If my fiance brings home one more package of Oreo's, I might go full-rage.

Options

Replies

• _NicLovin_
    _NicLovin_ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Honestly, cakes/cookies/pies/donuts don't even phase me any more because I know I can enjoy something else that will actually fill me up. I don't care what's in the house, I'm probably not gonna eat it.

Because of my new found need to eat healthier/lighter/less and I cook dinner (and meals on weekends), I've impacted my BF's diet big time. He could afford to lose 10-15lbs himself, but refuses to "Count Calories".

I actually welcome him getting "treats" for himself because I know that if it was up to him, we'd eat pizza, spaghetti/meat sauce or tacos EVERY NIGHT. And sometimes I feel guilty that I don't make those things as much as I once had. Now we are eating much more salad, veggies and much less pasta/bread. Not because it's "bad" but because I have a hard time not eating a ton of it. I feel fuller and more satisfied on lean meats, veggies and grains/potatoes, so that's what I make.

Secretly, I'm hoping that the way I cook at home may have an impact on his weight as well, but I do know he doesn't have much willpower at work. Donuts/pie/cake/cookies everywhere and he doesn't say no very often.

Now, we were at Smashburger (who know has their calorie counts on their menus) the other day for lunch and he ordered Grilled Chicken over Crispy Chicken because it has less calories. And he commented on the fact that the calorie counts at Buffalo Wild Wings are WAY more than he ever thought they'd be. I think my calorie counting MAY be rubbing off in small ways.

That's awesome! I've been so glad to have a lot of restaurants make their nutritional info so much more accessible, because I know it definitely helps me to see those numbers on a menu.

I think my partner would totally second what yours encounters at work - my guy is a distributor for Ben & Jerry's/Good Humor ice cream products, so they get samples/extras ALL the time, which he indulges in at work, and sometimes brings that home as well. I've been taking a similar approach at home, and hoping that the way that I cook will have a positive impact for him as well.
  • _NicLovin_
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Being a woman is difficult ;)

Yes. Just, YES! :wink:
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Halo Top is my go to I need a sweet thing now hangry food. I guess that is not Whole30 friendly. I also keep berries around for snacking for light desserts, sometimes with light cool whip. But I also am married to a giant who stores his stuff where I can't reach it >.<
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    My wife has the unnatural ability to just eat 2 Oreos, or 3 squares of a Hershey's bar, or 1 part of a Twix, and then slowly make her way through the remainder over the course of days. On Sunday morning, I found a single Pop-Tart in cling wrap in a cabinet that I really didn't think we ever used.

I feel your pain!

My wife is the same. Annoys the hell out of me.

I'm more or less the same - I actually realized recently that my taste-buds are especially sensitive to sweetness, which makes it hard to distinguish flavors in candy, for example, and make too much sugar at once really overwhelming. I can pretty much eat a small handful of whatever and be done. I've been like that as long as I can remember and I genuinely never put together why. It's not willpower, that's for sure!
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    My wife has the unnatural ability to just eat 2 Oreos, or 3 squares of a Hershey's bar, or 1 part of a Twix, and then slowly make her way through the remainder over the course of days. On Sunday morning, I found a single Pop-Tart in cling wrap in a cabinet that I really didn't think we ever used.

I feel your pain!

I'm more or less the same - I actually realized recently that my taste-buds are especially sensitive to sweetness, which makes it hard to distinguish flavors in candy, for example, and make too much sugar at once really overwhelming. I can pretty much eat a small handful of whatever and be done. I've been like that as long as I can remember and I genuinely never put together why. It's not willpower, that's for sure!

You are lucky
  • npane
    npane Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just had to stash a plastic container of brownies that my husband made off the kitchen counter into a cabinet where I can't see them every time I walk by! I do have to give myself credit for putting them away without opening the lid.LOL!
  • _NicLovin_
    Options
    npane wrote: »
    I just had to stash a plastic container of brownies that my husband made off the kitchen counter into a cabinet where I can't see them every time I walk by! I do have to give myself credit for putting them away without opening the lid.LOL!

Haha, I hear ya. As silly as it seems, I pat myself on the back every time I resist temptation like that! :wink:
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

I feel your pain!

You are lucky

You should see me with a bag of popcorn, or potato chips.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have different goals so we eat differently. He has foods I just can't right now and his portion size is about double mine.

What has worked for me has been stocking up on treats I can have and want. When a craving hits or I see him indulging I have my go to goodies. Lately for me it has been coconut Greek yogurt, sometimes with mini chocolate chips mixed in if I have the extra calories.
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My husband is incredibly disciplined with food & doesn't have even a smidgeon of a sweet tooth. I'm simultaneously annoyed by it & extremely grateful, lol.

On a side note, I thought your post was light-hearted but sincere, & amusing. Not sure why a few commenters seemed to take it so seriously.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in intentionally abstaining from any food in a permanent way. It sets me up for misery and failure to think this way. I did a whole30 month and hated every single second, was hungry all the time, and I was mean. Life is too short to be in that kind of misery.

Instead, I often make choices which remove certain things from my daily intake because I choose other things but I always allow myself to eat what I want and then keep a tight rein on my calories. I quickly discover that the cookie wasn't worth it or the serving of chips wasn't as enjoyable as I had imagined and my choices change to more satisfying and ultimately more nutrient dense options.

Prelogging meals can help me stick with my plan. It annoys me to go back and change things if I adjusted something. "I planned chicken and broccoli salad and it took forever to log all the ingredients so I'm eating my chicken and broccoli salad."
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Assign him a drawer to put his stuff in, and never open it.
  • HIITHolly
    HIITHolly Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love my darling partner, but he doesn't get it. He's fit, trim, can eat whatever he wants, and has a sweet tooth that would make Willy Wonka cringe. I'll say this up front, because this could absolutely be an unfair request that I've made of him: I've asked him to stop bringing home sweets (i.e cookies, cakes, pies, candy, etc.) in order to help support my need to change my eating habits. He graciously goes to the farmers market with me, spends time exercising with me, and overall is very wonderful. That being said, I keep finding family-size packages of Double Stuffed Oreos in our pantry. I jokingly told him to find a better hiding spot, thinking that it's probably not too fair to make him suffer the loss of junk food with me, but I'm telling you - the jealousy I have around his ability to eat whatever he wants and not gain weight is making me silently rage! I'm currently doing Whole30, and in the beginning stages of detox/sugar withdrawal, and I swear it's making me go into "Beast Mode." Endy ranty rant here to confront cookie package with kitchen knife, a la Inigo Montoya - "...prepare to die."

:wink:

I have the exact same problem! I've asked him to chill on the junk or eat it when I'm not around and his answer is always "you're the one on a diet not me. If you can't have it doesn't mean I should stop" !!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    You are correct it is unfair...
    If you want to not eat oreos oh I don't know be an adult and say no I won't eat that????

and btw you can eat whatever you want in moderate quantities just like your husband and not gain weight...

I don't get why our partners need to change for us...esp if you won't change for him, because apparently you aren't willing to not eat his oreos...after all they are his...

Possibly the best advice I've ever seen here. 100%. So right. Should follow this everyday. Printing it out to stick on my mirror. Be an adult, and don't expect compromise in a partner. Got it. Winning in life now.

you forgot to add /sarcasm

but seriously he is compromising as per the OP...he
    He graciously goes to the farmers market with me, spends time exercising with me, and overall is very wonderful.

so because he won't compromise more he is the one who is well...the bad one here...

she admitted in her post it was unfair...and me agreeing with her makes me the bad one too...interesting.

and like I said why should he change if she won't????? compromise is a good thing and he has done his share from what I read.