Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

If the stats on long term weight loss are so bad, why bother?

Options

Replies

• joe4975
    joe4975 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Realize this: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Seek not to judge anyone else on their physical condition. They are at liberty to decide for themselves how much they want to eat, how much they want to weigh. Use your liberty to seek out the fitness level you want for yourself. The final step is to stop judging yourself as well.
  • tk2222
    tk2222 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I do wish there were other sources to draw from than the National Weight Loss Registry thoough, feels like a skewed sample, although I haven't looked into the research enough to articulate that beyond the true-at-all-times nag of inference from a single data-set.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Did you read the full paper? They referenced more studies than the NWCR. It's not just one data point.
  • tk2222
    Options
    Yeah, read it now. They do reference other studies in the intro, but only analyse the NWCR (naturally - that is their dataset and paper). Their analysis of maintenance regimes is certainly interesting, but they don't mention the maintenance calorie-consumption rates (rather, they lump together the still-losing and maintaining at a self reported 1300, assume it's underreported and come up with 1800 as the post-weight-loss number. I can't tell if that's with or without the still-losing group!).

I kind of want a more definite theorization of weight-loss and post-weight-loss behaviour (probably a different paper though), beyond the identification of weight-loss-like behaviours post-weight-loss. (I mean, if I'm going to the question of successful and unsuccessful long-term maintenance of weightloss re this thread.) These behaviours cannot be identical, or people would still be losing, and yet are differentiated from never-lost-weight behaviours, right? Or are they similar or close to similar?

• tk2222
    edited August 2017
    Options
    You know, browsing through other weight-loss-maintenance studies, one thing that doesn't really pop up much is the famous yo-yo paradigm, at least that I'm seeing. People do, by and large, appear to regain weight, but typically up to about 50% of weight lost - rarely all the way back to the start weight and further. (I wonder if its because these studies are on those who initially succeeded at weight loss, which they measure as at least a 5% body weight loss, and the yo-yo dieters tend to relapse before hitting that...but 5% seems like a pretty low bar...)

Curse my love for a good literature review...I really have other things to be doing!!
    • Dombrowski, S. U., Knittle, K., Avenell, A., Araújo-Soares, V., & Sniehotta, F. F. (2014). Long term maintenance of weight loss with non-surgical interventions in obese adults: systematic review and meta-analyses of randomised controlled trials. BMJ, 348, g2646. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.g2646
    • Fildes, A., Charlton, J., Rudisill, C., Littlejohns, P., Prevost, A. T., & Gulliford, M. C. (2015). Probability of an Obese Person Attaining Normal Body Weight: Cohort Study Using Electronic Health Records. American Journal of Public Health, 105(9), e54–e59. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2015.302773
    • MacLean, P. S., Wing, R. R., Davidson, T., Epstein, L., Goodpaster, B., Hall, K. D., … Ryan, D. (2015). NIH working group report: Innovative research to improve maintenance of weight loss. Obesity, 23(1), 7–15. https://doi.org/10.1002/oby.20967
  • tk2222
    Options
    Speaking of the NWCR, I realized that I now fit the criteria (over 30 pounds lost, maintained for over a year)(JUST!) and signed up. For n= and for Science!!!

Apparently they send you questionnaires and things...in the mail? Like, the post? Like, what? C'mon. Science.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    tk2222 wrote: »
    Speaking of the NWCR, I realized that I now fit the criteria (over 30 pounds lost, maintained for over a year)(JUST!) and signed up. For n= and for Science!!!

Apparently they send you questionnaires and things...in the mail? Like, the post? Like, what? C'mon. Science.

Yeap, and they will also want either photographic evidence or medical records of your loss and maintenance periods, so I hope you kept progress pics, or go to the doctor fairly often. xD
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I do wonder if those who use MFP (or similar) and especially those who engage in the forums and do indeed find other goals out of simply chasing a number on scale or a dress/clothing size have more success than others.

For me it was a desire not to have both chronic mental illnesses and physical problems (though I've somewhat come a cropper there but it's not my fault and developmental). There are many drivers and I'm not sure if it being solely vanity can lead to long term success.

But these are just the musings of an amateur.
    Most people look to extrinsic reasons to lose weight. When it becomes intrinsic, I believe that's where the drive is much more sustainable.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/588404/intrinsic-or-extrinsic-which-are-you/p1

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Bump for above "intrinsic" or extrinsic.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I agree that most people probably revert back to old eating habits after losing weight. I was at a decent weight after losing, for about 6 years, but then I moved, and had a lot of life changes. I started eating "whatever" and the weight came back and I weigh more than I ever have and ever thought I would. So far, since I started MFP, about 6 weeks ago, I've lost 10 lbs., with about 90 to go! I find the MFP helpful because it lists not just calories and tracks exercise. I realize once I started tracking my food (my doctor's idea) that I was eating about 2x as much as I should have been, and so it hasn't been hard to cut back, since I'm now aware. I had digestive issues as well, and since I started to eat less and overall more whole foods (less processed and take-out) they have disappeared. If I have to track my food for the rest of my life once I reach my weight loss goal I will do it! I had reached a weight that was too much and I'm healthy and don't have to take any meds, but cannot do the physical stuff I once could. It really was a point of no return to me--that I had to do something about it--doing nothing and continuing the way I was going, I would have continued to gain and I just couldn't accept that. I could deal with the bigger clothes and looking fat but not with being unable to run, play sports, have stamina and energy, walk up and down stairs, etc.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    tk2222 wrote: »

I've been a participant for a few years, they'll send you emails with links to the different questionnaires.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Interesting article. :)
    Could be right. Maybe.

I think some of it is that fat is becoming normal. Most people are overweight or very overweight. I think maybe there is less desire to change when you already fit in. Maybe?

I agree with this.

Plus, it's easier to look at others around us who are overweight and think about how they don't do it either so why should I. Or hey look at that person who is 100 lbs bigger than me. I'm not so bad after all kind of thinking. It's the easy way out to just stay where we are and not try hard to be healthier or thinner. It's hard work and most people have an excuse as to why they can't do it because it's just easier that way.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    This is a viewpoint that often annoys me. People take isolated events and draw lots of conclusions from them. Then they want to compare their own lives to that situation. You have no idea of those people's back story, but it is so easy to fall into the trap of "it is so easy for everyone else" when in reality you have no idea the ease of their situation.

Yes! I had a similar thought at that part of the story. You just don't know what someone else had to overcome or to get through to be standing where they are today. I do agree with other commenters that it really is possible to change one's behavior. Not easy, but certainly possible with dedicated effort!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Because I am not a number.

I yo yo'd for years...when it clicked it was for health.

I found MFP looking for 30 DS Results, setup my profile, found a few groups and then the forums. Got re-educated and realized what I had been doing wrong..the rest is history.

50+lb lost over 18 months...and I have kept it off since 2014...

I keep it off for a few reasons.

1. Health
    2. People are just waiting for me to get fat again so they can say yup I knew it wouldn't last
    3. my Step mother just died at 55 from a massive heart attack from poor eating, no exercise and smoking...55...let me repeat that again 55...I am 45...
    4. I love my husband and he is younger and I want to be with him as long as I can since I only found him 8 years ago.
    5. I want to hold grand children
    6. I want to live.

how's that for intrinsic (mainly)

ETA: this ticks me off just another excuse for those who are looking for reason's not to do the one thing in their life that could extend it for those who love them..smh.