I Have Noticed Many People Returning, Having Regained Their Weight ...

Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    docc30 wrote: »
    I was doing great, losing weight, working with a trainer, and definitely getting in better shape. Then, my daughter had medical issues that put her in the hospital for a week. I was still okay, but slowed down a little. Two months later, my wife was diagnosed with cancer. Then, my son-in-law was killed in a car crash. Lastly, my other daughter was diagnosed with breast cancer. During it all, I gained all the weight back. I've been back at it for 40 days. I'll get there again.

Lord.....how could lightning strike so many times!?
    I am hoping you some semblance of normalcy and peace.
  • MHarper522
    MHarper522 Posts: 108 Member
    I lost about 75 pounds about 8 years ago...and then my life flipped completely. Moved to another country, couldn't work for a couple years waiting for all the immigration stuff. Was at home all the time, living with someone addicted to sweets. Got married, I'm very happy, and he doesn't care about my weight gain, which makes it easier to overlook. Had a baby...

Gained it back and then some, but ready to be healthier for my little boy, my husband and myself.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    bump
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I think that I didn't really make any mental changes. Losing weight was kind of a game for, watching the numbers drop gave me a thrill. So, when life got hard, I just didn't care enough to keep going.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    bump
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/25384.php

Behavioral change trumps dieting hands down.

Rethink fasting and IF for the permanent win. Brand new research:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321864.php

"New research suggests that intermittent fasting may raise insulin levels, damage pancreatic cells, and increase the amount of abdominal fat.

Intermittent fasting may be a popular diet, but it may also harm our metabolic health, suggests a new study.
    The so-called intermittent fasting diet has been gaining more and more traction among people who want to lose weight quickly.

This popular diet consists of "fast" days, where one drastically restricts their calorie intake — to a quarter of the daily dose or less, for instance — and "feast" days, where the person dieting can eat whatever they please.

Sometimes referred to as a dieting "fad," intermittent fasting has become popular in recent years, due to its suggested benefits of increasing lifespan and staving off cancer.

Indeed, some animal studies have indicated that intermittent fasting may lower the risk of cancer, while observational studies have shown that people whose religion has them fasting regularly live longer than seniors who do not fast.

But could there also be downsides to intermittent fasting. Research presented at the European Society of Endocrinology annual meeting — which took place in Barcelona, Spain — suggests that the dieting practice may have serious consequences for a person's metabolism.

Specifically, the new study — led by Ana Cláudia Munhoz Bonassa, a researcher at the University of São Paulo in Brazil — suggests that intermittent fasting may impair the normal activity of the pancreas and the production of insulin, which may, in turn, raise the risk of type 2 diabetes.
    Intermittent fasting may lead to diabetes

The researchers were prompted in their endeavor by older studies suggesting that fasting for a short period of time increases oxidative stress and the production of free radicals.

Oxidative stress and excessive levels of free radicals have been suggested to speed up the aging process and to damage our DNA, raising the risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease, and neurodegeneration."

• kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    So, I want to hear your personal stories as to why you regained the weight, and what you would do differently with hindsight.

Would you have stayed on mfp longer, tracking, until you had been in maintenance for a year?
    Would you have lost weight less aggressively so that it was easier to adjust to maintenance?
    Was your entire focus on the weight loss rather than on changing your entire lifestyle?
    Did something health related come up that caused you to 'fall off the proverbial wagon' ?

I, personally, made the mistake of leaving both mfp and the gym and of training at an intensity that was not sustainable in the long term. Leaving this site and that lifestyle lost me a large amount of the fitness and self esteem I had worked so hard to obtain. I was not overweight, but was using mfp to refocus an unhealthy obsession with weight and convert it into a goal of being as fit, lean and strong as I could. So, tell me your stories ...

Im back after gaining some of the weight back
    I think I became too relaxed..stopped paying attention to calories/skipped weigh-ins
    One day of bad eating turned into 2,3, 4, etc
    It really did feel like in the blink of an eye I gained 20 pounds than I was so angry/upset w myself
    but hopefully now im back on track :)
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member

"5 percent of the population can keep their weight off after losing it
    "95 percent of the population thinks they are in this 5 percent"

Within 5 years only 5% of people on non-surgical diet programs can keep the weight off. It is 7% for WLS patients - that includes all surgeries.