I read an Anti-Microwave thread and got rid of my own!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2020
    acpgee wrote: »
    We are in the UK where it is norm to have the clothes washer and dryer in the kitchen. When we lived in the Netherlands these appliances would typically be located in the largest bathroom. That made more sense to me as it was closer to both the laundry hamper and the closets. Curious where these appliances are typically located in the US?

A lot depends on the age of the home I think. Most modern houses have a dedicated laundry room or "mud room". Ours shares a wall with the garage on one side and the kitchen on the other which is fairly common. It is also common to have the laundry room near the bedrooms depending on the layout of the house. Every house I've ever lived in since I was a kid had a dedicated laundry room except for my wife and I's starter home...that was an older house and our laundry hookups were in the garage which seems fairly common in older homes that haven't been remodeled to have a dedicated laundry room.

We had a weird bedroom in that house that was right off the garage and kitchen which is a weird place for a bedroom...we used it as an office, but I often wonder if that was at some point a laundry room due to it's location and someone turned it into a small bedroom to make the home a 3br instead of a 2 br...3 br homes are easier to sell, at least in the burbs.

A lot of apartments in big cities don't have laundry at all and people go to the laundry mat...others have small closets with stacked washer and dryers from what I've seen.

ETA: I live in the Southwest USA...a lot is also going to depend on region. We don't have houses with basements in New Mexico, so most single family homes have a dedicated laundry or mud room. I lived in Colorado and Nebraska as a kid, and I do recall having the laundry in the basement...in those houses we had finished basements and the laundry had it's own little room. Having a finished basement in Nebraska was particularly important due to tornadoes. It was our tornado shelter and like it's own little house on it's own with a bathroom, 2 bedrooms, and a living area and small kitchenette.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    We are in the UK where it is norm to have the clothes washer and dryer in the kitchen. When we lived in the Netherlands these appliances would typically be located in the largest bathroom. That made more sense to me as it was closer to both the laundry hamper and the closets. Curious where these appliances are typically located in the US?

I live in a small US apartment. Our washer and dryer are stacked in a dedicated closet that is in the entry way between our bathroom and kitchen.

I have never seen a washer/dryer in the kitchen in a US apartment, although I did have an apartment where they were in an alcove by the kitchen.

I have seen a few but they usually are remodels for older or disabled people who can no longer carry laundry up or down steps and don't have space in the bathroom.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member

I live in a small US apartment. Our washer and dryer are stacked in a dedicated closet that is in the entry way between our bathroom and kitchen.

I have never seen a washer/dryer in the kitchen in a US apartment, although I did have an apartment where they were in an alcove by the kitchen. It's pretty typical for them to be near the bathroom in apartments. For people with houses, it's pretty usual for them to have their own dedicated room, but it can be kind of unpredictable as to where that room actually is.

I have friends whose (rather large) condo has stacked washer/dryer in a kitchen closet . . . which does seem odd and uncommon to me.

In my whacky ranch-hovel, I have an actual laundry room, which doubles as a sewing room. It's upstairs, just outside the kitchen, next to the staircase, at the back of the former attached garage that's now a 2-story foyer (and home for my rowing machine/weight bench), and above the secret room (with bookcase door). :lol:

^^ None of that is imaginary, or made up.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2020

When house hunting I ran into one place with the washer and dryer in the kitchen, and it was a talking point, because so very unusual. There it was because of a lack of other space. (It was a small--very cute but not for me at the price it sold at--house and the basement didn't have high enough ceilings. They did have a wine storage area down there.)

Here (Chicago), as I mentioned, you typically don't get a washer/dryer in an apt (that might have changed with the new greater availability of new luxury apts, but certainly not in the older rentals common in my neighborhood). Commonly there is a washer dryer area for the building (requiring quarters).

In a condo, you will get a stacked washer and dryer usually in a utility closet or area next to a guest/second bathroom.

In an older house, and most common in general, it will be in the basement. (The common pattern here is a basement -- originally unfinished, but often now finished with a remodel -- 1st floor living area, and 2nd floor area with bedrooms. (There are still plenty of bungalows without a second floor, though.)

What I noticed when looking is that a desirable attribute now seems to be to have a second floor hookup so that one could do the laundry without going all the way down to the basement and carrying clothes up and down. I didn't like it, as I would prefer increasing upstairs space, but I can totally see it being great in a family with kids and more laundry, especially since the basement would likely end up being the kids area in many cases). Mine are in the basement.

I grew up in a split-level house, and our washer and dryer were on the first floor in a small area that connected the downstairs guest bathroom to the garage.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I have never seen a washer/dryer in the kitchen in a US apartment, although I did have an apartment where they were in an alcove by the kitchen. It's pretty typical for them to be near the bathroom in apartments. For people with houses, it's pretty usual for them to have their own dedicated room, but it can be kind of unpredictable as to where that room actually is.

I have friends whose (rather large) condo has stacked washer/dryer in a kitchen closet . . . which does seem odd and uncommon to me.

In my whacky ranch-hovel, I have an actual laundry room, which doubles as a sewing room. It's upstairs, just outside the kitchen, next to the staircase, at the back of the former attached garage that's now a 2-story foyer (and home for my rowing machine/weight bench), and above the secret room (with bookcase door). :lol:

^^ None of that is imaginary, or made up.

Our first apartment when we got married had the a tiny galley kitchen with pass through to the living room and stacked laundry in a tiny closet off the kitchen.
  • Siberian2590
    Siberian2590 Posts: 57 Member
    My house is a 1300 sq ft cottage built in 1939, part of the 1st subdivision in the city of Augusta, GA. The washer and dryer are in the kitchen and it's really the only place for them without adding on. These old houses were well built, with red oak floors (yellow pine in the kitchen), sunporches, real plaster walls and fireplaces in the living rooms. I just finished the kitchen remodel (oak cabinets, countertops, and floor refinish) last year.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    My house is a big ranch. To do laundry, I go to the east end of the house to my bedroom, hamper in closet in northeast corner of bedroom, walk down the hall to the west end of the house, north through a door to the living room, back east through a door to a 256 square foot room dedicated to the washer and dryer.

Who the heck designed that?

Why?
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    I've haven't had a microwave for over a decade now. I do have a convection -toaster oven that I do use daily though. Not for 'health' reasons but I guess I just don't see the need to have another 'thing' in my kitchen staring at me.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Much like the OP, my microwave quit working, so I trashed it. I haven’t got around to replacing it yet. I used it a lot to reheat leftovers and heat a cup of water for hot drinks. I dug out my toaster oven. I like it better for reheating food. I’m sure I’ll eventually replace the microwave, (how do you do TV dinners that only have directions for the microwave?) but not until I miss it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    . .........usually are built in above the stove in most houses and apts now and the smaller ones not take up much more space than a large toaster oven.

This must be a location thing.

I'm not sure what you mean by built in - like an oven or hot plate that you can't move??? I haven't seen any microwaves like that, they are all free standing here in Australia. All I have ever seen anyway.
    So, if you move house you take the microwave with you, it isn't built in or attached or part of the house like a stove or built in wardrobe.
    And where it goes is very variable - some kitchens have designated space, either over the oven or under the bench.

I prefer it at bench height myself so mine is on the bench - but that is just personal preference, there is no 'usually'

Bench=counter?

Here (where I live, not talking for the US as a whole), they aren't on the counter. Sometimes they are over the oven with some kind of fan thing in place of the vent hood. In many houses or condos where the stove has a hood (like my current), they are in a build-in shelf, more commonly above the counter (to preserve counter space) but sometimes below. Removable, but they will be there with the appliances when you buy. It would be unusual for someone to take one with them when moving. (I think some places houses don't come with the other appliances either -- seen that on House Hunters International -- but here they do.)

Yes, kitchen bench = kitchen counter in other lingo, same thing.

I have never seen one of those over the stovetop models

Some people here have them on shelf above oven ( not cook top) or under bench shelf.

Or commonly on the bench itself.

is not something you would expect to be included if you buy a house - unlike the oven and cooktop which would be because they are attached.
    Houses here do not come with any appliances - except oven/cooktop.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

is not something you would expect to be included if you buy a house - unlike the oven and cooktop which would be because they are attached.

It is not something expected when you buy a house here either but is often included if it is a built-in model. Apartments almost always include a dishwasher,stove, and refrigerator but no other appliances. Houses generally include a dishwasher (because it is built in) and may or may not include other appliances like a stove and refrigerator. Occasionally they include a washer and dryer. Basically, if it is built in or the space was designed around the appliance, it stays.

The main reason why appliances are included or not is the new home for the sellers. Will their appliances fit and look good in the new place? Do they even want to bother moving them (especially if the new home already has them)? I know many who switched and took their appliances with them but brought the ones from the new home to the old.

When I bought my condo, the dishwasher and stove were included but I had to buy a refrigerator.

• cwolfman13
    . .........usually are built in above the stove in most houses and apts now and the smaller ones not take up much more space than a large toaster oven.

This must be a location thing.

I'm not sure what you mean by built in - like an oven or hot plate that you can't move??? I haven't seen any microwaves like that, they are all free standing here in Australia. All I have ever seen anyway.
    So, if you move house you take the microwave with you, it isn't built in or attached or part of the house like a stove or built in wardrobe.
    And where it goes is very variable - some kitchens have designated space, either over the oven or under the bench.

I prefer it at bench height myself so mine is on the bench - but that is just personal preference, there is no 'usually'

Bench=counter?

Here (where I live, not talking for the US as a whole), they aren't on the counter. Sometimes they are over the oven with some kind of fan thing in place of the vent hood. In many houses or condos where the stove has a hood (like my current), they are in a build-in shelf, more commonly above the counter (to preserve counter space) but sometimes below. Removable, but they will be there with the appliances when you buy. It would be unusual for someone to take one with them when moving. (I think some places houses don't come with the other appliances either -- seen that on House Hunters International -- but here they do.)

Yes, kitchen bench = kitchen counter in other lingo, same thing.

I have never seen one of those over the stovetop models

Some people here have them on shelf above oven ( not cook top) or under bench shelf.

Or commonly on the bench itself.

stainless-steel-bosch-over-the-range-microwaves-hmv3053u-77_1000.jpg
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2020
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Houses generally include a dishwasher (because it is built in) and may or may not include other appliances like a stove and refrigerator. Occasionally they include a washer and dryer. Basically, if it is built in or the space was designed around the appliance, it stays.

IME, here (Chicago), unless you are buying a place that needs serious remodeling, you can usually assume a house (or condo) will come with a refrigerator, oven/stove, dishwasher, microwave, and washer and dryer. In a condo the washer and dryer are more likely to be a stacked model. I think in some parts of the US it's not uncommon to take some of the appliances when you leave -- in fact I think my parents did that when we moved around 1980 -- but I can't imagine someone doing that here (this is the city, I know nothing about what happens in the 'burbs).

I haven't rented for over 20 years, and the last place I rented (lived there for a few years) was old and had no dishwasher (although it did have a counter microwave), no drain disposal (whatever that thing is called), and no air conditioning (and of course no in-unit washer or dryer).

On random weird kitchen things most people seem to have but I don't -- I only have a manual can opener, not one of the electric ones, and no toaster (and also no toaster oven).
  • cwolfman13
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Houses generally include a dishwasher (because it is built in) and may or may not include other appliances like a stove and refrigerator. Occasionally they include a washer and dryer. Basically, if it is built in or the space was designed around the appliance, it stays.

IME, here (Chicago), unless you are buying a place that needs serious remodeling, you can usually assume a house (or condo) will come with a refrigerator, oven/stove, dishwasher, microwave, and washer and dryer. In a condo the washer and dryer are more likely to be a stacked model. I think in some parts of the US it's not uncommon to take some of the appliances when you leave -- in fact I think my parents did that when we moved around 1980 -- but I can't imagine someone doing that here (this is the city, I know nothing about what happens in the 'burbs).

I haven't rented for over 20 years, and the last place I rented (lived there for a few years) was old and had no dishwasher (although it did have a counter microwave), no drain disposal (whatever that thing is called), and no air conditioning (and of course no in-unit washer or dryer).

On random weird kitchen things most people seem to have but I don't -- I only have a manual can opener, not one of the electric ones, and no toaster (and also no toaster oven).

It is pretty common here to take your refrigerator with you when you move...all of the other kitchen appliances stay because they are essentially built in. Washer and dryer are often negotiated.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Interesting! So I grew up in a 100 yr old brownstone....our microwave was also on a counter. Fast forward 20 years and yep/ my newer place also has a built in... though it’s a convection/microwave. We spend part of the year in Europe and we don’t even own a microwave overseas... In the US - I mostly use the micro function for reheating. Disregard the dirty oven photo 😉

navxonayjq7i.jpeg
  • cwolfman13
    edited February 2020
    Interesting! So I grew up in a 100 yr old brownstone....our microwave was also on a counter. Fast forward 20 years and yep/ my newer place also has a built in... though it’s a convection/microwave. We spend part of the year in Europe and we don’t even own a microwave overseas... In the US - I mostly use the micro function for reheating. Disregard the dirty oven photo 😉

Yeah, I was curious about when built in microwaves started to become more the norm and did a google and posted up thread. It appears that sales of counter top microwaves peaked in 2001 and have declined significantly and steadily since and the sales of built in microwaves have increased 100% since 2000. So that tells me they started to become a thing in the early 2000's. Every new build I've seen since, I'd say, about 2005 has them built in.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Yeah, I was curious about when built in microwaves started to become more the norm and did a google and posted up thread. It appears that sales of counter top microwaves peaked in 2001 and have declined significantly and steadily since and the sales of built in microwaves have increased 100% since 2000. So that tells me they started to become a thing in the early 2000's. Every new build I've seen since, I'd say, about 2005 has them built in.

I was reading through and thinking to myself that they became popular in the early to mid 2000's when I got to your post which confirmed as much.
  • cwolfman13
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I was reading through and thinking to myself that they became popular in the early to mid 2000's when I got to your post which confirmed as much.

What's kind of funny is that when we lived in Nebraska the place my dad worked for as an administrator provided the house...they didn't pay much, but they provided a pretty nice house. This was in 1983 or thereabouts and it had a built in microwave. I had never actually seen a microwave before, either counter top or built in. I thought we were the Jetsons or something. That thing was a behemoth too.
  • wwwtheselion11
    wwwtheselion11 Posts: 422 Member
    I want a in wall microwave. I can feel the radiation coming of my microwave. I hate microwaves. Would not mind a dry fryer
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    I want a in wall microwave. I can feel the radiation coming of my microwave. I hate microwaves. Would not mind a dry fryer

What do you mean by 'I can feel the radiation coming off my microwave', @wwwtheselion11?