This is why I don't buy cereal

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    czmiles926 wrote: »
    I weighed my cereal for the first time this morning and was suprised that a 30 g serving of cornflakes was more than I expected.
    As a student, cereal is a staple and I can't go without it. I was raised on "plain" cereals like cornflakes and rice crispies so I still view cereals like coco pops and frosties as a treat and not an everyday thing.

Those are my favorite kinds as well, and were when I was a kid.

I need to eat gluten free versions now, but I top my evening protein ice cream with them.

I need to get cornflakes, that's a great idea!
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    I just don't eat it anymore really, unless I want my soggy warm cornflake comfort food which is usually in winter in which case I will fill the damn bowl and sod the caloric expense!

I have muesli with no added sugar and weigh about 1.5 suggested servings out and that does me for breakfast when I feel like it.
  • bonniegarbal
    bonniegarbal Posts: 25 Member
    One serving of granola goes nicely with a yogurt cup.
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    smc92079 wrote: »
    I weighed out one serving of Honey Kix the other day and I thought that was a lot. But, I don't normally eat cereal so I don't know what other serving sizes of higher calorie cereals look like.

Love me some Honey Kix! I can have 2 "servings" as my dinner and be just fine. :smile:
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    One serving of granola goes nicely with a yogurt cup.

Oh don't even get me started on granola! Haha

But yeah, I don't eat cereal for breakfast either. That 5 servings I had earlier was an after lunch "snack"... :|

When I did keep it in the house regularly, I did like to use it as a topping on yogurt. But yeah, this just proves I cannot have it in the house. I've been super disciplined all week too, until this happened.
  • joolie1234
    joolie1234 Posts: 126 Member
    Your bowl's too big! I eat my cereal in a cereal bowl from and older set of dishes (from back before portions got so large!) - it's the perfect size for one serving and it doesn't make it appear so skimpy and sad.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    joolie1234 wrote: »
    Your bowl's too big! I eat my cereal in a cereal bowl from and older set of dishes (from back before portions got so large!) - it's the perfect size for one serving and it doesn't make it appear so skimpy and sad.

It's not the bowl's fault. The same thing happened when I had tiny bowls. I just can't seem to control myself around cereal.

Oh and to the person who asked the brand of the bowl earlier, it's pfaltzgraff
  • ActiveMinutiae
    ActiveMinutiae Posts: 11 Member
    Sounds like youre in too much of a calorie deficit. I can always tell if I am not eating enough because I will have hardcore cravings, or I will just say fk it and eat a crazy amount of something terrible/amazing..however you want to look at it.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    The Ezikiel stuff is the only one I'll buy (unless I have a BAD cinammon Toast Crunch hankering). It's unsweetened and not that great alone, but adds a nice crunch to yogurt, fruit, fluff, and the like. Kinda like Grape Nuts.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    I used to eat cereal all the time. My favorite breakfast was 1 serving corn flakes or shredded wheat or bran buds. I shake that up with cinnamon and splenda. Portion 1/2c cottage cheese, 2 tbsp nuts, and a chopped apple into a bowl and pour the cereal on top.

The mix of carbs, protein and fat kept me full and calorie wise it's not bad at all- around 400 cals or so.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    I remember the cereal commercials growing up often saying 'part of a balanced breakfast' and they always showed a bowl on the table with like fruit and such. I have to wonder if it's more parents just not enforcing the idea of eating more than just cereal at breakfast, rather than trying to sell cereal as a meal unto itself?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    junodog1 wrote: »
    *Raises hand and runs away*
    Please don't lock me in a lab :(

Me too. I can eat one serving and be happy. But it took a while to get accustomed to the smaller portion. When I do eat only that for breakfast I usually need a mid morning snack.

I did not have to get accustomed to it. I did not grow up eating cereal, we had a full family breakfast most days and when we didn't we made sandwiches on the go. I may or may not have eaten cereal as a kid, but I don't remember the specifics of it. First time I decided to try cereal was when I was already dieting a few years ago as a way to supplement vitamins without having to buy pills which I tend to use for a couple of days then forget. Since I was dieting, I looked at the serving size for a guideline and used that. I'm not usually hungry in the morning, so the small amount didn't feel inadequate to me. I was just not exposed to bowlfuls of cereal to form a habit for more than one serving.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    "A serving" is variable. It really is. The next time you are at your grocer, find all the different packaging options for Kellogg's Sugar Frosted Flakes. Note the "Serving" on each different package. They're different for each. If Kellogg's can do it, so can I. A serving of Coco-Roos is when I stop pouring, or about 60 grams.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    I had a bowl of capn crunch berries the other day. Hadn't had it in a couple of years.. omg! So darn sweet, made my teeth hurt! It should be for dessert, not breakfast!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    I don't eat cereal. It's just candy, processed grains with lots of sugar. I rather have a good, artisan bread, which is also processed grains but so much more tasty. And it keeps me full.
  • boredloser
    boredloser Posts: 119 Member
    edited August 2017
    ... *eyes the weighed out Tupperware box of Coco Pops Chocos next to me on my work desk*.... I-I volunteer?

For real though, if I don't plan on having a lunch I usually have 60g (2 servings), but if I'm working I'll stick to the 30g serving because I tend to have a lunch those days.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited August 2017
    I do eat cereal, but only when I can't be bothered to cook or make something. It's easy for the children to have for breakfast as well (and they are well educated in portion sizes, believe me). The only cereal I eat is plain rice krispies but DH and the children have other stuff as well. I enjoy it but don't find it terribly filling, I'd rather have eggs. Or fruit. Or wait until lunchtime.

I think that a lot of the problem with cereal is the expectations created by the images on the boxes. I've just had a look at the ones we've got and they ALL show a huge bowl, virtually filled to the brim. So that's what you expect to get for your "portion" or "serving". The reality is that bowl full is many servings, even of rice krispies - we have small bowls at home and it would take three servings of rice krispies to fill it (I know, I've tried and eaten them - well, they can't go back in the box, can they? ;) Within my calorie target, of course). I dread to think how many servings of corn flakes or museli it would take to fill it. But I'm guessing that from a marketing aspect, a full bowl of whatever cereal looks more attractive than a bowl with a tiny amount that barely covers the bottom of the bowl.

But most people don't look at the serving size on the box, nor do they weigh their cereal. They see a full bowl on the box and that is what they have. Even their children have that amount. And that's another thing - the portion sizes given on the cereal boxes are for adults, not children. Even the serving sizes of cereals aimed at children, it's still an adult size (I have moaned at the cereal manufacturers but to no avail). How many people would bother to reduce the portion size for their two year old? It took me weeks to educate my husband about the amount of cereal that my toddler should have. She likes weetabix minis and I had to weigh out and count the number of "biscuits" she could have. He now goes by how many are in the bowl. But it works for him so whatever. As long as he's not giving her too much to eat. People just don't "get" portion control, especially for their children. Should a small child eat a whole banana, just because an adult would? And don't get me started on packets of crisps that are an adult portion - I see children every day walking to school with a bag of crisps in their hands. That's their breakfast. And the government wonders why so many kids in the UK are obese.

Okay, had my moan, soapbox has been put away and I'll go back under my stone . . .
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    I do. The trick is using a smaller bowl.