I read an Anti-Microwave thread and got rid of my own!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    20 years without a microwave.

Well, I have one but it stopped working 20 years ago. It's a built-in and it's a tea/pasta/dry beans and rice storage box right now. Too lazy and too cheap to take it down.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Heh, I've stored things in mine too. (Even though I do use it on occasion also.)
  • cjv73
    cjv73 Posts: 240 Member
    My microwave is mostly just for reheating and defrosting, except for two major exceptions which happen to be my five children's favorite meals...fruity bread pudding (breakfast) and saucy meatloaf (dinner). Yummy!!!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    This was such a fun read! :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Someone needs to start a "Photos of your kitchens" thread...
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    ...because the POS broke while I was nuking mozzarella wontons.

No kitten, I was coincidentally reading an anti-microwave thread and the damn thing decided to give up the ghost (it's barely a year old, WTF Panasonic?). I'm actually debating getting a new one. I can't afford it for at least a week so I'm seeing this as a trial period.

PRO: I have no delusions that living without one will be "healthier", but thinking about it, I only really use it for Spaghetti-Os and drunk munchies, so it's not like not having one would cleave a huge dent in how I cook anyway. Plus, it frees up roughly 50% of my counter space, as my wee 1930s apt was built before most common household appliances.

CON: Already lived microwave-free and utterly loathed it. I sublet-ed with an excruciatingly hippie lease holder who was every bad stereotype of granola-eating clean vegan combined, and I hated our lack of a microwave. But, I'm not sure if I actually just hated her holier-than-thou reasons for not having one more than the extra time it took to heat up my leftover carryout.

Also, how does one properly dispose of a broken microwave in the first place? Do you take it to a special center like for computer and TV parts? I don't feel right just leaving it by the trash cans.

~VL

Sorry to hear about your microwave but I loved reading your post...haha
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    A couple years ago mine broke while we were making Thankgiving dinner for the family. It was not a big deal since we only used for the frozen veggies. We just substituted something else and went on with life. That is until.....

Later that evening I wanted to warm up my leftover turkey and all the fixins. It was then that I realized how much I relied on that magical food re-heater in the corner. Since it was a holiday here in the US almost every store was closed. Almost... Yeah, I went to K-Mart on Thanksgiving evening to purchase a new Microwave.

I have no idea how I survived the first 14 years of my life without one. :D
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Sorry about your microwave. Only a year, yeah I'd be on the phone with Panasonic getting me a new one. I gotsta have my microwave. I meal prep on Sundays, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Because of my busy schedule, if I didn't do this I would either eat carry out and not eat at all. I also love that my kitchen stays clean all week.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    ...because the POS broke while I was nuking mozzarella wontons.

No kitten, I was coincidentally reading an anti-microwave thread and the damn thing decided to give up the ghost (it's barely a year old, WTF Panasonic?). I'm actually debating getting a new one. I can't afford it for at least a week so I'm seeing this as a trial period.

PRO: I have no delusions that living without one will be "healthier", but thinking about it, I only really use it for Spaghetti-Os and drunk munchies, so it's not like not having one would cleave a huge dent in how I cook anyway. Plus, it frees up roughly 50% of my counter space, as my wee 1930s apt was built before most common household appliances.

CON: Already lived microwave-free and utterly loathed it. I sublet-ed with an excruciatingly hippie lease holder who was every bad stereotype of granola-eating clean vegan combined, and I hated our lack of a microwave. But, I'm not sure if I actually just hated her holier-than-thou reasons for not having one more than the extra time it took to heat up my leftover carryout.

Also, how does one properly dispose of a broken microwave in the first place? Do you take it to a special center like for computer and TV parts? I don't feel right just leaving it by the trash cans.

~VL

Sorry to hear about your microwave but I loved reading your post...haha

I did too.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Zombie Thread.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    I drilled some holes in my kitchen shelves to run an extension cord into the cupboard containing the boiler and stashed my microwave there. Leave enough room for ventilation and leave the cupboard door open when using the microwave. If counter space has a bigger premium in your kitchen than storage you can also run an extension cord into a drawer just under the countertop to stash items such as toaster, crock pot and food processor. I lift the appliance onto the counter while using but store plugged in the wired drawer.
    6hys2p4elfdz.jpeg
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Ours has been broke for about 12 years now and honestly we live and eat just fine without it. Would be nice at Thanksgiving throws the relatives in a tissey that we dont have one. But the stove works just fine and forces us to do better meals on the stove and cant get the frozen meals that are bad for us anyways.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Zombie Thread.

I really wish the Zombie anti-microwave thread existed. Sounds like it was a great one.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,534 Member
    I didn't have a microwave in my college apartment for awhile, it was frustrating and I ate a lot of cold leftovers! Now it's only used for reheating and heating water for tea (have an electric kettle and stovetop one but they take awhile).
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    I don’t have a microwave after ours died we never got one after. It’s no biggie except when I want bagged popcorn
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    In my old place my microwave was broken for ages and I only replaced it because I planned to sell. Now I have one (assuming you don't buy a place needing major renovation they tend to be part of the standard kitchen equipment where I am) but almost never use it. I occasionally use the one at work for reheating things, but at home I'm more likely to eat something cold or reheat it in another way.

I am not anti microwave, though.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    I use my microwave for blanching vegetables, making baked potatoes (prick holes with a fork so it doesn't explode, 6-9 minutes), cooking squash (you can peel and cut into chunks easily after softening in the microwave) , cooking creme caramel on the defrost setting because life is too short for cooking things au bain marie, puffing up asian prawn crackers and poppadums sold for deep frying at home (1 minute for poppadums, 30 seconds for prawn crackers), frying bacon (line a plate with paper towel and cover with paper towel, cook at 1 minute intervals).
  • Siberian2590
    Siberian2590 Posts: 57 Member
    My trusty Panasonic Genius Premier 1000W has been going for over 20 years and works perfectly. I don't think I have even had to change the light bulb, well maybe once.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member
    The second my old microwave started making death noises, I was on buying a new one.

Then it stopped and still going strong so now I have an unopened boxed up microwave sitting on my apartment floor biding its time until the old one gives up the ghost.

(I normally use it to makes eggs, microwave popcorn, or the occasional frozen dinner.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Only the 7, 8, 9, and 0 numbers work on my microwave now. Fortunately, there is also a "30 seconds" button. This is primarily a problem if we lose power and have to reset the clock on the microwave.