I Have Noticed Many People Returning, Having Regained Their Weight ...

Replies

• Angie2822
    Angie2822 Posts: 70 Member
    I am back again after slowly gaining back 45 of the 55 pounds that I lost originally on MFP. The thing is that I have gained and lost weight for my whole adult life like this (not to that extreme though). I just wanted to be done with the tracking, and weighing and constant monitoring. It takes over my whole life, no balance whatsoever. This time that's my ultimate goal- to figure out how to balance this so it fits in with my whole life and is sustainable. When I get to goal this time, I will still be here logging, weighing and monitoring because that's what I know that I have to do.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    I never left but I have slacked off. I kept bouncing from this to other plans. Then got fed up and binged up to over 1200 calories per day surplus. I regained up to 8 or 9 lbs. Next I kept using every last exercise calorie instead of half and put myself on maintenance. So now I'm back and smarter about things. Using less exercise calories and preplanning. So far down 5 lbs.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    I went a really difficult time and just stopped caring for a while. Tbh, I'm not sure I'd do anything different. But it does suck that I have to do all that work all over again.

Me too. ^
  • Joel_518
    Joel_518 Posts: 35 Member
    edited October 2017
    Great feed....glad I'm not alone. I tracked diligently for years and felt good. Thought I could "intuitively" eat and got flabby. I know tracking helps me maintain macros but WTH...what did caveman do before mfp?? Hahaha
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    For me, I had a good routine going, but when my lifestyle changed through promotion at work, doing MBA part time, getting married, having kids, I abandoned the routine rather than adjusting it. I've now created a routine that fits my current lifestyle.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    edited October 2017
    It's great to see others on here. I have been yo-yo-ing for years, sometimes with the help of MFP, and I think I did several things wrong: stop logging and get defeated when I'd slip up, eat at too high a deficit and then binge, get in shape for other people and not for myself. I am developing more maturity and patience, both of which are necessary for long-term change... I won't say I have it all figured out, I'm stressed out and have been plateaued for a while, but even during this period of stress/depression I have managed to maintain so I would definitely count that as an improvement.

Edit: I would also get more restrictive with my diet over time, transitioning to vegan or paleo or gluten free... the more permissive/flexible I am with my food intake (while still retaining lessons learned from those diets about what is and isn't important to me) the more likely I am to stick with it.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    For me it was excuses. My thyroid went wacko when I was 5 lbs above where I wanted to be, I was totally trashed as far as energy, could barely walk a straight line or form complete sentences after only 6 hours at work. I used my insane fatigue against myself. “I need food to get some energy”, “too tired to work out” I was actually a safety hazard to myself while even walking but the food was a huge issue. Sporadic tracking, preplanning meals and then eating off plan. Refusing to step on the scale. Soon enough I was up 30lbs. I maintained at 175lbs for a year and have just recently got my head right again. Down 15 with 15-20 to go!

Now I preplan meals, get motivated by my trackers calorie burns even if I don’t 100% trust them, and make sure I am doing everything with a focus on health.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    I thought this might deserve a bump for New Year's resolutioners?
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 964 Member
    suzesvelte wrote: »
    I have lost lots of weight many times, and gradually re-gained some of it over time, everytime. I am not a "crazy" eater gorging on junk food and sweet drinks - never really have been - indeed what I eat is very healthy. It always was mainly based on food I prepped from scratch with lots of fresh ingredients and my intake has been even better quality over the last few years because I was given a terminal cancer diagnosis and decided to use diet and health to extend my life expectancy. I take that very seriously and eat very well.

However we live in a society where food is easily available, and "treats" are piled high almost everywhere we go, so eating within a calorie target takes constant vigilance. I can gain weight by simply eating out once or twice a week, snacking on a few sweet things now and again and adding "too much" oil to my cooking. It's not much but its enough to gradudally pile the pounds back on.

Using MFP to re-focus awareness of portion control and how small a protion of fat has to be to keep calories under control is working for me again. I really WANT this to be the last time, so I am being very serious about learning how maintainers manage to maintain. What the "best" maintainers in here seem to do is KEEP ON IT -> keep weighing yourself regularly and keep monitoring your intake and crank it up if you gain a few pounds to keep on target far more easily than gaining huge amounts before you start again. Basically you cannot stop.

Now that seems like a shock, and rather tedious, but I reckon we have to do that, and realise that THIN people actually do that too. They may not talk about it, but they will have little techniques they use to moderate their intake and compensate for over-indulgence. They might even lie about it, they might say "they can eat anything" - but that is nor true for many people. There might be a few outliers with faster metabolism, etc. Same as some of us maybe have slower metabolisms, but basically in our culture of abundance, being slim requires constant effort.

I have also been reading the Beck Diet Solution which was recommended in these forums. This author is a doctor who helps many fat people. She really gets into the head of a fat person and shows you how "thin" people think and manage to stay slim. I strongly recommend this book if you want to change the way you THINK about food and eating as a maintenance as well as a loss thing. It is very helpful to realise that THIN people DO exert vigilance, even if you don't notice that they do. This book is teaching me to "think like a thin person" .. and it is very enpowering. Most of my "bad" habits are based on faulty logic and a sense of "unfairness" about how hard it is to stay slim. Giving up that sense of injustice might be my biggest step to successful loss and maintenance.

I hope so!

Thank you for posting that. I will have to read the book.