Options
    Bump this back to the top :-)
  • Angybabefitzg
    Angybabefitzg Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sweets154
    Options
    Ok, I have scrolled through 19+ pages of this thread so hope the veterans of this site aren't going to roll eyes too much when I ask for clarification on a small bit. I understand the rationale about eating back exercise calories for weight loss but I don't quite follow the connection to how if you don't do this you will struggle more to maintain once you reach your target weight. How does that happen?

Also, in what timeframe do you eat back your exercise calories? I currently am quite inconsistent about my calorie intake on different days so over a week it probably evens out, although on any specific day probably not. Does that matter?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have scrolled through 19+ pages of this thread so hope the veterans of this site aren't going to roll eyes too much when I ask for clarification on a small bit. I understand the rationale about eating back exercise calories for weight loss but I don't quite follow the connection to how if you don't do this you will struggle more to maintain once you reach your target weight. How does that happen?

Also, in what timeframe do you eat back your exercise calories? I currently am quite inconsistent about my calorie intake on different days so over a week it probably evens out, although on any specific day probably not. Does that matter?

the easiest way to think about maintenance (post weight loss) is that it takes time to develop a habit, the more drastic the change, the more difficult that development will be. So gradually shrinking your calorie deficit as you progress towards your goals is the easiest way to ease yourself into a maintenance schedule. One of the big reasons why so many people "diet and fail" is because they are cutting calories way back, then immediately returning to their "pre-diet" habits after, that's bad news for your body, shocking it is not a good idea in this situation.

Generally, you want to space out your calories throughout the day, so the best idea is to try to plan for workout days and increase all your meals by a small amount rather than realizing at 6 pm that you've burned an extra 500 calories that day and try to scramble to shove that extra food in before you go to bed. I.E. if you are relatively sure you'll be working out that day, plan for that when you figure out your food before hand, this way you're ready from the start. It takes a small amount of preparation, but it's far easier to sustain this way.
  • sar123bear
    Options
    saving to my topics :)
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • RilantheFirebug
    RilantheFirebug Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Saving for later.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Bump....I finally get it.
  • Dimples1975
    Dimples1975 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This was so helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time to educate us on this matter.
  • Utahgirl12
    Utahgirl12 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Bump.....wish I'd read this years ago.....would have saved a lot of heart ache :(

Thanks
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Bumping.
  • TisMeEggin
    TisMeEggin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bump :drinker: Thank you!
  • relly1008
    relly1008 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!!!
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    FINALLY! Someone explains to the people out there how it works. I've seen people (and read posts by people) who eat 1000 calories a day, burn 1000 calories through exercise and think this is the healthy way... There is so much false information out there. Thanks for this thread!
  • AmbyrJayde
    AmbyrJayde Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    hmm I'm afraid to try this...
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jsygurl
    jsygurl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a way to favourite posts so that they were easy to refer to!
  • lstone03
    lstone03 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump
  • koalahugs
    Options
    Bump! This was a great post!