Hobbies that keep you away from mindless eating -- success anyone?

Options

Replies

• Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Woodworking:
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Knitting, cross-stitch, puzzles, coloring, whatever random craft I'm interested in at the moment. I tend to watch an hour or two of TV before I go to bed and I used to mindlessly snack during that time. I have to "multi-task" when I watch TV so having hobbies that use my hands helps avoid the snacking. Recently I got into this subscription box service where you basically get to pretend to be a detective and you get letters and clues and stuff to solve the case. I can spend hours on it without even realizing it. That's helped divert my attention when I have a lot of time to myself and find myself wanting to bordom-eat. There is also a crafting subscription box if you enjoy crafting but don't necessarily have just one or two things you like to stick to. I haven't tried that one though.
  • lvmycats
    lvmycats Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    a lot of arts work well for this purpose :) for me, ceramics, metalworking, and leatherworking make me feel to gross afterward to eat for a good few hours. Hope this helps :D
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I knit and crochet as well. Hard to nibble if you are corralling yarn and hook or yarn and needles.

I cross stitch as well but I'm not ready to pick up needles and fabric again.
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Being here! Whenever I want to eat, even though I'm not hungry, I come here and reply to posts and participate in conversations. I welcome the new pals and it's a good distraction.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of needle work that keep me occupied - knitting, embroidery and sewing
    But really as long as I keep my hands busy and full I can't eat So it also works for colouring, ironing and really anything A stress ball has helped me at times as well at work
  • trish2016
    trish2016 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Boxfit and animal rescue
  • PAGinger
    PAGinger Posts: 118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Working on my manuscript keeps hands and mind busy...can't eat when both are otherwise occupied!
  • allamuchyprof
    allamuchyprof Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Okay for all you knitters and crochet friends....how many of you are self-taught? Videos, books, YouTube -- anyone? Success? It will be nice for me to focus more on this stuff than food when I am bored lol :)
  • boredloser
    boredloser Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Drawing, can't eat if your hands are occupied. Same with gaming, although it hasn't stopped me in the past from mindlessly munching on garbage between respawns..

Also walking, because I hate walking and eating at the same time.
  • allamuchyprof
    allamuchyprof Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Speziface
    These woodworking pieces are beautiful!!!!!
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    @Speziface
    Incredible!
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    Okay for all you knitters and crochet friends....how many of you are self-taught? Videos, books, YouTube -- anyone? Success? It will be nice for me to focus more on this stuff than food when I am bored lol :)

I'm a left handed knitter and crotcher. Knit I learned by sitting directly across from a right handed knitter friend and mirrored her movements. Crochet I took from YouTube. Now any time I run into a stitch or technique I don't know, I slide right to YouTube and find all the lefty videos for me to use.

I've had some success. I also have a friend who's a knitter of 9 years, so I have her double check me if I think I've buggered something.
  • Speziface
    Options
    EmbeeKay wrote: »
    @Speziface
    Incredible!

Like the thread title says: it keeps away from mindless eating.

Although right now I'm working on a mug. For beer. Oy.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Knitting has been great for stopping mindless eating.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    Speziface wrote: »
    @Speziface
    Incredible!

Can we get pics when it's done? Your woodwork is fantastic!
  • lyssamichelle
    lyssamichelle Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Mostly I read. I just start sewing, it's great. I've thought about crocheting.

Keeps my mind and hands busy... and my foot lol. Plus it's super good for my anxiety. So I don't snack and I don't lose my mind. lol
  • Speziface
    Options
    Speziface wrote: »
    @Speziface
    Incredible!

Can we get pics when it's done? Your woodwork is fantastic!

Will do!