Any other women with higher calorie goals?

Options

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I aim for 2200 calories and am loosing steadily. If I go under 1800 I start to gain weight.
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    So My calorie goals are between 1800-2200. Any other females have these goals? I feel like I'm surrounded by either people who don't eat enough, or I just have a faster metabolism. I see men eating less than I do!

Depends on how much you exercise, if you exercise a lot then that caloric intake is fine but I wouldn't go any higher than that, for better fat loss I would be between 1700 and 2000 if you exercise every day but if you don't exercise much (500cals or less 3 times per week) then you can go as low as 1200 for a woman. Calculate it here (http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm)

OP didn't ask for intake advice. She's looking for ladies who are losing at a smaller deficit. And there are a bunch of us. So...yea I don't think your links telling us to cut to 1200/day are going to be as convincing as our own results. Thanks for playing though!
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I eat 2000/day and work up to that level on my fitbit but I seem to still be losing slowly which is okay, I am still in the upper normal BMI range.

^^This..but i am eating around average of around 1800+ and use fitbit and try to be as active as possible(work on hitting 10K steps daily)
  • CycleGuy9000
    CycleGuy9000 Posts: 290
    Options
    So My calorie goals are between 1800-2200. Any other females have these goals? I feel like I'm surrounded by either people who don't eat enough, or I just have a faster metabolism. I see men eating less than I do!

Depends on how much you exercise, if you exercise a lot then that caloric intake is fine but I wouldn't go any higher than that, for better fat loss I would be between 1700 and 2000 if you exercise every day but if you don't exercise much (500cals or less 3 times per week) then you can go as low as 1200 for a woman. Calculate it here (http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm)

OP didn't ask for intake advice. She's looking for ladies who are losing at a smaller deficit. And there are a bunch of us. So...yea I don't think your links telling us to cut to 1200/day are going to be as convincing as our own results. Thanks for playing though!

Guess you didn't even look at the links then because it doesn't tell you to cut to 1200 a day, it just tells you about the amount you should be consuming and I said "you can go as low as 1200", somedays we get busy with work and kids or other responsibilities so we aren't able to consume as many calories and might only hit our minimum, I thought she was asking for advice which is my mistake but you don't have to insult me, we're all human, and you should check out the link it might help you, it's just a link to some health and fitness calculators.
  • CycleGuy9000
    CycleGuy9000 Posts: 290
    Options
    I have gone up and down with my calories a lot (started at 1800 net, then down to 1400-1600.) Now I am back up to 1800. I would love some friends with open diaries so I can get more food ideas. I usually am way below my protein goal.

Try this! (http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm) you can go here and try the 7 day calorie zig-zag cycle, you can eat more calories somedays and less others so that it tricks your metabolism a little and makes it burn more on the days you've eaten less, this can sometimes help with plateaus.

lulz at "tricking" your metabolism

Oh my bad you're right, your metabolism never changes and just stays the same no matter what you do.

From what I have found and read, its at a minimum months before their are notable changes in your metabolism. 24-48 hours affecting your metabolism? Probably not.

No it does not take that long, just think if it took months for our metabolism to adjust then an athlete who had worked their metabolism up to burning 4000 calories per day with very little fat on them would die relatively quickly compared to someone who has a low metabolism but this is not the case. Your body is constantly making tiny adjustments to your metabolism after just 3 consecutive days of eating below your minimum calorie requirement your body will reduce it's metabolism by a notable amount because it believes it is starving, once it has burned the glycogen stores in your muscles it will start burning fat to turn into glucose, eventually it will break down your muscles and use them for protein, athletes usually have more muscle mass than people with large fat stores so their bodies would burn protein sooner, your body can burn carbs, protein or fat mainly to convert to glucose and use it as energy, it prefers carbs but will use any of those if it has to. If you do what is know as a zig zag (eat a little below minimum, eat some above min., eat substantial amount above min.) this can help to break a plateau and burn a few more calories. Not big changes of course but small ones that help, If you were to go 3 days below minimum sure you'd burn a lot of calories but when you got to the end your metabolism will have dropped and you'll have to get it back up, this is the reason a lot of people start a diet and don't eat enough so they go into starvation mode, get really hungry so they eat even more than they did before they started dieting and get overweight again. I've done lots of research, I research every day.
    Le google research mixed with a lil bro science eh? He he. Ghrelin is why people get hungry :D

Really you're going to try and combat that with a one sentence argument and Ghrelin? I'm not even going to waste my time on making an intelligent point so you can insult me again.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I have gone up and down with my calories a lot (started at 1800 net, then down to 1400-1600.) Now I am back up to 1800. I would love some friends with open diaries so I can get more food ideas. I usually am way below my protein goal.

Try this! (http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm) you can go here and try the 7 day calorie zig-zag cycle, you can eat more calories somedays and less others so that it tricks your metabolism a little and makes it burn more on the days you've eaten less, this can sometimes help with plateaus.

lulz at "tricking" your metabolism

Oh my bad you're right, your metabolism never changes and just stays the same no matter what you do.

From what I have found and read, its at a minimum months before their are notable changes in your metabolism. 24-48 hours affecting your metabolism? Probably not.

No it does not take that long, just think if it took months for our metabolism to adjust then an athlete who had worked their metabolism up to burning 4000 calories per day with very little fat on them would die relatively quickly compared to someone who has a low metabolism but this is not the case. Your body is constantly making tiny adjustments to your metabolism after just 3 consecutive days of eating below your minimum calorie requirement your body will reduce it's metabolism by a notable amount because it believes it is starving, once it has burned the glycogen stores in your muscles it will start burning fat to turn into glucose, eventually it will break down your muscles and use them for protein, athletes usually have more muscle mass than people with large fat stores so their bodies would burn protein sooner, your body can burn carbs, protein or fat mainly to convert to glucose and use it as energy, it prefers carbs but will use any of those if it has to. If you do what is know as a zig zag (eat a little below minimum, eat some above min., eat substantial amount above min.) this can help to break a plateau and burn a few more calories. Not big changes of course but small ones that help, If you were to go 3 days below minimum sure you'd burn a lot of calories but when you got to the end your metabolism will have dropped and you'll have to get it back up, this is the reason a lot of people start a diet and don't eat enough so they go into starvation mode, get really hungry so they eat even more than they did before they started dieting and get overweight again. I've done lots of research, I research every day.
    Le google research mixed with a lil bro science eh? He he. Ghrelin is why people get hungry :D

Really you're going to try and combat that with a one sentence argument and Ghrelin? I'm not even going to waste my time on making an intelligent point so you can insult me again.
    K bye.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    All you girls who aren't afriad to eat are just awsome :love:
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    Options

tumblr_lxjmy2CDYv1r1c49to1_500.gif

There's always one...

Lol I love the gif. That song was my theme song in college. I like to eat between 1800 and 2000 calories myself. I am still getting back on track after my trip to Jamaica this summer though.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot, but my intestines are bypassed so I don't absorb about 2/3rds of the calories I eat...so after you take away the absorption issues, it puts me at about 2-2200 calories a day.
  • _meesh_
    _meesh_ Posts: 73
    Options
    My goal is around 2000 right now, and it changes when I change my goal weight. I am a horrible eater and I get lunch at school (I'm a teacher), which is great, but usually averages 700-800 cals, so if I want to be able to eat breakfast and dinner, I can't eat at 1200.

Plus, I don't want to lose the weight too fast, so my skin has time to recover, my biggest fear is to have tons of loose skin. 1 lb a week is good for me.
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yup! Eating a bare minimum of 1800 most days and eat back half to all of my exercise calories, depending on what I burn and how hungry I am. I've tried 1200 and it's just not for me. Once I discovered the BMR info and got some guidance from a trainer I upped my calorie intake - my body is happy AND I'm losing. Slowly but consistently.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options

I just tried that calculator and imho it is doing the same damage that the standard 1200kcal suggestion on MFP does:
    Fatloss: ~1650
    "Extreme" fatloss: ~1250
    This is at 5 times exercise a week(!)

Sorry but anyone who seeks to lose weight would probably prefer to do it as quickly as possible, and I certainly would go for "extreme fatloss" given the choice. Eating this little with that high amount of workout? How could I build muscle? When I started with 1200 I was starving, couldn't sleep, had headdaches, and just got in a bad mood. I lost my ability to do my usual bicep curls at 18lbs within days.

It's simply 'taunting' people with the promise of "extreme" fatloss, but actually you will loose alot of muscle mass too. If you look at bodybuilding forums, they all suggest that in order to exchange fat for lean muscle you have to eat more than that.
  • mysillygoose
    mysillygoose Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm trying it now! I've been at a standstill for awhile now at 1800 on rest days and on workout days, eating up to 2200. The lifting program I'm using suggested more calories based on my 24 hr burn w/ my HRM. So, jumping in w/ both feet and seeing if it helps me lose some more weight. I'm going to 2250 on rest and then probably up 300-400 more based on my workout burns. I just have to tell myself to go "all in!"
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    1800 cals a day for me...i have tried lower but I just dont find it sustainable :)
  • monica2410
    monica2410 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I aim for 2200 calories and am loosing steadily. If I go under 1800 I start to gain weight.

That is just not physically possible.

Question to you ladies eating higher calories: do you mean net or gross intake?
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options

Most of us who choose to eat at a smaller deficit use the TDEE method to calculate calorie goals. So, since workouts are calculated in to those goals, we either don't log workouts or log them as one or two calories burned. But essentially, we do "eat back" exercise calories, so the short answer would be "net."
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My daily intake is calculated to 1680 kcal right now, which corresponds to a 0.5 kg loss weekly. I definitely eat "back" (what an odd expression) on days when I have exercised and then I come close to 2000 kcal daily. I might have to adjust 1680 to a higher figure if I feel hungry, but now tht we have summer here, it's not too bad. I think it is great to read these sensible and healthy comments.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options

I don't log my activity because net calories is completely meaningless, so I would be eating around 1800 gross.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I know the feeling! I eat at 2000ish.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    My observed TDEE -- based on my actual results -- is about 2,600. My goal is 2,100/day, so a pound a week. I've been doing a lot of extra eating recently -- summertime is when I do most of my playing -- so I haven't been sticking to 2,100 and so I haven't been losing as much.

I am 5' 4", 192, 50 years old.

My weekly TDEE includes training with heavy weights 3 times, about 15-20 minutes of stationary cycling after I train, and going for a leisurely walk for a total of 60-120 minutes each week. I have a desk job and I spend my free time either on my feet in my plant room/cooking etc. or sitting down in front of the 'puter.

So yeah, I don't kill myself with cardio, I'm older, I'm not particularly active. And I eat "a lot". Life is good.