This is why I don't buy cereal

Replies

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    I rarely buy cereal anymore, but sometimes I will eat one serving dry as a snack.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I don't find cereal particularly filling so I don't eat it often. When I do have it I eat 1 serving. I have smaller bowls for cereal so it doesn't look like a sad amount.
    I think cereal would work better for me as a snack or a yogurt topping. Granola is better though.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    I felt the same way the first time I measure one serving of pasta! It was shocking.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    I don't like cereal with milk (I'm weird, I know) so it's pretty easy for me to measure out the serving size and put it in a baggie for snacking at work (Puffins, Quaker Oat Squares, and Honey Ohs are my faves). But I do get bummed when the serving size is 3/4 cup and not a full cup (for the same amount of cals that another cereal would have at 1 cup).

My kids don't like cereal with milk either! I have never heard of anyone else who didn't. I'm always pressuring them to put milk in their cereal, lol, but they just don't like it. Especially my son, who loves to drink milk. Once in a while, my daughter will have it, but my son never will.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I used to eat cereal all the time. My favorite breakfast was 1 serving corn flakes or shredded wheat or bran buds. I shake that up with cinnamon and splenda. Portion 1/2c cottage cheese, 2 tbsp nuts, and a chopped apple into a bowl and pour the cereal on top.

The mix of carbs, protein and fat kept me full and calorie wise it's not bad at all- around 400 cals or so.

My current breakfast is a serving of cereal (gluten free cocoa krispies) on top of yogurt, raspberries, chia seeds, and flax meal. Same idea with the mix of macros being just right to keep me full.
  • lorriemb
    lorriemb Posts: 39 Member
    edited August 2017
    That's a gigantic bowl for cereal. Buy small bowls. A serving of cereal will fill it nicely. Also, it depends of the cereal you are choosing. We eat Fiber One, Grape Nuts, oatmeal (the kind you measure into water and cook for a few minutes). Also add protein powder to our cereal. We can't control the overeating of junk cereal so we just don't buy it.

Hang in there! Buy the small bowls.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Sounds like youre in too much of a calorie deficit. I can always tell if I am not eating enough because I will have hardcore cravings, or I will just say fk it and eat a crazy amount of something terrible/amazing..however you want to look at it.

Definitely not in much of a calorie deficit at all. This is how I've always been with cereal. For some reason, it's just one of those things I can't seem to help myself around.
  • champagnemoni
    champagnemoni Posts: 4 Member
    I'm not a big cereal person. The serving size is crazy and too much sugar. Oatmeal is better and will fill you up if you go based on the serving size.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    I'm not a big cereal person. The serving size is crazy and too much sugar. Oatmeal is better and will fill you up if you go based on the serving size.

There are a lot of cereals, some mentioned in this thread, which don't have very much sugar at all. Cheerios, corn flakes, and Rice Krispies come to mind. None of them have much sugar. All of them have decent serving sizes when paired with protein like yogurt.

For the record, I like oatmeal just fine as well. But I also need to pair it with protein in order to find it filling.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

There are a lot of cereals, some mentioned in this thread, which don't have very much sugar at all. Cheerios, corn flakes, and Rice Krispies come to mind. None of them have much sugar. All of them have decent serving sizes when paired with protein like yogurt.

For the record, I like oatmeal just fine as well. But I also need to pair it with protein in order to find it filling.

My go-to is a serving of Fiber One cereal (30g, 60 calories) mixed into my Greek yogurt. I agree about pairing it with protein - I don't find cereal by itself to be satiating at all.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    edited August 2017

I mix oatmeal and cream of wheat with yogurt or fat free cottage cheese. Comes out very filling, almost like a pudding.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I have really small bowls, and i can easily fit 90g of cheerios or sultana bran in them. I did downsize from my previous bowls where 130g was my go to.

I might have to switch to eating it out of coffee cups! :weary:
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    I have really small bowls, and i can easily fit 90g of cheerios or sultana bran in them. I did downsize from my previous bowls where 130g was my go to.

I might have to switch to eating it out of coffee cups! :weary:

Yup. I eat my cereal out of coffee mugs at home or paper coffee cups at work. Sad as heck but it helps.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Yup... I also put cereal in a mug bc my small bowls make me too sad :-(
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    OMG i was half way joking when i mentioned putting cereal in a cup lol
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    edited August 2017
    I eat 2-3 servings of cereal... Kinda makes me feel that this is the portion that's been rationed out for the economic depression. And 1 serving of almonds is even sadder but i still like to eat them... Oh well...
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    The only cereal I find satisfying for the serving is bran flakes/nuts, and I usually have them with yogurt instead of alone anyway.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    I can't have many cereals anymore as they are mainly fortified with iron and unfortunately that means the interfere with the uptake of one of my medications, it would mean I couldn't have breakfast until 10am at the earliest and I would be pretty hangry by then.

It leaves me with porridge oats and muesli pretty much and I find a serving of those filling. Oats with milk and muesli with greek yogurt for me.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited August 2017
    AnvilHead wrote: »

My go-to is a serving of Fiber One cereal (30g, 60 calories) mixed into my Greek yogurt. I agree about pairing it with protein - I don't find cereal by itself to be satiating at all.

No, but cereal and yogurt is a great combo. That crunchy and creamy texture thingy is sublime. Also, protein and carbs are a pretty sweet macro mix. To be fair, every cereal commercial I ever saw showed cereal as PART of a good breakfast. It was never meant to be a meal by itself.