Hobbies that keep you away from mindless eating -- success anyone?

Options

Replies

• Kimra0529
    Kimra0529 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Scrap booking!
  • Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I crochet while chewing bubble gum. Works at night when the cravings hit.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Even though Charles Krauthammer accuses it of causing one to drink Aqua Velva at 2 a.m., chess. At speed or bullet, there's no time to eat.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Speziface wrote: »
    EmbeeKay wrote: »
    @Speziface
    Incredible!

Like the thread title says: it keeps away from mindless eating.

Although right now I'm working on a mug. For beer. Oy.

Can we get pics when it's done? Your woodwork is fantastic!

You asked, and you receive:
    qz90ccuhk56y.jpg
    m1yuyxru47uy.jpg

Love it!

Great beverage choice also!
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I play video games, keeps your hands and mind occupied.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    Video games
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Okay for all you knitters and crochet friends....how many of you are self-taught? Videos, books, YouTube -- anyone? Success? It will be nice for me to focus more on this stuff than food when I am bored lol :)

I taught myself with www.knittinghelp.com. I've also heard good things about Very Pink Knits (not sure of the URL).

If you haven't started already, I will advise you not to get the funky novelty yarns to start out with. Get something with nothing hanging off of it, no funky textures, and a decent thickness but my super fat. Red Heart Super Saver is good. If ou want something softer, go with something like Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn. A lot of times new knitters are drawn to the fun stuff, but it's REALLY hard to knit with. Learn on the basics in a fun color before you grab the eyelash or chenille yarn.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Making jewelry, visual journaling (you draw/paint/collage stuff, not just write - since it's a journal, doesn't matter if it looks presentable or not) - the first photo is a twofer ;) ), and jewelry making.

• JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    Cyber stalking
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I live on almost an acre so I spend a lot of time working on the yard. We're also house hunting and so we're starting to go through a bunch of crap at the house that we need to get rid of before we move.
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    mhbb4diuwqb3.jpg

I like the pattern on this bowl, but I think it really stands out in the curved corners. I'm going to have to try another checkered bowl but make it round with shallower sides.
  • rdix333
    rdix333 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Playing guitar, and writing music.
  • Speziface
    Options
    tamlou89 wrote: »
    I like to paint or decorate, started to upcycle and I have just finished this for my little girl. My first attempt at decoupage bmkwf1plo8k7.jpg
    y90cf2bhpyqe.jpg

Looks good, but if you apply some polyurethane over it'll stand up to wear and tear a lot better. You can get the low-odor water-based stuff at any hardware store; it goes on very easily with a foam brush.
  • activities1
    activities1 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I have a side business :)
  • Speziface
    Options
    I like to paint or decorate, started to upcycle and I have just finished this for my little girl. My first attempt at decoupage bmkwf1plo8k7.jpg
    y90cf2bhpyqe.jpg

Looks good, but if you apply some polyurethane over it'll stand up to wear and tear a lot better. You can get the low-odor water-based stuff at any hardware store; it goes on very easily with a foam brush.

Thank you I did put a coat of clear varnish over it, I will get some for the next one.

The Minwax water-based polyurethane (in the blue can) can be applied over just about any hard finish. Give the varnish a while (at least a month) to cure and you should be able to apply the poly right over it. But, as always, I recommend testing it on an inconspicuous spot or a test piece just in case things react badly.
  • Speziface
    Options
    o0df45qz3q7h.jpg

Just a simple little dice box that I made as a proof-of-concept piece for something a bit more ambitious.
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I saw others mention video games - definitely true, you can't hold a controller in one hand lol

But yes, in the day when I painted a lot, I'd go hours without eating or smoking (err...) when working on an inspired piece.

Crochet and knitting works too, but it's easy to burn yourself out on very monotonous pieces. I did it for a living for 2 years. I recently closed due to burn out and carpal tunnel...
  • Speziface
    Options
    soqv1g6gmi5u.png
    dh7a2u8yv3rr.png
    vojoe4w5taxq.png

Another scroll saw bowl. Made this one with cubes of various species just put together randomly. (It's sitting on some scrap wood because the finish is still fresh.)