Do you believe in ghosts?

Replies

• Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    8CJNptv.gif

Cats don't like fans.
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Yes! There was a little girl ghost that appeared in my parents' bathroom before they had it remodeled. Both my sister and I have seen her on separate occasions.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    long ago people thought comets were signs from the Gods. we know thats not the case anymore. anything that is unexplained now will someday be as simple as that.

What about things like possession?

exactly...long ago people thought when someone was acting weird it was demonic possession..now we know its mental/psychaitric disorders that cause it.

What about the explanation for knowing a foreign language that they had never studied?

that has never happened.

Are you sure about that?

It could be possible, especially if you heard the language when you were a baby being spoken. Sometimes I have dreams entirely in Spanish or Portuguese, and I'm not fluent in either one of the languages. If you're talking about something like Tongues though, naw. That's just as spooky as ghosts, spirits, zombies and clowns.

LOL.

You think Pentacostal churches are "spooky?"

Just curious. No judgement.

ETA: I do not go to a Pentacostal church, for reference. My church is non-denominational, and I've never been to that particular denomination even for a visit.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    The Bible on the death of humans:

"When they breathe their last, they return to the earth, and all their plans die with them." - Psalms 146:4

"For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even their name is forgotten." - Ecclesiastes 9:5

It sure doesn't sound like they're up and around bugging people, remembering their past lives or plotting revenge. You know the stuff that makes up every piece of ghost folklore ever.

In a nutshell dead is dead.

[edit] Most major world religions aren't really compatible with ghosts for a variety of reasons. There are some belief systems though that are basically chock full of spirits and dead ancestors watching over you and whatnot.
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    My theory is.... if you allow yourself to believe, you're more likely to come across the spiritual world

If you don't believe, then you don't see/hear it. You're not open to believing, so then you're less likely to be influenced by the paranormal.

Just my two cents.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    No such thing as ghosts, or spirits, or zombies, the dead do not come back to life on any form. Once death occurs, kaput, you're dead.

“Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another.”

― Albert Einstein

But if there's no life, there's no energy, so there can be no transference of energy.

And no, clowns don't apply either.

That doesn't make any sense. Energy transfers. This is physical law.

Explain it then, cause right now you're not making any sense to me. If there is no life, there is no energy, so how can energy transfer if there was no energy to begin with. The only way that it makes sense to me is if through decomposition then bugs turn that into energy or the body becomes compost for vegetation.

Energy is transferred through decomposition, exactly. Your body has energy stored in it (your muscles, your fat, your everything that makes you alive.) When you die that energy does not leave the universe. It is transferred within the system through (if you are cremated) the fire or (if you are buried) decomposition.

Einstein was not saying that your soul comes back to haunt people. He was saying that if you throw a ball the kinetic energy does not disappear when it stops rolling, it is transferred to the grass, to the air, to the friction of gravity and is stored as potential energy.
  • Lyadeia
    My theory is.... if you allow yourself to believe, you're more likely to come across the spiritual world

If you don't believe, then you don't see/hear it. You're not open to believing, so then you're less likely to be influenced by the paranormal.

Just my two cents.

Interesting theory. I'm trying to imagine how that particular theory can extend into other areas instead of just paranormal...like political beliefs or something. Cause in a weird way, this can actually explain why differing political parties will never agree on certain issues.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Nope.
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member

Just my two cents.

Interesting theory. I'm trying to imagine how that particular theory can extend into other areas instead of just paranormal...like political beliefs or something. Cause in a weird way, this can actually explain why differing political parties will never agree on certain issues.

Exactly! It's like you just read my mind.
  • whierd

Just my two cents.

So if you want to, you will see it. Otherwise it doesn't exist.

Sounds legit.

Explains this too

19cb52_ancient-aliens.jpg
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    I've seen several ghosts, and I have strange pictures. None are scanned though at the moment.
  • Lyadeia

Just my two cents.

So if you want to, you will see it. Otherwise it doesn't exist.

Sounds legit.

Kinda how faith works, you know? You can't prove God doesn't exist...but believers can "prove" He does exist. And weirdly enough, vice versa.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Nope, not one little bit.
  • whierd

"When they breathe their last, they return to the earth, and all their plans die with them." - Psalms 146:4

"For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no further reward, and even their name is forgotten." - Ecclesiastes 9:5

It sure doesn't sound like they're up and around bugging people, remembering their past lives or plotting revenge. You know the stuff that makes up every piece of ghost folklore ever.

[edit] Most major world religions aren't really compatible with ghosts for a variety of reasons. There are some belief systems though that are basically chock full of spirits and dead ancestors watching over you and whatnot.

I'm pretty sure you missed a few things. The bible discusses how we shouldn't try to contact the dead, referring to living spirits.

Also, there was a specific ghost mentioned in the OT. The ghost of Samuel, called by the Witch of Endor.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    No. I don't believe in Ghosts, spirits, demons, gods, or goddesses while we're at it.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
  • whierd

I'm pretty sure you missed a few things. The bible discusses how we shouldn't try to contact the dead, referring to living spirits.

Also, there was a specific ghost mentioned in the OT. The ghost of Samuel, called by the Witch of Endor.

I don't know what this means, but I'll assume it is hilarious.

Just an actual biblical reference to a ghost that was mentioned in the Old Testament.

The bible also contains references to dragons, sea monsters, and zombies. Fun stuff.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    lol
This discussion has been closed.