Hobbies that keep you away from mindless eating -- success anyone?

Options
allamuchyprof
allamuchyprof Posts: 13 Member
Hi everyone
I noticed that as long as I am doing something (crafts or something) I am eating far less. At least less mindless junky eating.

Anyone take up knitting or crocheting? Did it help you control mindless eating? Any success? I ask this because I am going to learn to crochet in hopes this will change dumb eating behaviors :)

Replies

• jlynn1991
    jlynn1991 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of cleaning and organizing. I have a 4 year old, always something that can be cleaned up. It keeps me away from the snacks.
  • trish2016
    trish2016 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Boxfit in my local boxing gym and animal rescue dont have the time to eat plus cleaning up after all the animals keeps me active
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Anything that needs to have clean hands. Games on the tablet are OK for this, otherwise scrapbooking. I used to do more knitting and sewing by carpal tunnel and needing varifocals has more or less done for that - I can sew but I need really good light.
  • shadowbaby4
    shadowbaby4 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I absolutely credit crochet with reducing my snacking/desire for snacking. When my hands are busy, I don't think about food. Good luck learning to crochet! It's tough at first, but worth the effort!
  • Brandie091286
    Brandie091286 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like to play Free Roaming type of video games that allow you to explore! Im currently into Skyrim for Playstation 4 and i swear i get lost in it, hours go by before i realize it! However, it does cause me to forget things like Laundry lol. Im just beginning my weight loss journey and feel like this will definitely help me cut back on snacking and going back for seconds at dinner time.
  • MissMandyT85
    MissMandyT85 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm looking into a Cricut. That will keep me busy and for sure curb any of that bored eating!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    puzzles...sewing...and walking on the treadmill...I must have something to do when watching TV so I just find myself munching...
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Over the weekend I got addicted to a computer game (not that I suggest you play games all weekend like I did) but I looked at the clock and it had been several hours and I didnt think of food at all lol! After that I went for a long hike, which also keeps me from snacking.
  • AskMorphis
    AskMorphis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Sports, working, and being social. Anything that requires focus, and that you're engaged in may make you forget about your stomach.

I've been in situation where I felt like starving at 5pm before going out to socialize, went out, didn't eat/drink, went back home at 11pm, and felt marginaly hungry only then.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I apologize in advance if this isn't what you're looking for here...but for me, the best way to prevent mindless eating has been taking the option of snacking away. I pre-log most of my meals and make them really good and by that I mean, healthy, nice macros, but plenty of appealing foods I like and "treats" included. But I don't ever snack, really. I mean, maybe 1 snack in a month. I just eat meals at relatively scheduled mealtimes.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Don't buy the junk and it won't be available to you!

Video games and mobile games are my go to.. but I can also get up and walk around outside and play with my dogs, or I can hop on my treadmill turn the TV on, and walk it off.
  • peckchris3267
    peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Fishing, tying flies for fly fishing, shooting, and re loading ammo.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Don't quite get what mindless eating is. I'm obsessed with eating and I'm all in with every bite I take, every time. If it was indeed mindless, it seems it would be a breeze to break the habit as such.

Think of it as pantomiming a Doritos Funnel.
  • allamuchyprof
    allamuchyprof Posts: 13 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I can't wait to learn to crochet. Mindless eating to me, means....sitting there with snacks and no true hunger. Before I know it, mindlessly, the large bag of chips are gone! I ate them all!! Didn't think about what I was doing....just ate away like a miss piggy lol
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I can't wait to learn to crochet. Mindless eating to me, means....sitting there with snacks and no true hunger. Before I know it, mindlessly, the large bag of chips are gone! I ate them all!! Didn't think about what I was doing....just ate away like a miss piggy lol

I have literally never done that and please believe that I'm not saying that as a humble brag whatsoever because I definitely have eaten huge portions and unnecessary sweets and snacks galore in my life and even to this day...but I guess it's a thing that varies by person, because it's hard for me to even imagine that happening. I feel like after a few chips in that situation I'd be bored of the taste and go get some chocolate or fruit or nuts...
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Knitter here! And gym (classes a few times a week keep me on schedule & I'm less likely to back out!) after work & shower at the gym so by the time I get home it's almost time for bed @ 9:00... I tend not go to sleep til 10:00, but watch some Netflix. I have been trying to add more social time w friends each week & get them to go for a walk/hike with me