:

Deffo cool. She can make up whatever she misses in school. She can't get anther total solar eclipse

Exactly. She's even turning in a project due that day early. Where we live, we will see about 87 % totality.
    Better lesson she can learn than some lame school assignment.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My 7th grader is super excited, and has asked all the teachers if they'll let the kids go outside and watch. No one will give her a definite answer, so I'm letting her skip school.

Our local school decided to have the day off.
    I think mainly for safety since we are expecting a lot of visitors and traffic will be much greater than normal.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options

Good parenting move.. This is educational. I'm keeping my kids out of school! Oh.. wait.. I do that everyday! :wink:
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    East coast here and having serious concerns about storms and cloud cover. I was going to take the family to Charleston SC, but according to weather it's going to be scattered thunderstorms all week. Anyone know the CLOSEST city to us on the eclipse path that will have clear skies that day? Like, right at the edge of the cloud?

Also, some a$$hat in my area bought up ALL the glasses at Lowes (probably to make a profit selling them online) so we plan to buy some solar film for cameras and make our own.

We had a department at work selling he glasses for $3 a piece. I saw them at Walmart a couple weeks ago for $1 a piece. So yeah, people are trying to profit off this event. Luckily, one of my coworkers bought a pack online and gave them to us. I have them hidden in my desk so no one walks by and tries to take them.

As for where to see the eclipse, cloud cover will be worse at the shore, according to a local meteorologist. I heard that on the news a few days ago. Our forecast is for partly cloudy skies, a stray shower or storm is possible. We're not in the total path but just having the ability to see part of it is amazing.

Brilliant.. ugh! I keep checking cities along the path and come back with more clouds and storms!
  • captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    You should be able to look at it with the naked eye during the 2 mins of totality if you're in the zone.

Me, I've been practicing looking at the sun all week so I should be immune by then.

I hope you enjoy listening to Rick and Morty:)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    I'm in Portland, Oregon. Slightly North of the path. Went on Amazon and ordered Solar Eclipse glasses. Just got confirmation that the glasses were ready to ship. From China. Should be here sometime between August 18th and September 20th. Winning!

That sucks. I got mine for free. The local library is handing them out as a public service. Check around. There might be something similar in your area.

ETA: Oh, sorry. I see this has already been mentioned. B)
  • cee134
    Options
    f12uka9ghqvx.jpg
  • cee134
    Options
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Vegas to Rexburg ID here. Totality baby! B)
  • cee134
    Options
  • cee134
    Options
    Tomorrow!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    Vegas to Rexburg ID here. Totality baby! B)

Today's the day! That I drive to Idaho :D
    Excited!!
  • cee134
    Options
    May the skies be with you.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    Here we go!! :)
  • captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    tucg4mla3248.png
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Within 5 minutes of getting to work I've already managed to lose my eclipse eye tints.