What made you get serious about weight loss?

Options
pastelcarly
pastelcarly Posts: 8 Member
Hi guys, I was talking to a friend the other day who is also on his weight loss journey. He had gone into a store and was upset that nothing there fit him & it made me think of the first time I walked into a store and had the same experience. It then got me to thinking of how many embarrassing moments like that I have had, yet none of those were game changers for me despite how upset I was. Funny enough, for me I had a dream where I was at my favorite restaurant (go figure) and I walked past a big mirror where I looked at myself and thought "I am so tired of this reflection", then I woke up and finally started a serious diet in which I've lost just over 20 pounds so far.

So now I'm curious when you guys finally started to get serious about weight loss, was there something significant thing that happened or was it some random thought like mine?

(I was looking to see if I could find a similar thread to this one cause I feel like it may be a common topic, but I didn't see anything, either way I apologize if this has already been discussed!)

Replies

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I have a small frame and tend to gain weight on my stomach. I gained 10 lbs and had two clients ask me if I was pregnant!

I didn't realize that I had gained the 10 lbs...my clothing size didn't change and I didn't weigh myself often. I decided to nip that *kitten* in the bud and be more conscious.

I'm not concerned with weight loss, but would like to improve body composition. The pregnancy questions made me more aware of my already perceived "flaws".
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I lost the roulette spin and got an obesity-related complication. In my case, the veins in my legs collapsed (refluxed) due to having to support too much... me. My lymphatic system got squeezed. And, when I got cellulitus, it led to lymphedema... which gave me one leg twice the size of the other with a weeping wound that took multiple courses of antibiotics to treat and daily visits from home-care nurses for dressing changes. It also got me a referral to a vascular surgeon, who diagnosed the underlying condition. And I was told that the condition can be managed, not cured. And the way to manage it is compression stockings... and weight loss. Let's just call that the kick in the kitten I needed.
  • etmiller1975
    etmiller1975 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That someone almost had to tell my wife I died on a location because I was so out off shape I ran out of air in my escape pack trying to evacuate. Truly eye opening moment in my life that could have ended mine and ruined hers and my kids.
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    I lost the roulette spin and got an obesity-related complication. In my case, the veins in my legs collapsed (refluxed) due to having to support too much... me. My lymphatic system got squeezed. And, when I got cellulitus, it led to lymphedema... which gave me one leg twice the size of the other with a weeping wound that took multiple courses of antibiotics to treat and daily visits from home-care nurses for dressing changes. It also got me a referral to a vascular surgeon, who diagnosed the underlying condition. And I was told that the condition can be managed, not cured. And the way to manage it is compression stockings... and weight loss. Let's just call that the kick in the kitten I needed.

Did you find a good lymphedema therapist to help you with those compression stockings?

For me I couldn't find my d for d pics so I hads to change that.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Birth control was my first downfall. I developed thyroid issues and anxiety/depression from the hormones (or something, I'm honestly still confused about everything that happened to my body). Every dr I went to made me feel like a head case.

I finally found a dr who actually cared if I improved or not, and she helped me work through it all. The weight loss has been a pleasant side effect of getting healthier.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I wanted to be @CoffeeAndContour 's friend
  • estherdragonbat
    edited August 2017
    Options
    JLAJ81 wrote: »

Did you find a good lymphedema therapist to help you with those compression stockings?

No, my vascular surgeon gave me a prescription and the place I went to fill it showed me how. I've been back to the VC for follow-up (due for another appointment in a couple of months) and everything was fine.

ETA: In case I wasn't clear in my first post, the swelling did go down as the wound healed. Both legs are now normal. However, I tend to go into full-blown panic mode now over any little cut/scrape/mosquito bite on my left lower leg, because the risk of infection is now greater and usually needs oral antibiotics to treat (which gives me a concern about building up a resistance due to necessary, but frequent, prescriptions.) Thankfully, I haven't had any problems in over six months, now. The last was the night my treadmill tried to kill me by accelerating from 3.2 to 5.3 mph as I was stepping on. Ground my left leg into the basement carpet and have a 1"x3" scar still.
    I use a fitness glider now.
  • JLAJ81
    Options
    JLAJ81 wrote: »

No, my vascular surgeon gave me a prescription and the place I went to fill it showed me how. I've been back to the VC for follow-up (due for another appointment in a couple of months) and everything was fine.

If you have lymphedema you should get the area massage regularly to get the liquid moving and to open up the lymph glands. You should also have the area measured for a properly fitting garment and to see if any progress is being made. This is a serious condition and can result it loss of limbs.
  • CILLAJ8
    CILLAJ8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Being diagnosed with high blood pressure after my daughter was born. Realized I need to take care of me so I can take care of my kids. I want to set a good example with nutrition and exercise. My husband is on board too which helps keep the junk out of the house.
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    I realize that, but it's being monitored and I have checkups every six months. The VS hasn't mentioned any need for massage at this time.
  • JLAJ81
    Options
    I realize that, but it's being monitored and I have checkups every six months. The VS hasn't mentioned any need for massage at this time.

The reason you have the weeping wound is because the area isn't being massaged and the liquid is sitting in one spot! If you massage the area or I should say if you get a physical therapist that specializes in lymphedema to massage the area the wound will get better.
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    I don't have the weeping wound anymore. It healed up back in December.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    My weight made me serious about weight loss.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm not about weight loss per say, but more so being fit and defying the aging process. I hit 39 started separation process. Bought a convertible. Hit the gym. It's been over 10 years . Likely will never leave the lifestyle
  • gteachey
    gteachey Posts: 37 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Same as rebel_26. I've see-sawed with my fitness. The first two times it was goals related. First was a family competition to see who could lose the most weight, second was for a 5K obstacle course run.

Now, I just want to feel like I did when I was trying to be healthier. Less indigestion, more awake, better joint strength cause I'm getting arthritis now.

Oh, and fit my clothes again! I started to lose nearly two thirds of my wardrobe because I got so heavy. I don't want to buy new clothes for being so overweight!