If my fiance brings home one more package of Oreo's, I might go full-rage.

Options
I love my darling partner, but he doesn't get it. He's fit, trim, can eat whatever he wants, and has a sweet tooth that would make Willy Wonka cringe. I'll say this up front, because this could absolutely be an unfair request that I've made of him: I've asked him to stop bringing home sweets (i.e cookies, cakes, pies, candy, etc.) in order to help support my need to change my eating habits. He graciously goes to the farmers market with me, spends time exercising with me, and overall is very wonderful. That being said, I keep finding family-size packages of Double Stuffed Oreos in our pantry. I jokingly told him to find a better hiding spot, thinking that it's probably not too fair to make him suffer the loss of junk food with me, but I'm telling you - the jealousy I have around his ability to eat whatever he wants and not gain weight is making me silently rage! I'm currently doing Whole30, and in the beginning stages of detox/sugar withdrawal, and I swear it's making me go into "Beast Mode." Endy ranty rant here to confront cookie package with kitchen knife, a la Inigo Montoya - "...prepare to die."

:wink:

Replies

• steelaxitute2127
    steelaxitute2127 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Ugh, see, I'm the one with the huge sweet tooth. And also the one who's trying to lose more weight. My partner can care less about sweets and is more into savory food. I love savory food too, but put a delicious donut or cookie in front of me and I'm screwed! lol The beast comes out in me too when I don't have sugar in a certain amount of time. How do you guys abstain?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    hmm.. http://a.co/eMHBDzX (bwahaha- solution)
  • _NicLovin_
    _NicLovin_ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    hmm.. http://a.co/eMHBDzX (bwahaha- solution)

Or this...

0z0lkv2l11a4.gif

Oh my god, I'm dying!! So funny!! :smiley:
  • _NicLovin_
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Another vote for the separate cabinet approach.

You need a long term solution... long term enough to encompass marriage (hopefully a long, long time) and possibly children. Lemme tell you, kid snacks are every bit as tempting. Unless you want to be "that parent" that banishes snack food which I don't advice since kids do need to learn to moderate themselves with that stuff. Unless you live and work alone, you will be facing temptations on the regular. Relying on others to change their pattern isn't a very reliable strategy.

The strategy that works best for me is planning treats I really & truly love -- more than oreos & kid snacks. It's easier to say "no" to one thing when you say "yes" to something better. Not sure how that fits into your Whole30 regimen. Maybe it doesn't. Maybe you need a regimen that is a better fit to your long term strategy?

I completely agree! Long term, I'm continuing to work on mindfulness and meditation as a way to moderate my relationship with food and willpower (as well as other things - work, life in general - haha); however, I think I do need to make some simple structural changes, and love the idea of planning treats, separate cupboards, and I'm learning to reward myself in other ways than food (i.e. a new dress or fun outing).

Thanks for your suggestions!
  • _NicLovin_
    Options

You couldn't pay me to do Whole 30 unless I was trying to figure out what might be giving me digestive issues (I don't have any so don't need to do an elimination diet) because I would 100% inhale my fridge at some point along the line.

Lol, been there before.
  • _NicLovin_
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I love the input, and very much appreciate the advice and humor. Soon, they will no longer call me the Oreo Assassin. :D<3
  • _NicLovin_
    Options
    Ioneda - yes! Actually, there are things that he likes that I don't - for instance, all those Entenmann's packaged sweets, which to me just taste like a weird chemical concoction gone wrong. Funny you mention hearing the rustling around - I hear the same, particularly around 1 or 2 am. Hahaha.