I read an Anti-Microwave thread and got rid of my own!

...because the POS broke while I was nuking mozzarella wontons.

No kitten, I was coincidentally reading an anti-microwave thread and the damn thing decided to give up the ghost (it's barely a year old, WTF Panasonic?). I'm actually debating getting a new one. I can't afford it for at least a week so I'm seeing this as a trial period.

PRO: I have no delusions that living without one will be "healthier", but thinking about it, I only really use it for Spaghetti-Os and drunk munchies, so it's not like not having one would cleave a huge dent in how I cook anyway. Plus, it frees up roughly 50% of my counter space, as my wee 1930s apt was built before most common household appliances.

CON: Already lived microwave-free and utterly loathed it. I sublet-ed with an excruciatingly hippie lease holder who was every bad stereotype of granola-eating clean vegan combined, and I hated our lack of a microwave. But, I'm not sure if I actually just hated her holier-than-thou reasons for not having one more than the extra time it took to heat up my leftover carryout.

Also, how does one properly dispose of a broken microwave in the first place? Do you take it to a special center like for computer and TV parts? I don't feel right just leaving it by the trash cans.

~VL

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    ...because the POS broke while I was nuking mozzarella wontons.

No kitten, I was coincidentally reading an anti-microwave thread and the damn thing decided to give up the ghost (it's barely a year old, WTF Panasonic?). I'm actually debating getting a new one. I can't afford it for at least a week so I'm seeing this as a trial period.

PRO: I have no delusions that living without one will be "healthier", but thinking about it, I only really use it for Spaghetti-Os and drunk munchies, so it's not like not having one would cleave a huge dent in how I cook anyway. Plus, it frees up roughly 50% of my counter space, as my wee 1930s apt was built before most common household appliances.

CON: Already lived microwave-free and utterly loathed it. I sublet-ed with an excruciatingly hippie lease holder who was every bad stereotype of granola-eating clean vegan combined, and I hated our lack of a microwave. But, I'm not sure if I actually just hated her holier-than-thou reasons for not having one more than the extra time it took to heat up my leftover carryout.

Also, how does one properly dispose of a broken microwave in the first place? Do you take it to a special center like for computer and TV parts? I don't feel right just leaving it by the trash cans.

~VL

There's a special area in our municipal recylcling center for things like microwaves, computers, etc.

Sorry yours bit the dust!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Mine broke a couple of years ago, and it took me quite a while to replace it. I knew I would because mine is above the oven and there'd be a weird empty look if it wasn't there, and besides best way to get rid of the old one is have the new one delivered and they'll take it away.

I use it for reheating stuff, mostly, but found I could easily do most of that without it. Still like having it, though!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    I had to giggle
  • vegaslounge
    vegaslounge Posts: 122 Member
    edited August 2017
    Barely a year old? I'd be on the phone to Panasonic!

I know, right?! I know it's just over a year old because I bought it when I moved into this apt July 2016.

The store that sold it to me shut down a couple of months later (I'm not surprised, shopping there was the rudest customer experience I've ever had and I'm an overly forgiving sort– it's got to be REALLY bad for me to complain) so I can't return it there. I know I didn't purchase a manufacturer's warranty because, frankly, it was a $100 microwave and why on Earth would I care that much? I just didn't expect it to conk out after a year of less-than-heavy use. Can't say I'll be looking at Panasonic products in the future. Live and learn (and then get Luvs).

~VL
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    around here, you can stick something like that on the curb and it will disappear within the hour (not sure where they go but every broken appliance/chair/shower head/etc. that I have placed on the curb has been taken within the hour).

For us it is grills. We've put three old grills out over the years, and all were gone by the next day. And two of those were in bad shape (or so we thought).
  • vegaslounge
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    around here, you can stick something like that on the curb and it will disappear within the hour (not sure where they go but every broken appliance/chair/shower head/etc. that I have placed on the curb has been taken within the hour).

Alas, in my little corner of SE Georgia, it would just sit rusting by the municipal garbage cans for the next 10 years. But, the city dump/heavy recycling center is on my commute so I can drop it off before work.

One of my favorite (possibly apocryphal) invention stories involves the "discovery" of microwaves. Apparently a scientist was testing another piece of equipment when he discovered the chocolate bar in his pocket had melted, thus leading him to investigate these "micro waves" in further detail. I'm more curious what insane industrial-strength chocolate he was eating that WOULDN'T melt in your pocket regardless.

~VL
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    I am still sincerely sad that the epic "death box" thread is no more. Nothing can compare to it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Mine broke a couple of years ago, and it took me quite a while to replace it. I knew I would because mine is above the oven and there'd be a weird empty look if it wasn't there.

That's how my parents' kitchen is set up, and Lord above is it a PITA. Their kitchen is horribly laid out anyway (their house was clearly built by a 1950s architect enamored with new conveniences and not, y'know, actual functional space), but you basically smack your forehead on the microwave and overhead cabinets any time you try and use the stove or countertops. It's a lot like the "sneeze guards" over salad bars that limit your sight and mobility to the point you have to duck your head under them to see what you're doing, thus negating the point entirely.

I'm honestly trying to figure out how this would happen -- maybe not quite the same? I've never tried to duck under it at all. Not trying to be difficult, just can't see it! The stove and side countertops (small, the main one would have your back to the oven) jut out in front of the microwave and cabinets which are set back. I'd say it's one common late 90s/early 00s style, at least around here.

Not that any of this is relevant! ;-) But it's a good thing I like it, as it would be a major hassle to ditch without remodeling.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    We have these trucks that go around announcing they buy broken appliances, then sell them for parts to repair shops. Disposing of broken electronics is easy, all we need to do is stop a truck when we hear it. Do you have repair shops around? You may be able to sell or give them your broken microwave, but I'm not sure how things work where you live.

We got a cheap microwave 10 years ago as a gift when we built a new house and it's still working. I use it mainly to defrost pita bread and heat up leftovers. Oh and to make popcorn of course, much easier than fussing about with pots on the stove.
  • vegaslounge
    edited August 2017
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I'm honestly trying to figure out how this would happen -- maybe not quite the same? I've never tried to duck under it at all. Not trying to be difficult, just can't see it! The stove and side countertops (small, the main one would have your back to the oven) jut out in front of the microwave and cabinets which are set back. I'd say it's one common late 90s/early 00s style, at least around here.

Not that any of this is relevant! ;-) But it's a good thing I like it, as it would be a major hassle to ditch without remodeling.

Essentially, my parents' counters are ridiculously shallow/narrow and the overhead cabinets weirdly big and low. I'm 5'6'', no giant, and it's awkward as heck to position myself and my cutting board in the right way. Even my 5'4" mother has problems and my 5"10" Dad doesn't even try (he cleans the dishes after I cook, so, fair trade, lol). Also– y'know how people say, "shop around the perimeter of the grocery store"? Imagine the counters are the perimeter, and there' that big ol' empty space between. I walk 100+ extra FitBit steps crossing back and forth across the gap from counter to counter.

My folks have hated their kitchen since they bought the house 9 years ago. Ironically, I live in a tiny 1930s apt with a skinny kitchen so small that I have a wooden counter that folds out from the wall– I need to, otherwise I couldn't open the oven door and move around at the same time. And despite that, just the way it's laid out– it's so much faster and convenient to cook in my shotgun than their giant 1950s House of the Future.

~VL
  • vegaslounge
    ll2pix2if8mc.jpg

My tiny 1930s kitchen. Microwave took up roughly 80% of the counter to the left of my sink. Now, I can put my bread machine and toaster there instead AND have plenty of room for prep!

~VL
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I didn't read the original thread but I love my microwave. I just use it to reheat stuff. Easier and less dishes than having to do it on the stove.

And steamable frozen veggies, man.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited August 2017
    Francl27 wrote: »
    And steamable frozen veggies, man.

^^^This.^^^

Our microwave only takes up about a quarter of our counter space -- then there's the toaster, the dish drainer, the pot holders, the electric kettle, the salt/pepper/olive oil, the garlic keeper, the bread box, the bananas, and ... who could forget the kitchen scale? Counter space? We don' need no stinkin' counter space ...

Sigh.