Do you believe in ghosts?

Options

Replies

• soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    this is 2013 people!

in the past people believe comets were signs from the Heavens...do you guys still believe that?

we believed people who acted differently were possessed and now we know that its mental/psychiatric disorders.

the "ghosts" you are seeing are other such phenomena.

and all of you who were starting to believe that picture was real have just found out its a photoshop.

those who believe in ghosts stop being gullible!!!! join us in the modern world and leave all that in the past where it belongs.

Who are you to question what people believe ? :huh: and to judge them gullible?
    Are you saying that skepticism should be reserved for a select few? Or are you saying that all claims should be given the same level of credibility became one a fundamental level we are all equal?

I am sorry but that is just now how it works. If you want to make a claim that would fundamentally change our understanding of reality then you had better be able to back it up and if you can't then you deserve to be called in to question.

Some claims are wrong because they are based upon a false assumption.

Some claims are wrong because the evidence provided was incomplete.

Some people are just telling tall tales, embellishing to make their story more interesting.

Some people just lie so that they can dupe people in to paying them for information regarding their lost children.
    Sometimes in those cases they tell the parents that their children are dead and they they are later found alive.

There are simply too many situations where in which people will say that ghosts are real for us to accept these claims at face value without subjecting them to real scrutiny.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Not in my case bro. Many witnesses over a very long period of time with totally unrelated people with different stories, but similar. I'm telling you, it is not made up.

i dont think anyone is accusing you of making it up. we are just saying whatever you are experiencing is due to some natural/neurologic event and is not the result of a ghost.

just like the sleep paralysis i mentioned above. that explains a lot of the cases of people being visitied in their bedrooms by ghosts/demons/aliens etc...

just like in the past when people thought comets were from the Gods...

or possessed people were due to demons and not mental disorders...

whatever you are experiencing will at some point be explained just like all those examples.(or maybe it is already explained)
  • soldier4242
    Options
    For everything we as humans have discovered, there are dozens of things we still can't "explain".
    Ghosts are easy to explain. Every sighting can be explained with a marker on a 10 point scale, where 1 is insane delusion, 5 is hallucination and 10 is attention-seeking lie.
    Dude, seriously. It's so easy to sit there and say that. But, until you experience it, you truly have no idea what you are talking about.
    Every time someone tells me that they believe in ghosts it always boils down to a story where they say something happens that they cannot explain. Can you explain the Meissner effect? It would look like complete and total magic to the people in the dark ages. Trust me seeing something you cannot explain does not mean that ghosts are responsible. In fact you should not claim that ghosts are real until you see a phenomena where in which you can explain it and that explanation is that a ghost was responsible.
    Not in my case bro. Many witnesses over a very long period of time with totally unrelated people with different stories, but similar. I'm telling you, it is not made up.
    Alright what have you and these other witnesses seen that has convinced you that a ghost is the best explanation? Where did this occur?
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    Some people have legitimate unexplained stories to tell that would freak you the f*** out and probably change your perspective on the issue.

You don't know everything about life and the universe. Take a step back.

its doubtful those stories would freak any of us out that are disagreeing with you because we would look for a logical explanation.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    i hope everyone here knows shows like Ghost Hunters are faked.
  • Nireedk
    Nireedk Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I believe. I have actually had a few experiences with smell. I lived in a house built in 1920 and we were the 3rd owners. I would come home to find the home smelled like fresh baked cupcakes or cleaning ammonia. Once, a single step on the stair case smelled like floral perfume - you couldn't smell it on either step above or below it, but when you stood on the exact step you could smell it.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, this has been amusing.
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The mind see what it wants to believe!
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The mind see what it wants to believe!

Put two people in a so called "Hunted house" a believe and a non beilever and they will have very different percetions and experiences!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    We live in a society with pervasive surveillance.

Nearly every person on the planet carries a video camera in their pocket. There are private and government video cameras everywhere.

It is getting harder and harder to justify belief in UFOs or aliens or ghosts or any kind of "paranormal" activity.

If ghosts are real, you wouldn't have some vague "Oh, I feel kinda cold in this room and I thought I heard something!" You'd have 100 YouTube videos of the same event from 100 different camera angles.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Some people have legitimate unexplained stories to tell that would freak you the f*** out and probably change your perspective on the issue.

You don't know everything about life and the universe. Take a step back.
    I don't have to know everything about life and the universe. Why would that be a prerequisite to rejecting your claim? If anything you should take a step back.

As I stated before ghost claims boil down to some story that cannot be explained. Why are you bothered by me at all? I am not saying anything directly about you at all. I am simply stating that you are making a rather large claim that carries with it a rather large burden of proof. Why wouldn't you expect my reaction to be this? Do you simply believe every ghost sighting claim that is presented to you? I am sure that you don't.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    We live in a society with pervasive surveillance.

Nearly every person on the planet carries a video camera in their pocket. There are private and government video cameras everywhere.

It is getting harder and harder to justify belief in UFOs or aliens or ghosts or any kind of "paranormal" activity.

If ghosts are real, you wouldn't have some vague "Oh, I feel kinda cold in this room and I thought I heard something!" You'd have 100 YouTube videos of the same event from 100 different camera angles.

Right.

Because ghosts are always ready and available to be video taped and caught on film.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    i hope everyone here knows shows like Ghost Hunters are faked.

My mom and I used to make our on version of that show for fun. If two idiots with a camera can fake it (and it was pretty entertaining to watch afterwards), anyone can.

Do I believe in ghosts or spirits or magic or whatever? Nope.

Aliens yes. But I don't think they built the pyramids or probe us in our sleep. But I do think the universe is infinite enough there could be some other form of life out there.
  • mercina22
    mercina22 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options
    I do believe in the existence of hauntings. However, I also believe that 99.9% of experiences, pictures, video, and EMFs can be explained by natural means. I have worked with paranormal groups, including verifying pictures, videos, and EMP, for around 7ish years now. I don't actually go to locations anymore (did not have time as a student) but would still go over evidence. I have, in 7 years, had 3 personal experiences, 1 video, and 2 pictures I could not explain easily. I am not saying they were "hauntings", but that I could not, at the time based off of the information I had, explain them through normal means.

There are too many fakes out there. Too many people willing to jump to the conclusion that "OMG It's a ghost!" instead of taking time.

As for the OPs original picture... I am about 99.9% sure it is not real. The "ghost" is too clean, I have SEEN that ghost before in pictures, and there is no EXIF data. No EXIF data in these days of technology means that this is NOT an original photo and that it could easily have been altered in some way.
  • thisdarkpassenger
    thisdarkpassenger Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    No. And I don't believe in God, the Devil, Heaven, Hell, the Tooth Fairy, Santa, or the Easter Bunny.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    "Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't.. -"Leo Buscaglia

“The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.” – Frank Herbert

“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” ~ Henri Bergson

"It's pathetic how we can't live with the things we can't understand. How we need everything labeled and explained and deconstructed. Even if it's for sure unexplainable."~ Chuck Palahniuk
This discussion has been closed.