Confusion on calories in shrimp

Options
13»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    KeysKat wrote: »
    I bought a bag of frozen jumbo shrimp at Walmart. The bag says 6 shrimp= 4 ounces = 140 calories.
    When I look on the MFP database that is waaay more than what any other resource says for shrimp/oz.

How do you know what is correct? Do you just assume that what is on the package you purchased is correct? Or the USDA?

A lot of times when I run into this, the difference is pretty small, but for shrimp...it is a huge difference.

Make sure you are using the correct database entry for the size of shrimp you have, assuming they still have their tails on. 4 oz of colossal shrimp will have less waste, and more calories, than 4 oz of medium shrimp with all the tails you have to throw away.

Beyond that, go with the package which is more likely to be correct.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    HarlemNY17 wrote: »
    HarlemNY17 wrote: »
    Because it's a Processed food

See, that's where you went wrong, OP, you should have stuck your face directly in a rock pool, caught them with your teeth and eaten them alive and wriggling. No pesky confusing packaging that way.

Actually you should do you're research on why processed foods are high in calories and sodium . They don't just take shrimp throw them in the bag and put them in freezers.

Actually, they pretty much do.